Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 12:28 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times

Advertisements

Make yourself available.

Sit drinking a beverage at a coffee shop that has wifi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 12:29 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Those just aren't the right people then for you.

Not all people are like that. Trivia nights are great for meeting women, or they were in my 30s. People come with their friends, but there is lots of cross talk too. I like beer fests myself. Sure, mostly men, but the women are cool as heck.
I wish we had more trivia nights...that would be awesome. Ditto the sentiment on beer fests; total sausage fests, but the women that DO go are awesome.

I did a ton of coed sports in my 20's, because I had the time and energy. I still do them, but I have less of both these days, so they're not as common.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:29 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Every way you can think of can be acceptable. Even cheating can be acceptable, since it's not actually "cheating" since the person is still single until married.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:30 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
Beer fest actually isn't a bad idea. I'm a pretty big beer fan, and women who like beer seem cool. Not to mention we'd both be a little bit tipsy so more likely to want to talk to each other.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:31 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
When I was younger, I met guys at school, work (dating coworkers isn't frowned upon in my profession - it kind of goes with the territory), social functions, parties - basically all over the place. I used to get asked out all the time at my day job that I had in between jobs, at the gym, at the book store, etc. I always had a boyfriend so I was never interested - but not all the guys that approached me were creeps or undesirable.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:33 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Beer fest actually isn't a bad idea. I'm a pretty big beer fan, and women who like beer seem cool. Not to mention we'd both be a little bit tipsy so more likely to want to talk to each other.
Another one is beer brewing classes, then, if you're interested. We have a few of those go and brew your own beer places and they often have small group events. Breweries often have event nights as well that can be pretty cool.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:45 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Dating women online sucks if you're young, and is generally frowned upon. Cold approaches in public obviously are a no no. As they should be unless there's some kind of window of opportunity, but that's less common in this era when everyone is constantly on their phone. And don't get me started about "joining groups", nobody does that in the real world.

That leaves dating friends of friends. Thing is some people don't even have a single friend, so the pool they could draw from is extremely limited. Even people who do have a lot of friends, it's pretty rare in my experience they know an attractive woman who's both single and interested. That's probably your best bet though wouldn't you agree?
Ask Smuggler his secret. Despite having average looks, he's slept with 100 women, less than half of whom he approached, and he has had several short- and long-term relationships.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:47 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Quote:
And don't get me started about "joining groups", nobody does that in the real world.
Meetup.com makes a profit, so somebody does it. I've been to meetings from there. It's been hard for me lately because the groups I'd be interested in don't meet on my day off and don't meet at a place I can get to on transit.

But you know I've never been in a relationship myself.

Quote:
That leaves dating friends of friends. Thing is some people don't even have a single friend, so the pool they could draw from is extremely limited. Even people who do have a lot of friends, it's pretty rare in my experience they know an attractive woman who's both single and interested. That's probably your best bet though wouldn't you agree?
Yeah it's probably a good bet.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:49 PM

372 posts, read 740,615 times
Exactly how old are you and what do you look like? Online dating can sometimes be difficult, but I've had a some success with Tinder, and even less success with okcupid. You might need to work on your look or your photos or something. Young guys who look good, have NO trouble with getting dates online, from what I've seen.

As for cold approaching being a no no, I don't think that's true. It just takes the confidence and the skill to pull it off. There are plenty of examples on youtube. I plan on trying it when I lose a little more weight and have a bit more confidence. I don't want to rely on OLD forever and I don't do clubs and I really don't want to have to date girls in my social circle, as that's too limiting and I don't want a reputation.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:52 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
When I was younger, I met guys at school, work (dating coworkers isn't frowned upon in my profession - it kind of goes with the territory), social functions, parties - basically all over the place. I used to get asked out all the time at my day job that I had in between jobs, at the gym, at the book store, etc. I always had a boyfriend so I was never interested - but not all the guys that approached me were creeps or undesirable.
Isn't that a cold approach, though, unless you knew them as friends prior to them doing that?

Don't get me wrong, knowing someone in a platonic context and then having it transition to a relationship is what I want. I don't feel comfortable with other methods...but it hasn't worked for me so far. But I think if you just meet them at the gym and automatically ask them out without establishing a platonic acquaintance, is not what I would want; that's too casual for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships