U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:52 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,561,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
To each his/her own. It is my perogative to determine what I do and don't prefer, and yours to do likewise. If you don't agree, that is not my problem. I'm sure there are many who find piercings and tattoos quite attractive. I'm just not one of them.
Fair enough. I'm still curious about your comment about the "frivolous side" though. Care to elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Tattoos and/or body piercings can alert practitioners to the possibility of other risk-taking behaviors in adolescents, leading to preventive measures, including counseling. Tattoo and body piercing discovery should be an important part of a health maintenance visit to best direct adolescent medical care.
I'd say that I cannot believe that these people are serious, but I know that they are. Preventative counseling because someone has tatts or piercings? UNBELIEVABLE.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:12 PM

603 posts, read 777,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
How many subjects was that study based on?
I don't know.....good question. I haven't even gotten to the point of questioning the methodology of the scientific studies. I JUST noticed how many of them are out there, some show correlations, some don't, some measure personality traits, some behaviors.....it's a new topic for me to investigate. The study I cited was just one of many I ran across....

Old 03-22-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I'd say that I cannot believe that these people are serious, but I know that they are. Preventative counseling because someone has tatts or piercings? UNBELIEVABLE.
I believe the suggestion was that "Tattoos and/or body piercings can alert practitioners to the possibility of other risk-taking behaviors in adolescents, leading to preventive measures, including counseling".

I'm not sure I agree with this either.....got a tatt? Well step in my office because you obviously have issues. NO. That's not what I'm pondering at all. Just like the do-rag or saggy pants. Step in my office 'cuz you're a gangster for sure. NO. That's not it either. I hate the idea of such assumptions. I was just looking at the research to see if there were any correlations between personality and body modifications....and I ran across this. I'm still trying to process it all myself.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:36 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,094,199 times
I wouldn't dispute at all that there is a correlation between body modifications and personality - it definitely is a certain personality that is willing to do that. But to then make a jump to there being something wrong with that person is a pretty ridiculous jump.
I got my first tattoo at 38. Most people would never, ever guess that I am a moderately tattooed mom. I won't dispute that I'm not your typical parent at all nor your typical 40 year old woman, which I am very glad about and so is my husband.
Yes, it's a different personality type that get body mods and a different personality type that can appreciate them. Doesn't mean they are bad people, and most don't worry about the judgement of others. It's really the other person's lose if they discount me because they discover I have tattoos.
I can almost guarantee that those who label tattooed people as "skanky" have friends/acquaintances that they know and respect who have tattoos - they just don't know it.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I wouldn't dispute at all that there is a correlation between body modifications and personality - it definitely is a certain personality that is willing to do that. But to then make a jump to there being something wrong with that person is a pretty ridiculous jump.
I got my first tattoo at 38. Most people would never, ever guess that I am a moderately tattooed mom. I won't dispute that I'm not your typical parent at all nor your typical 40 year old woman, which I am very glad about and so is my husband.
Yes, it's a different personality type that get body mods and a different personality type that can appreciate them. Doesn't mean they are bad people, and most don't worry about the judgement of others. It's really the other person's lose if they discount me because they discover I have tattoos.
I can almost guarantee that those who label tattooed people as "skanky" have friends/acquaintances that they know and respect who have tattoos - they just don't know it.
I agree, and I would never label anyone for a tattoo. IBut you were 38 when you got yours, and I'm guessing there is a more significant correlation for the kids who do this at say, age 14. I don't know what it is, and I don't know what it means. In the same way, I would never label anyone for wearing saggy pants or do-rags either.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:01 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,094,199 times
Quote:
I agree, and I would never label anyone for a tattoo. IBut you were 38 when you got yours, and I'm guessing there is a more significant correlation for the kids who do this at say, age 14. I don't know what it is, and I don't know what it means. In the same way, I would never label anyone for wearing saggy pants or do-rags either.
I would say that kids getting tattoos at 14 are doing it because they think it's cool and without a doubt will regret that decision later in life. Most kids can't think past tomorrow let alone 10 years from now.

And I agree about the saggy pants and do rags. When I go hiking/backpacking I wear a do rag because I have really long hair and it keeps my hair out of my face.
My 14 year old son, who is an extremely conservative little guy (amazing considering as parents we are not) wears his shorts/jeans a big low (not baggy) because he is so small/short/skinny that it gives him a bit more "bulk" so to speak.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I believe the suggestion was that "Tattoos and/or body piercings can alert practitioners to the possibility of other risk-taking behaviors in adolescents, leading to preventive measures, including counseling".
And, I believe that is a very dangerous step to make.

The correlation between body mods and "dangerous practices"? Honestly, I have issues with someone in a position of authority looking at these and making some sort of conclusion without looking at the whole picture. This is where I see this "suggestion" going.

It's WAY too easy to label people as this or that because of one or two outward "signals". And, I don't put it past medical practitioners to take their own personal opinions on body mods and incorporate it in the way they treat their patients.

If this is taken as *one* of a number of warning signs, fine. But, honestly, I don't see that happening in all cases, and that's what's hitting me wrong. As is evident by the responses on this board, many people find these things to be "skanky", to put it mildly. What happens if one of those people is the doctor treating the person with the piercing? Counseling is a pretty big deal, and IMO, not to be suggested to someone who simply happens to like piercings or tattoos.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:58 PM

12,172 posts, read 11,035,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Fair enough. I'm still curious about your comment about the "frivolous side" though. Care to elaborate?
No I don't care to elaborate.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:41 PM

5,259 posts, read 5,143,624 times
I think that belly button piercings on women are fine if they are in shape and if they dont' overdo the whole piercing thing (i.e. all over their face, on their nipples, etc.). I just got my belly button pierced a few months ago (I'm in my mid-30s) after recently dropping 10 pounds that have been plaguing me forever. This was sorta like a 'reward' for my hard work. I love the way it looks, and guys I date don't seem to have a problem with it. I also think that women who take care of their bodies should not be embarrassed about doing something like this. Plus, a piercing is the perfect accessory for a belly shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships