Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 11:20 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,375 times

Advertisements

The examples you posted sound pretty extreme to me and I wouldn't waste my time answering those posts because I think if they are true, I am not equipped to give them advice. I was on a recovering alcoholics message board and some of the postings were so bizarre and downright nasty that the moderator ended up banning one person, who it turned out, had several different ID's and was posting damaging things and defeating the purpose of the boards being helpful to others who are serious and possibly chasing off people who needed help.
Good luck....(and I know I am not cut out to be a board moderator either, so I don't envy you; however thanks for all you do.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 11:20 AM

245 posts, read 219,383 times
Most of the "should I end this relationship" threads I have read here are so clearly cut and dry "YES!" answers that I think the only reason someone posts them is that they are in an abusive relationship and cannot break it off. Battered wives / stockholm syndrome type people who will find 1 NO reply in 1000 YES replies and use that as an excuse to stay in their crappy relationship

I tend to just ignore them at this point

Old 02-24-2015, 11:22 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I do think when your living in a situation like that, and you have feelings for someone but are also being hurt by someone, you easily become confused. The poster is more than likely emotionally abused (if not just bruised). In their shoes, it is more than likely a very challenging mindset to try and make a clear and rational decision in. They have managed to come to a potential conclusion of ending things, but then, let the confusion and murky waters question their own conclusion. So they come for support and reinforcement of their decision to be sure their thinking is analytical and valid, based on the replies of others.
This is a good observation. People in abusive relationships tend to suffer from Stockholm Syndrome, psychologists have observed. Also, the younger they are, the more inexperienced, and the more in need of outside advice.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:31 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
It is human nature to hope where none exists.

Folks get a bee in their underpants and all common sense flies out the window. Black becomes white (maybe) up becomes down (I gotta check).

Hormones are incredible, they can make us behave in BIZARRE ways.

Personally I would NEVER ask anyone's advice on leaving a relationship, its far too personal and other peoples opinions are just that.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:43 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,733 times
Yeah - I have noticed when I am the one that is looking on the outside of a relationship I would say heck no - get out of there!!! I was in an bad relationship in the past before I went to therapy and have to say I dealt with it for so long thinking I was in love and that was what mattered. If I would have heard someone else dealing with what I was dealing with, I would have told them to get out, but I wouldn't have done it myself (until the day that I was strong enough to say no thanks).

Old 02-24-2015, 11:47 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
I think the legitimate ones are more people reaching outside of their own world to see if what they are experiencing is "normal"

What is more alarming to me is when people reach out to confirm their thinking that get defensive over thier situation.

But I guess that is all part of the process of acceptance

Old 02-24-2015, 01:44 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I do think of this possibility with some of the posters, because most people who post to ask for advice on very bad relationships are new members.

But, if they participate in the discussion, you can kind of tease out whether or not this is an actual problem for them (or someone else, if they are worried about another couple) and the charade cannot be kept up for long.

In truth, I try to just answer questions because we get a good many hits on Google from this site, and there could be a real person who wants to know if they should marry the guy who thinks he's a harp seal, no?

I agree.

I post to try to give them advice but some threads just seem so blatantly obvious that if they don't notice I think they are beyond salvation from us, and have to help themselves at that point.

When I think about it, most people are going to do what they want to do, and we can't give accurate advice if we don't know the full story. Only that person and the person they are with truly know what's going on in the relationship, which supports why I believe they will ultimately do what they have resolved to before even asking anyone.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:50 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
I put it down to the fact the forum is rife with trolls. The genuine people seeking answers are usually stupid, in denial or so caught up in their crapfest of a life that they can't see their way out. There are far more idiots in this world than most of can ever imagine.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:54 PM

914 posts, read 765,811 times
I hear you Redzin when posts have answers which are that obvious, it's hard to take them seriously.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:02 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
I see it as 2 things:

1. I get a good chuckle from more than half of these kinds of threads.

2. If these people sit around and can only think of these scenarios, they must not have great imaginations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships