Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:34 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times

Advertisements

Why would you have to choose? Kids are capable of understanding that people believe different things, and that presents teachable moments for respecting other people's beliefs. Like the Lent example, you don't have to practice Lent is order to respect your wife's practices; you can show respect by forgoing the whoppers and explain that Mom gave them up for a few weeks and you want to show support by not eating them in front of her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
The real question is who is really practicing the religion they claim.

A janitor tells you he's a doctor. What? He could be a real doctor but he's not practicing.

So with that said I have met atheists with better morals than some Christians.

Unless you talk about it sincerely before hand then it can be an issue. Like when kids come into the picture. You have to decide which god you will raise your kids to worship or not worship.

Can my kids eat a whopper on Friday in front of their Mom during lent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 10:19 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
It's extremely important to me. I could not have a real relationship with someone who believed in silly myths.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:27 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Religious differences are the only thing that saved me from a relationship that I finally realized was toxic.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:42 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
I wouldn't date someone really religious because I am agnostic.

A few months back my friend was dating a woman she wanted to set me up with her friend, ex model divorced with $$ and a hardcore devout born again

Old 02-20-2015, 09:58 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
I'm an atheist. I have no problem dating a laid back, non-practicing type of religious gal.

If she were heavy into church life/activities, something tells me we would't have much in common in many ways.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:07 PM

511 posts, read 508,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
It doesn't matter to me at all. My husband and I have very different belief systems: I am agnostic with dash of Quaker, while he is so Christian that he evangelizes while brushing his teeth. We get on just fine, because we are mature enough to respect each others beliefs and aren't trying to convert one another. I have no qualms with him bringing the kids to church, so long it's not ultra-conservative. IMO, religion is only an issue if you allow it to be one... which tends to happen when one or both parties has decided that their way is the only right way.
If he isn't trying to convert you (as so many non believers use this term) then he probably isn't Christian

Because by default, the Christian beliefs entail that only Christ Followers will be in heaven. And Christ converted them via the Holy Spirit

The others who are not in heaven, they rot in hellfire forever. And ever...

Sorry but if my beliefs entail that, you can bet I love my husband enough not to "respect his beliefs" he leave me at death to rot in hell forever. As a half way feeling person, that doesn't jive. Maybe it would if i was a sociopath or something.

So if he is leaving you alone, essentially to your own demise (per his beliefs) well something is wrong.

He can't "respect your beliefs" to rot in hell.

I'd veer more towards the conclusion that he isn't saved

Old 02-20-2015, 10:16 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Not important whatsoever.

I only dated secularists/Humantists, Buddhists, Taoists, Pagans, deists, pantheists, and those of a similar ilk.

The vast majority of men I met and dated, after re-entering the dating scene, were Humanists, a variation of agnostic, deists, and pantheists. I'm a relative metaphysical atheist, so "heathen" is what I pretty much exclusively sought out.

My husband is a godless heathen -- Humanist/atheist.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Specifics of religion have never mattered to me, as long as values were compatible. Sometimes this involves religion, sometimes not.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:19 PM

511 posts, read 508,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Not important whatsoever.

I only dated secularists/Humantists, Buddhists, Taoists, Pagans, deists, pantheists, and those of a similar ilk.

The vast majority of men I met and dated, after re-entering the dating scene, were Humanists, a variation of agnostic, deists, and pantheists. I'm a relative metaphysical atheist, so "heathen" is what I pretty much exclusively sought out.

My husband is a godless heathen -- Humanist/atheist.
Aunt Esther is that you?

Old 02-20-2015, 10:21 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It's extremely important to me. I could not have a real relationship with someone who believed in silly myths.
Nothing wrong with a little make-believe, right? I have a fondness for Odin. It was he who slayed the Frost Giants, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships