Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 10:21 PM

535 posts, read 515,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Most Americans own guns so that wipes out around 60% of her dating prospects....?
I think they meant the combination of being unstable and owning guns is something to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 10:26 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuddy3 View Post
This is pretty much a no-brainer, but I'm in a bit of a mood tonight, and need to hear comments of others.

Last guy I dated (I thought long enough), I gave him a loan over several thousand bucks, with a payback plan laid out. The payback plan fell through, he ended things with me, and no word on repaying the money. He is a bit unstable, and owns guns, so I will not push the issue at this point. Besides, he owes money to all sorts of people, and is chronically broke.

No comments on my own stupidity necessary, I am doing a great job beating myself up over this. He seemed like a decent guy when I loaned him the money, but his true colors showed months later.
Wow. When I saw the heading, "Money and Friendship", I thought it was going to be about loaning $100 or two. I would never loan anyone the kind of money you loaned to this guy. At what point did you find out he owes money to a lot of people, btw? Before or after your loan?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:28 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Most Americans own guns so that wipes out around 60% of her dating prospects....?
Not really. I've never known anyone who owns a gun, except for an uncle who liked to hunt. Oh, and where I live now there are a lot of Native American communities, so I guess I've met a few people there who hunt. That's it. No friends or relatives I've had anywhere, except for the one cited exception, have owned guns.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:22 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,432 times
I'm curious, how long did you date? A few grand is a lot of money to lend someone you haven't known long, but if you thought there would be a future with him, that's a little different.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:06 AM

356 posts, read 365,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuddy3 View Post
This is pretty much a no-brainer, but I'm in a bit of a mood tonight, and need to hear comments of others.

Last guy I dated (I thought long enough), I gave him a loan over several thousand bucks, with a payback plan laid out. The payback plan fell through, he ended things with me, and no word on repaying the money. He is a bit unstable, and owns guns, so I will not push the issue at this point. Besides, he owes money to all sorts of people, and is chronically broke.

No comments on my own stupidity necessary, I am doing a great job beating myself up over this. He seemed like a decent guy when I loaned him the money, but his true colors showed months later.
Don't loan stuff to any one...period!

Old 03-01-2015, 01:55 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,517 times
can I borrow some too please ? some Million bucks would enough . Oh boy sorry for what happened, learn the lesson and move on. Don't mix friends and bucks even you have more than enough that will be a bucket at the end.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:14 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not really. I've never known anyone who owns a gun, except for an uncle who liked to hunt. Oh, and where I live now there are a lot of Native American communities, so I guess I've met a few people there who hunt. That's it. No friends or relatives I've had anywhere, except for the one cited exception, have owned guns.
I think it depends on what part of the country you live in and what circle you run in. Amongst my friends, people who don't own guns are the exception. But don't worry: We're all pretty stable!

Old 03-01-2015, 05:28 AM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't identify as a liberal... but I have liberal leanings and everyone I know and myself included don't own, or have any desire to own firearms.

I personally view guns as tools... I don't attach any kind of energy to them.... I know a lot of men who do.... guns seem like an extension of sorts.. if you follow me.....

Guns, like hammers and screw drivers... they are tools.... they have purpose and a use.... when not in use they need to be in their place..

If that makes any sense.....

Old 03-01-2015, 06:31 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Consider this an expensive lesson in finances, OP. Hopefully, you've learned something.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:42 AM

270 posts, read 283,067 times
To clarify some of the things brought up here, and thanks for your honest feedback....

We dated long enough, and he made noises of a future, not as in married, but as a couple nonetheless. I also learned about the full extent of his money woes after he asked me for the money. The issues at that time when I lent him the money seemed plausible and understandable. He has to pay child support, but he also smokes and drinks, so there. But most importantly, the man he portrayed himself to be before the loan was definitely not the same as the guy he truly was. All this became evident several weeks after the loan. He began yelling at me, demeaning and belittling me, showed signs of road rage, or was just unnecessarily rude to strangers at times. He could turn on the charm when he would benefit from it. And the guns, they were big on his mind. He always wanted me to learn how to shoot, and he wanted me to have one as well.

For me, while I could definitely use the funds now, it's more about how I allowed myself to believe him. Even worse, I had no way of knowing better, other than the fact that a grown middle-aged man with two children is asking his date for money to support his children (who he turned against me later on) should have been the major red flag for me, but I was the good-natured idiot who wanted to help out a seemingly nice person. I would never have the balls to pull off what he did, and honestly, I think most people are the same way, honest and responsible, at least the ones I have been knowing so far. I had no way of knowing how irresponsible he truly is, and I never met anyone like him before, and hopefully never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships