Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 10:40 AM

270 posts, read 282,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I'll tell you one reason a lot of guys wink. It's not that they're lazy. It's that they don't want to go to the trouble of writing a message and having it go unanswered. Guys know how competitive online dating is. They know that women are generally bombarded with messages and probably ignore the majority of them. Guys also know that sending some generic form letter won't impress a woman. But a guy who's taken the time to craft a well-thought out letter only to have it go unanswered will start to feel like it's not worth the effort. That's why he'll resort to sending winks.
I can accept that. But I have to say, it cuts both ways. I have sent out what I consider to be thoughtful ice-breakers that went nowhere real fast, to about 95% of non-responders, and the rest at least took the time to use the canned response Match set up to decline politely. So, the issue is not unique to men, just as an aside.

I still don't get why you're on OLD if you can neither send nor receive messages.

BTW, I had six catfishers this week only. Of those where I was fairly sure about my suspicion, three profiles were shut down by Match.

Back to the winks. How do you guys perceive a woman winking at you online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 12:20 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,079 times
I think you're reading too much into it. If a guy winked at me and I liked the looks of him, I would wink back. But I'd figure that if he really wanted to connect, he would reach out by messaging. OLD is too impersonal and fast-paced to get analytical about it, just enjoy the ride.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:06 PM

270 posts, read 282,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I think you're reading too much into it. If a guy winked at me and I liked the looks of him, I would wink back. But I'd figure that if he really wanted to connect, he would reach out by messaging. OLD is too impersonal and fast-paced to get analytical about it, just enjoy the ride.
But that's just what I meant. Winks are sort of meaningless. Unfortunately, I heavily rely on OLD in order to meet people. So the ride, thus far, hasn't even started. But I'll stay boarded for the time being. It builds a thick skin, that's for sure.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:22 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,599,693 times
I agree, winks are ridiculous. Send me a thoughtful email. Something other than "Hey there".

Regarding the repeated profile views ... it may not be the user looking at you.

I was on one of Match's other sites (they own a bazillion of them).

I complained to the "customer service" department about the repeated profile views that I as being tagged with - meaning it looked like I kept viewing the same person's profile over and over again. It's the website. It wasn't me. Some of the users I would NEVER even consider looking at their profile, yet the website tagged me as looking at them.

I put customer service in quotes because they never helped me. The only way I found to get around the problem was the block the user.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:44 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,358 times
Free members trying to whatever usually, or lazy mofos who want you to make the first move. Just ignore.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:23 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuddy3 View Post
But that's just what I meant. Winks are sort of meaningless. Unfortunately, I heavily rely on OLD in order to meet people. So the ride, thus far, hasn't even started. But I'll stay boarded for the time being. It builds a thick skin, that's for sure.
That it does. It makes IRL dating seem like a walk in the park!

Old 02-16-2015, 07:45 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,455 times
I do it if its a woman I think is way out of my league, or I see her in my daily matches and make an instant judgement I want her to know I'm interested. Never amounts to squat though, so maybe I'll stop. I just know when I email a woman who I think is gorgeous, I also can't set myself apart and she won't respond. OLD is a nightmare, as is being OLD

Old 02-16-2015, 07:53 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuddy3 View Post
What's up with those winks on dating sites? Is this the lazy man's (I mean both men and women) way of conveying interest?
Yes. I always ignored winks.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:37 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,635,354 times
If a guy winks at you instead of sending you a message, you can dismiss him as lazy. But keep something else in mind. He's basically telling you that he doesn't think you're worth the effort. That, of course, is the far bigger reason to ignore him. He emails some other woman but only winks at you. That speaks volumes about how he sees you.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:21 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
If a guy winks at you instead of sending you a message, you can dismiss him as lazy. But keep something else in mind. He's basically telling you that he doesn't think you're worth the effort. That, of course, is the far bigger reason to ignore him. He emails some other woman but only winks at you. That speaks volumes about how he sees you.
Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships