Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 03:05 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,728,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
The first won't have much time for you. It can often times be a pointless relationship, unless you're just looking for sex once or twice a week.

The second actually wants to see you. Most people that are obsessed with their jobs are just brainwashed into thinking it is going to bring them some enormous happiness and amazing fortune. What is fortune when you don't have time to spend it?

I would rather date a girl with the 9-5, and you can be ambitious with that schedule as well. Many engineers work 9-5.

If I were rich, I'd ask my partner if she only wanted to work part time so we could have the perfectly happy gender roles of the past centuries before feminism struck. Take me back to the 50s
Not in my experience! (15 years in the industry.)

Fortunately, my BF finds ambition and drive to be sexy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 03:12 PM

4,036 posts, read 2,691,217 times
OP, how about dating who you connect with?

Old 02-12-2015, 03:12 PM

20,687 posts, read 19,833,013 times
My coworkers (engineers and other higher ups) work 7-4.
Ambitious doesn't always mean long hours.

But if you already know you will be annoyed if she comes home late everyday, don't date an ambitious woman

Old 02-12-2015, 03:41 PM

957 posts, read 1,056,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
My coworkers (engineers and other higher ups) work 7-4.
Ambitious doesn't always mean long hours.

But if you already know you will be annoyed if she comes home late everyday, don't date an ambitious woman
This.

I used to over achieve and work stupid hours when I was younger. I work 8-5 now and I don't answer calls or emails for work outside of those hours. Leave work at work!

Old 02-12-2015, 03:42 PM

743 posts, read 827,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Not in my experience! (15 years in the industry.)

Fortunately, my BF finds ambition and drive to be sexy.
I seek a woman who has the ambition and drive to be a good partner, and possibly a mother one day. Not one that wants to chase money and slave away at a job. To each their own, I guess.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:52 PM

51,931 posts, read 52,342,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
I guess the 9-5 type. My girlfriend is hardworking but we'd both rather be playing at the lake or in the mountains than working. We both have a work to live mentality. Little is more unpleasant than being around people that are married to their careers.
I agree with this post, life is too short to be stuck at work more than need be. I'm not saying that you can't be a good worker and do ok, just don't be married to the job and I agree with the "work to live" approach to things.

People can do whatever floats their boats the problem is is that one one party has a certain expectation and things don't go to their expectation... Don't marry a workaholic and then complain when they don't have enough time for you..... works for either gender.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:44 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,344,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
The first won't have much time for you. It can often times be a pointless relationship, unless you're just looking for sex once or twice a week.

The second actually wants to see you. Most people that are obsessed with their jobs are just brainwashed into thinking it is going to bring them some enormous happiness and amazing fortune. What is fortune when you don't have time to spend it?

I would rather date a girl with the 9-5, and you can be ambitious with that schedule as well. Many engineers work 9-5.

If I were rich, I'd ask my partner if she only wanted to work part time so we could have the perfectly happy gender roles of the past centuries before feminism struck. Take me back to the 50s
I'm a feminist and a SAHM. It's not mutually exclusive anymore. Modern feminism is about choosing the best path for you. i am my husband's equal, not his "little woman". :-)

Old 02-12-2015, 06:48 PM

743 posts, read 827,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I'm a feminist and a SAHM. It's not mutually exclusive anymore. Modern feminism is about choosing the best path for you. i am my husband's equal, not his "little woman". :-)
Well enjoy it and do as you please. It's just not a lifestyle I agree with.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:14 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,713,558 times
You like the one you love.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:47 PM

718 posts, read 613,758 times
Personally, for me, I think I'm going to do the whole 'driven woman' skit for a little while. I'm conscious that my personal life might suffer some, but I'm okay with that. I think everyone should take a year or two to just focus on their career. It has a lot more to do than financial security. I think it improves productivity, confidence and self-regulation.

I've simply worked too hard, poured way too much money and had too many sleepless nights to have anything less than a long, fulfilling and ambitious career. That's my personal choice, though. Someone people are satisfied with a 9-5 job, that's perfectly respectable, but I want something more than that. I don't think a boyfriend will change that, either.

I think at some point, I will slow down and start looking at other ways to make myself happy. Like the greeks said, all things in moderation.

But I'm too young to settle in life quite yet. Especially for a boyfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships