Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 01:13 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Connecting with people isn't something I do easily.
I always have a hard time understanding that coming from an attractive person. When I was at the therapy experiment at Stanford, this very attractive woman in her 20s who worked at a tech company (made a lot of money) said she had difficulty as well. Apparently she had a long relationship with a woman but prefers men. I guess biphobia was giving her a lot of problems.

But it's like, look at me, look at you. People can see why I haven't ever had a girlfriend. But you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 01:34 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I always have a hard time understanding that coming from an attractive person. When I was at the therapy experiment at Stanford, this very attractive woman in her 20s who worked at a tech company (made a lot of money) said she had difficulty as well. Apparently she had a long relationship with a woman but prefers men. I guess biphobia was giving her a lot of problems.

But it's like, look at me, look at you. People can see why I haven't ever had a girlfriend. But you?

Some people endure struggles that can't be readily seen or understood by others. Without that understanding you end up stuck.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
How on earth would you know that?
Because the Australian Bureau of Statistics publishes their information online, as it turns out, and it comes up pretty handily in a cursory search. 2013's data are currently available. I suppose it's possible that there has been a sudden, markedly dramatic decline in the past year, though. Time will tell, I suppose, if 2013's stats are now turned on their head.

Quote:
I haven't been to or even heard of a wedding since before the GFC. Obviously folk STILL do get married, but not the ones I know.
Oh, well, then. As long as you have personal anecdotes, never mind empirical data.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:37 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Because the Australian Bureau of Statistics publishes their information online, as it turns out, and it comes up pretty handily in a cursory search. 2013's data are currently available. I suppose it's possible that there has been a sudden, markedly dramatic decline in the past year, though. Time will tell, I suppose, if 2013's stats are now turned on their head.

Oh, well, then. As long as you have personal anecdotes, never mind empirical data.

No sillier than YOU relying on statistics that are by nature, out of date.

To divorce in Australia, you have to wait at least one year.

That means the figures you are quoting, 2013, actually reflect separations of 2012 and earlier.

Starting to look a tad less clever now eh....

Old 02-23-2015, 01:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
So your argument IS that there has been a precipitous decline since the 2013 stats were gathered? Interesting.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:40 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
No sillier than YOU relying on statistics that are by nature, out of date.

To divorce in Australia, you have to wait at least one year.

That means the figures you are quoting, 2013, actually reflect separations of 2012 and earlier.

Starting to look a tad less clever now eh....

No, not really, if you know anything about sociology and statistics. These things are really quite stable and they change rather slowly over time. While there will likely be different numbers for next year, it is almost never that there is any significant change in those numbers. If the data shows a significant adjustment, that is going to usually be do to poor data collection or a calculation error (if it is real, it is due to a very significant social policy change).

Old 02-23-2015, 01:42 PM

The statistics are gathered from the Census which is only held once every 7 years.

The statistics are out of date.

Note I said, ""no weddings since the GFC".

Old 02-23-2015, 01:52 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
While I can't in good conscience support outright coercion, where people are coerced into taking actions beneficial to The State, it is nevertheless unfortunate when our individual happiness collectively detracts from the common weal. For example, I'm not a huge fan of compulsory military service by conscription. But if for some reason an all-volunteer army became untenable because mass social movements marginalized military service, and good economic opportunities suddenly became available to persons who'd normally enlist for reasons of economic self-improvement, then we'd have a problem. New incentives would be necessary to entice more recruits.

However opposed I may be to reproduction, it seems to me that an overwhelmingly married society is a more stable and more governable society. I worry about the hypothetical case osf a mass aversion to marriage. Fortunately, I don't think that recent sensationalism about Millennial's aversion to marriage, or at least their skepticism of marriage, really constitutes a burgeoning trend. It's a catchy news-story, but quite possibly as Millenials age and secure better jobs, they will increase their affinity towards marriage.

As I've written before, geographical variability throughout America is shockingly intense. In my part of the country, the marriage-rate amongst college graduates remains robustly high, and if anything I bemoan that too many people marry and remain married, because that saps the dating-pool for those of us who are looking to enter a relationship. In other parts of the country, especially in the cores of our principal cities, it may very well be the case that the "young professional" set is flagging in its enthusiasm for marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I'm not a huge fan of marriage so I personally don't care if other people do or don't get married. It's an odd thing to get your knickers in a knot over. Or start a thread about for that matter.
The OP's point is probably that if marriage rates where high, the expectation would be for young people to get married. This means that women would be more receptive to advances from marriage-minded men. This makes dating from the male viewpoint easier twice-over: first, because the enticing cads are now outstripped by the stodgy company-men in gray flannel suits (who would otherwise have been shunted aside); and second, because if women are eager to find husbands, they can't afford to absent themselves from the dating-market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
You can attribute this to the trend of millennials choosing atheism/agnosticism and more acceptance of the Childfree lifestyle for this. As a member of both communities, I see no need for marriage for myself and I have no desire for marriage.
As a member of both communities, and as a divorced man, I'm about 60/40 in favor of trying to remarry.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:02 PM

Anthropologists say, marriage doesn't work. We are designed for serial monogamy, ie more than one LTR over our lives

Our society no longer has the same moral/financial/religious influences either.

Don't forget the Millenials of today, who by nature are change-driven. Everything is new, now, the latest, an egocentric type of emotional wanderlust fed by social media.

They are EXTREMELY unlikely to pair for life.

Marriage will continue, but it will become less and less common.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:40 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
I think what will happen is more will marry later. I know many waiting until their late 30's or even 40's. I do think having kids without marriage is a horrific trend and will have horrible repercussion in society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships