Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:48 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Some people post this on their profile to be sure anyone contacting them is well aware that they are marriage minded in their life.

I would think you are the target audience, being someone not interested in marriage.
I did because I wasn't interested I'm just friends ( though friends first works), or a friends with benefits or a relationship without marriage. I let it be known that I wasn't going to marry anyone but it was my only dating goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 03:27 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
It's just a ballpark figure. My point was that 3 years seems a little short to me to decide if you really want to enter into a serious legal commitment with that person. Especially if we're assuming you didn't know the person at all prior to that three year period.

Like I said I would want to know the person on a platonic basis for several months or a few years before even sleeping with them and/or entering into a relationship, thus 3 years is short if you didn't know them. I already know that most on here are going to disagree.

It's all hypothetical in my case anyway, because no one has ever reciprocated my feelings and ultimately, I don't want to get married at all at this point.
Yeah not working out too well for you is it, gee, I wonder why

Old 02-24-2015, 04:03 PM

914 posts, read 765,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
"It's the economy, stupid!"
This^

Old 02-24-2015, 06:03 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysky444 View Post
I kinda disagree with you..My parents met and married after 6 months of dating..They've been together 37 years and my brother met a girl in a chat room in the Dominican..They talked many months then she came here and months later they were married..They are perfect for each other and are now having a baby..My hairdresser dating her husband for 7 years before marriage and now they are divorced...so I really think it's possible if it's the "right person"
Possible, probably not probable.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-24-2015, 06:54 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Yet they have illegitimate kids from different people. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:21 PM

417 posts, read 593,966 times
I think that article is rubbish. When I was in my 20s and poor with an unstable job and no hopes of finding anyone. If anyone asked me if wanted to get married I would tell them no but secretly I really wanted but I never thought it would happen. Why would I want another setback. My parents did not make it easy. They were very critical of who they thought I would marry. I think parents have alot to do with this also. In the old days, you go to school, get a job and get married but I think parents now hang on too tight. It is so difficult to find someone.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:47 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,016 times
Last time I checked marriage is a choice not damn obligation so why do these statistics matter.

I think the issue is people have mind your own business problem and want to shove their views as end all be all in vain sense of narcissism and a supreme lack self awareness.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:51 PM

513 posts, read 429,049 times
I wanna get married, but........I want to get into a steady career first.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:44 PM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
My brother is a millennial (born in 1987), has a job, has his own place, and is a father. His daughter's mother lives with him but they don't have any intention of getting married as far as I know. I have asked him about it and he just doesn't see any reason for it...maybe younger people just want to do stuff differently then their parents did. I will say that we come from an extremely chaotic family where we were exposed to divorce, marital infidelity (numerous instances), divorce again, getting in the way of parent's hook-up prospects (and being scolded for it), etc. I have a step-sister 25 years younger than me who is basically being raised in a broken (albeit affluent) home because of marital infidelity. Maybe we just see marriage as somewhat meaningless in many respects - or it is at least very hard to take it seriously.

Last edited by KC_Sleuth; 02-25-2015 at 07:55 PM..

Old 02-26-2015, 11:42 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Maybe we just see marriage as somewhat meaningless in many respects - or it is at least very hard to take it seriously.
Some of that is just people not having enough life experience to value cultural institutions.

Still, I think the main advantage to marriage is if you plan on having kids and even then, quite frankly, it is debatable.

I don't think LTRs will ever go away, but marriage is just a legal contract; all it really does is just make things a lot harder if you ever break up with your partner. You can be with someone your whole life and be happy without getting legally married to them. My friend from my last job, he never got legally married to his GF but they have children, have been together for over 20 years and they often refer to each other as husband and wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships