Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 04:39 PM

176 posts, read 978,312 times

Advertisements

If you are depressed or stressed out because of unfortunate situations (job, family, finances etc) how does this effect your relationship with a girl who you are not living with? Some say men withdraw and become distant when they are stressed/depressed but these are also the same signs when they are losing interest in a girl.

- Is going days (or maybe weeks) without contact with someone you really like or in a relationship with normal during a stressful time?
- Do men actually want lots of sex/ intimacy or company during stressful times?
- Do men actually want to be completely alone with no contact with the outside world? Even from friends or family?

***If the man actually wants to be with the girl and/or continue the relationship how could she help or what should she do to show that she is understanding and supportive even if the guy is a little distant?

How can you tell if the guy you are dating is stressed or just losing interest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 04:51 PM

133 posts, read 211,852 times
Well the guy i was seeing for 6 months got very stressed with work..almost walked off the job several times this caused him to gave severe anxiety..he also was having health problems..was in a jet ski accident year before ..complained of chest pains so bad he went to several doctor appointments and they couldn't tell him what was wrong so the doctor out him on lexapro for anxiety at any rate he was constantly frustrated snd unhappy it came across as disinterested to me after he was "so interested" and came on so strong the first few months..at any rate, I was having exact same questions as you..I didn't know what was causing the disinterest all of the sudden..the stress? Either way our last convo was friendly he acted like everything was fine but it's been 2 weeks since we've spoken..I'm very sad, but also havent tried to contact so as not to bother him..I think he's gone for good..I still don't know if it was the stress or he stopped liking me it's killing me bc I have no closure so I know exactly what you may be feeling like

Old 02-21-2015, 05:14 PM

Well just like you the guy who I started dating back in December went distant for 2 weeks also about 3 weeks ago. This was a week after he brought up the relationship talk. He's also going thru serious family and financial issues. After two weeks of no contact (I've sent 2 texts during that time period that he ignored) I decided to call him a few days ago for closure cause I too thought it was over. He answered and we talked. He confessed that he was also upset about somethings that I said before and admitted that he got scared and backed off because of it. We both expressed our feelings and he apologized for his behavior. After that talk he asked me to be patient and understanding and not worry, however he's still a little distant.

I've never been in situations like this so I really don't know what to do.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:51 PM

133 posts, read 211,852 times
Exact same thing he said to me! He said he didn't like some things I said and it pushed him away..I understsnd giving them time but also if ask about his past relationships bc mine told me he's never been broken up with before. He's 31. Your guy may be committment phobic..I hear after the "honeymoon phase" they can't keep it up bc it was never genuine to begin with. Also, he may be insecure. I know mine was..at any rate, it's just not fair to have to wait and wait..life is short..do you really want to have to deal with him retreating everytime he gets depressed? It's like be a man and face the conflict head on..we want strong men not ones that run away anytime anything uncomfortable happens

Old 02-21-2015, 06:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
I would not be with someone that didn't contact me for days/weeks at a time.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:22 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Dreamer View Post
If you are depressed or stressed out because of unfortunate situations (job, family, finances etc) how does this effect your relationship with a girl who you are not living with? Some say men withdraw and become distant when they are stressed/depressed but these are also the same signs when they are losing interest in a girl.

- Is going days (or maybe weeks) without contact with someone you really like or in a relationship with normal during a stressful time?
- Do men actually want lots of sex/ intimacy or company during stressful times?
- Do men actually want to be completely alone with no contact with the outside world? Even from friends or family?

***If the man actually wants to be with the girl and/or continue the relationship how could she help or what should she do to show that she is understanding and supportive even if the guy is a little distant?

How can you tell if the guy you are dating is stressed or just losing interest?
Good topic!

1) For me, absolutely so, but I'm very aware of this and make sure to let people know. If you're not getting that kind of feedback, I'd take it as a bad sign

2) It's been my experience that generally, the answer would be no. Anybody with a heart would certainly appreciate the gesture...it shows that you care and are concerned. But plenty of men, myself included, tend to withdraw and sort of "turtle up" in those times

3) Like the others, this one varies, but I'd say this question varies more guy-to-guy than the other two. Personally, the answer for me is yes, but I can't speak for a majority of men.

What can you do? Just offer to help or be there for him. He should at least appreciate that (and if not, that's a bad omen). If he wants the help, he'll accept it, but any good person would appreciate the offer.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:25 PM

535 posts, read 515,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdroplet76 View Post
i would not be with someone that didn't contact me for days/weeks at a time.
+1

Old 02-21-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Good topic!

1) For me, absolutely so, but I'm very aware of this and make sure to let people know. If you're not getting that kind of feedback, I'd take it as a bad sign

2) It's been my experience that generally, the answer would be no. Anybody with a heart would certainly appreciate the gesture...it shows that you care and are concerned. But plenty of men, myself included, tend to withdraw and sort of "turtle up" in those times

3) Like the others, this one varies, but I'd say this question varies more guy-to-guy than the other two. Personally, the answer for me is yes, but I can't speak for a majority of men.

What can you do? Just offer to help or be there for him. He should at least appreciate that (and if not, that's a bad omen). If he wants the help, he'll accept it, but any good person would appreciate the offer.

Thank you for your honest input.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:48 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,288,100 times
People who are that effected by temporary changes to their lives are not mentally fit enough to be in a relationship. It's kind of messed up to bail out, but for your own good, it's the best choice. Until someone has a handle on their mental health, they will be a continual source of pain/sadness/distress/anger, by the actions they take while battling anxiety/depression.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:53 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times
I think that people are different and you can't really apply a "template" of behavior across the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships