Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:15 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,452 times

Advertisements

I met the girl I'm seeing now at a singles event. I'm better with IRL scenarios because it allows the relationship to grow more organically.

I tried OLD as well, which definitely makes accessibility easier, but I often times felt like it was forced and uncomfortable. The girl was usually really shy and it took awhile to warm up because we were literally going into the situation cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 11:01 AM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Nothing happens by itself. You keep posting this same mantra, in all your posts. If this is your attitude in real life, then you can be sure that you will never, ever, amount to anything, and never, ever, find a partner. ...
I respectfully disagree. My best outcomes as an investor have stemmed from strategically doing nothing… buying and holding, never trading, doggedly saving and mumbling the same mantra for 20+ years. My best outcomes in personal fitness have been going to the same gym at the same time daily, performing the same exercises, essentially since I was a teenager (I'm now in my 40s). At work, my best opportunities have visited me through strategic idleness and indifference… simply exist, sitting there, and opportunities materialize. In fact I'd argue that the pseudo-Zen saying, "Don't just do something, stand there" is an excellent blueprint for going through life more or less successfully… EXCEPT in dating/relationships!

Old 02-19-2015, 11:06 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
My most recent date I had a old friend from Louisville set me up with someone who lived here. Colossal mistake and now friend hates my a$&. Lesson learned; NEVER do blind dates or setups.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:08 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
My most recent date I had a old friend from Louisville set me up with someone who lived here. Colossal mistake and now friend hates my a$&. Lesson learned; NEVER do blind dates or setups.
Or never say to your friend "She ain't do it for me" when asked about the date. That line was very memorable. lol

Old 02-19-2015, 11:10 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullforce View Post
There were very few cases of two people just meeting and falling in love, despite what Hollywood likes to show us...
In all of history, especially recent American history, which is the most relevant to the OP, you are actually saying that there are "very few" cases of two people just meeting and falling in love?

Nope. Sorry. Wrong.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:11 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Or never say to your friend "She ain't do it for me" when asked about the date. That line was very memorable. lol
Dammit you are wrong. It was the fact I actually was truthful and blunt as usual about why I would not give her a 2nd date that p$&@ed the friend off.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:18 AM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
For the second time in this thread, I respectfully disagree. It's true that there's an analogy between friends acting as intermediaries for potential romantic engagements, and friends lending each other money; in the latter, one proverbially loses both the money and the friend. But unlike the case of money, which is an inanimate object, the introduced-date is presumably a sentient human being, who is responsible for her/his own behavior and opinions. Reasonable friends can understand that a set-up date transpiring poorly isn't the fault of either friend.

Speaking personally, my friends desist from setting me up with dates, because (1) they don't know any suitable candidates (everyone is already married), and (2) they are skeptical of my own suitability.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:28 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Dammit you are wrong. It was the fact I actually was truthful and blunt as usual about why I would not give her a 2nd date that p$&@ed the friend off.
So it wasn't the setup that was the problem, tactlessly insulting your friend (and her friend) was the problem. If you're trying to get along with people, bluntness is rarely a virtue.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:39 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
Quote:
As true as that may be there is one slight problem with that thought process. There was one tool they used to use that is no longer in use in mass... the arranged marraige.
You think most people before the internet age had arranged marriages? Wow.

I'm not dating or trying to date anyone, but I agree with the people here who say to just broaden your circle of acquaintances and friends by going to events, taking part in hobbies etc.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:42 AM

12 posts, read 7,487 times
Maybe not withing the last century or two, but the original post I was replying to was talking about the past several centuries, and that's what I was talking about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships