Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 11:25 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times

Advertisements

Saw this book "A Million First Dates" by Dan Slater at the library and picked up a copy. Pretty interesting and easy read about the history of online dating and how it has changed the dating world.

Here are some random things from the book that popped out at me.

Women who like beer are more likely to sleep with you on the first or second date according to OKCupid.

People move in and out of relationships a lot faster, knowing that they have a potential pool of dates awaiting them as soon as the get to their smart phone or computer.

Curvy women do have more fun and are more adventurous in bed.

Guys who do not look at the camera, but stare off camera for their profile picture get more attention from women.

The "3 Date" or "5 Date" rule for sleeping with someone is going away. The profile, texting, chatting and talking on the phone seems to bypass the first couple of dates, so by your first actual in person date you already have a pretty decent idea if you want to sleep with them.

Then based on the statistics, approximately 30% of all single people in the country are signed up with at least one online dating service at any given time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 11:33 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Interesting. I don't fully agree with all of those, but I don't really disagree with any of them.

Funny on the beer comment. I love me craft beer snobs and I found very few are prudes/hung up on stuff. It's great.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Funny on the beer comment. I love me craft beer snobs and I found very few are prudes/hung up on stuff. It's great.
That tidbit made me think about the dates I've had the past few months. The two I've had at a craft brew pub where the women knew their beer ended up being enjoyable evenings. Along the same lines, if you actually take the time to read all of the questions that a woman answers on OKC, you can get a pretty good idea how your first or second date will end.

Think it was Match that discovered a difference in what people said in their profile that they were looking for and the profiles people actually read. So they were working on software to more accurately match you based on what you searched for and stopped on, rather than what you said you preferred. If you said you want a tall, thin blonde but always read profiles for curvy brunettes they want to show you more curvy brunettes.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:58 AM

Almost done reading the book. After reading some more chapters I'm glad I didn't sign up for Match. According to the book, Match makes it impossible for you to delete your profile. When you are searching, you really don't know if that person is active or has moved on. Plus they don't tell you if someone is a paid member. Hoping that if you send someone a message that is not a paid subscriber, that it will entice them to cough up the monthly fee. It is also not in Match's best interest to help you find someone right away, they need to keep you as a paying member for at least 3-4 months to break even.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:22 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
No, you can delete, or at least hide your profile and make it invisible. I did with mine years ago.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:11 AM

366 posts, read 410,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post

The "3 Date" or "5 Date" rule for sleeping with someone is going away. The profile, texting, chatting and talking on the phone seems to bypass the first couple of dates, so by your first actual in person date you already have a pretty decent idea if you want to sleep
I've noticed this. Not online dating, but texting a guy for a while, then he says "let's hang out" and I'm like "Ok, it's a date!" then they're like "Its not a date! Let's just see if there's a physical connection" and I'm like "I don't even know you and we haven't even hinted at anything sexual and that comment was extremely inappropriate" and they're like "..."

It's a new dating scene I guess. That happened to me TWICE.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:24 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,289,000 times
I always found that by the time you meet for a date, very few women would not sleep with you. As long as you were as advertised, she already knew that something might happen, or if she would be open to the fact. That's why I always would act the same online as irl, there were no benefits to doing otherwise. IMO, women who I met via OLD, would have sex within the first two dates, most would do it on the first date...of course they never did such things before...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships