Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:33 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times

Advertisements

Speaking of dealbreakers, if this was done repeatedly after logical discussion. bye.

Don't care to be in a relationship with someone that disrespects my safety and has little common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 01:00 PM

718 posts, read 615,795 times
I had the same issue with my house door. It's actually very frustrating. In particular, I remember it being such a hassle at night, middle of January, where my finger would be just about ready to fall off. I would literally have to take turns with which hand I used because it was so unbelievably cold. There were times when I would lose my key, or couldn't find them in the dark. I used to live in a really nice neighbourhood so I would always get annoyed with my parents for looking the door.

I understand that the door needs to be locked, safe neighbourhood or not, but you can at least get the door fixed. It really sucks struggling with the door in the middle of the night while you're freezing your a** off. It's not about lacking common sense, it's just an inconvenience that can get under your skin after a while.

My parents realized how much I hated the door, so instead of getting new locks, they invested in a codelock. It was the best thing that ever happened. They own their house, it's not rented, so they could modify it as they wished. I'm assuming you live in a rented place, and if so, then you can easily call maintenance and get that fixed.

It must feel unfair that she is waking you up in the middle of the night, but maybe you should do your part to make things easier for the both of you.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:08 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood12 View Post
I have a bit of an odd issue that I don't think should be one. My gf and I have been together for 10 months and been living together for 2 months. We got an apt together and I work days (I get home around 9 PM, her around 5 AM) and I have always been a stickler for always keeping door locked, she however sees it as an inconvenience and gets upset that when she gets back she can't just walk in; she has to use her key. Granted not sure if it's the key or the door handle but it is kinda hard to use. You have to fidgit a bit but when she leaves she never locks the door so when I get home I lock it.

Several times now I have woken up to her banging on the door and she'll complain that I locked it. Course I am woken up. She thinks I should just leave it unlocked but I told her it only takes about 30 seconds to use her key but she doesn't think she should. I personally think it's just a safety issue, we don't live in a bad part of town but I think when someone leaves they should always lock the door behind them. When I bring it up she just says something like "you're being paranoid, we live in a safe area". But to me it's the principal, I know if I am not there and she leaves she'll just leave the door unlocked letting anyone just stroll right in.

Thoughts?
Some of the worst things happen in safe areas. As a matter of fact, that should be a sign that you should lock your door and take safety precautions, especially if you have some issue with the principal.

I swear, school staff members take it too far sometimes. .

Old 03-01-2015, 02:24 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Odd thread.

I/we keep the door locked regarless of time or who's home. Most of the time we'll have the front door cracked open to get some air and the screen door will be locked.

Not much of an issue in our house.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:31 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
Tell her she is lazy! Lock the doors!

Old 03-01-2015, 02:34 PM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Keep locking the door. I live in a safe area too, but even if I'm home and in the back yard, the front door is locked. I'm not going to get cleaned out like a fool while I'm picking up dog ****.

The front screen door is locked no matter what time of day it is. I dunno, I feel the same as you do.

I would however bring her key in for a grinding, there may be a burr on it. Or just have a new key cut. Cheap enough.
Lol, no kidding. We were just talking about this yesterday.

We also have a rule that if we shut the door, we lock it.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:42 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
Get some friends to "sneak" in when the door is open and make off with her stuff, the TV, etc.

She seems very inconsiderate.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:47 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Get some friends to "sneak" in when the door is open and make off with her stuff, the TV, etc.

She seems very inconsiderate.
This raises a good point. Anyone in the apartment building could slip into the apt. and take valuables. The computer, the TV, someone's wallet sitting on a desk (ID theft!)

She's very foolish. But the OP should also see to addressing the lock issue. It might be an easy fix. Then she'd have no excuse.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:48 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
This was a true, but isolated event...........

When I was going to college a classmate told me they never locked the front door.......

One night they are hanging out weeknight between 6-8 PM and a mentally ill homeless man opens their front door asks where some random bum is , they jump up and ask him what he wants and then he set a paper bag on fire and runs away.

I found out because I was considering to be his roommate and I noticed the door was still unlocked so just said I will get back to you and found a safe place to live, with roommates that have basic common sense.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I grew up in an area where people don't, as a rule, lock doors. This has changed slightly over time, but it's still very much not the norm to lock doors.

But, I don't live in this area anymore. I live in a much less isolated area, where different norms and concerns exist and apply. I lock doors, even if I don't when I'm back at my parents' house. It's appropriate to change your behavior to properly reflect your surroundings and other details specific to your current situation (including the fact that you are sharing space with someone, and that person's requirements for safety). Regardless of the GF's personal feelings about the necessity of door-locking, it should be done.

I typically don't lock myself in when I'm home, unless I'm going to sleep. This was a source of conflict, initially, between my roommate and myself in my first apartment, when I was 23. She was horrified that it wasn't second nature to me to lock the door, deadbolt, chain lock, and one other auxiliary lock from the inside when I was home. It never occurred to me to lock myself in with four separate mechanisms (five, if you count the coded door in the lobby three floors down) when I was just hanging out in the apartment. But it was important to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships