Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 01:04 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,793,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, semantics are important. Incredibly important. They're the definitions of words. The things we use to communicate. If we don't get them right, communication is broken.
But it's important to be able to interpret what people mean, even if their verbage is incorrect. Without trying to sound elitist, it's the burden of the superior intellect to translate from the lowest common denominator.

Put another way, if someone is obviously using the wrong words, I can pretend like I don't know what they mean because they didn't use the right words, or I can gauge my response accordingly based on what they meant. In the cases where that isn't possible online, I simply don't offer a response.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:05 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,890,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
So what you do you care? You're going to get all butthurt because some guys want women younger than you?

Some things simply have to be dealt with. Not every woman wants bald guys, so I go after the ones who do (as I'm bald myself). I'm not gonna sit around and cry about how I'm not every woman's type.
No, I'm going to laugh at them because in that time I found someone and they are still on dating sites. Years from now I'll be married and they'll still be on the dating sites.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I am saying it's not an absolute as some here think.
Who? I'm curious who you're responding to that is saying these things are absolute.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:06 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
But it's important to be able to interpret what people mean, even if their verbage is incorrect. Without trying to sound elitist, it's the burden of the superior intellect to translate from the lowest common denominator.

Or, if someone is obviously using the wrong words, I can pretend like I don't know what they mean because they didn't use the right words, or I can gauge my response accordingly based on what they meant. In the cases where that isn't possible online, I simply don't offer a response.

That, or we can correct their usage/misuse.

Just playing along, I think, does a disservice to those that misuse the terms. It provides endorsement of their misuse.

Just MO.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:10 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
Quote:
This is true, if for no other reason than you don't know any of these other things when you first see someone. I see a hot woman, I'll approach her. If, during that encounter, she gives me reason to believe that the other things are lacking (intelligence, especially...but many of these factors), then it won't last much longer.
Exactly.

Quote:
I guess. It doesn't to me. I can't imagine "going after" or hitting on someone until I've already determined there is chemistry. I'm not going to randomly ask someone out that I haven't spoken to. That's pretty odd. What is the point.
Well, "going after" in this context, to me, means approaching someone with romantic or sexual interest. I've been hit on by plenty of men for nothing more than my appearance. And by hit on - I mean anything from getting asked out to simply approaching me with the intent to get to know me better. And these men ran the gamut from never seeing me before in their lives to knowing me very well.

Quote:
People are getting caught up in semantics. I wouldn't randomly ask someone out like that. But I WOULD randomly start talking to someone just because they're hot, and go from there.
I have been randomly asked out like that. I don't think it's a common thing to do but it does happen.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:11 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,682 times
Most girls who are my age do not get with older men.
I know one girl who has sugar daddy.
He paid for her clothes, car, tuition ,and apartment.

Quote:
That, or we can correct their usage/misuse.

Just playing along, I think, does a disservice to those that misuse the terms. It provides endorsement of their misuse.

Just MO.
Oh, I definitely agree with the underlined. But your post isn't "correcting", it's "playing dumb". I don't mean any offense by that, but I can't think of another way to put it. It's like you're pretending to not know what they mean just so they sound stupid. And while that's plenty fun, it drags threads like this out painfully.

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
No, I'm going to laugh at them because in that time I found someone and they are still on dating sites. Years from now I'll be married and they'll still be on the dating sites.
How do you know they're still on the dating sites if you're not on the dating sites?

Old 02-11-2015, 01:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
Me to stoopid. Sorrey.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I have been randomly asked out like that. I don't think it's a common thing to do but it does happen.
I should have mentioned that as well. It totally happens. I don't do it, nor do the guys in timberline's circle, but it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships