Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:20 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,085 times

Advertisements

If the relationship were new I would say wait it out. It's been two years. If he isn't sure by now, he never will be.

It's hard to leave because you have invested a lot of time in the relationship. That doesn't mean you should stay if he isn't going to commit.

Your move.

(By the way, the phrase you seek is "Tick Tock.")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 12:20 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
He is 35 y.o. and "trying hard" to commit? Just wait - he will be 65 y.o. and still "trying"...

Obviously he is not so wonderful as you think: your visa expires in 8 months, and you have to return to your country of origin, and he has no intention whatsoever in helping you out with this.
He wants to leave this country, but without you. Wait 8 months and see what happens to you.
^^^ This just completely contradict what you said about him in your last post...

He is not serious about you. You are there for his pleasure, and nothing more.
Move on before its too late.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:39 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
tick tock is the commonly used expression for a clock.

But unfortunately, your second post doesn't change my opinion. If he was committed to you, he'd commit and not be uncertain or "phobic." I can't tell you how many times I've seen it - a man loses his commitmentphobia when he meets the right woman, including a woman who refuses to accept that treatment.

You said he is 35, not sure how old you are, but if you are close to that same age and want to get married and have a family, then yes, it's tick tock for your biological clock in terms of being able to get pregnant. Don't throw that away on someone who isn't prepared to commit to a future with you.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:42 PM

324 posts, read 427,553 times
I'm not sure what he has to keep "trying" at. If he wanted to spend his life with you, he'd be trying to make a decision to marry you and stay in the country, or decide on what country you are going to move to, together.

It's easy to chalk things up to being a commitment phobe, only wanting sex, etc., but usually the truth in these matters is they just don't want that commitment, in this case, with you.

I know it's a tough spot to be in, but I'd cut him loose and find a guy who feels the same way about you.

I have a close friend that dated a woman for five years, never asked her to marry him and everyone called him a commitment phobe. Well, she broke up with him and six months later he met a new woman, married her six months after that and ten years later they're still happily married with two kids. So much for being afraid of committment!

Best of luck to you, OP.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:20 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
This is REALLY tough and I feel for you, OP. It sounds like he thinks a lot of you and really cares about you...but whether he has issues with committing or you're just not the woman for him it doesn't sound like you guys are on the same page. I totally get it - you really love him and you guys have a great time together. It's hard to walk away.

What if you just took a few steps back to take some space for yourself and think things over? You have your own place, right? Stay there. Take some time for yourself and think about what your future looks like. I know I would be really hurt if I was dating someone for two years and they were about to move to a foreign country with zero consideration of me and our relationship. You're staying with him all the time, but continuing to pay rent for a place you never use? What kind of weird hang up does this guy have he hasn't invited you to move in with him?

If I had been a few months, maybe even a year I would say cut him some slack, but at 2 years and he's 35 years old...it's time to crap or get off the pot so to speak.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:05 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita88 View Post
I have serious doubt about where I am in my relationship

he is not sure about moving in together

It makes me feel so insecure in his arms

like an old player and frat boy, he is a commitment phobe

he has no balls to jump into this

he wants to head to a new country in about a year

He is not very sure whether he wants to take me there

he has no intention whatsoever in helping me out with this

This is what you wrote.

Does it sound like you have a healthy relationship with a committed/devoted bf to you?

Old 03-02-2015, 04:40 PM

378 posts, read 441,607 times
Default Re:"I hope this brings up another comments."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita88 View Post
hahahahah thats hysterical (the tic tack comment) Isnt it he sound of a ticking clock?. Im hearing all replies here. Still thoughtful

He has done everything to be the best with me, he has traveled 3 times to my far away country to be with my parents, I have been 4 times in his country to visit his family. He is reluctant to break up, and says he wants to try more, and harder, because he doesnt think he could find a better partner than me.

He treats me SO INCREDIBLY GOOD, and makes me feel I'm his priority in his life, over friends, over work over family, he stays days and stops going out with his friends to help me out in a project I need, he is travelling a 6 hours flight to go with me to a big exam I have so Im not alone.

Anyway this is why is not that simple just, ok break up.

He has a phobia to commitment, but that doesnt stop him to be the most wonderful man with me in the.... present...

And thats why is so hard for me to leave him. And he says he doesnt want to break up but continue trying.But he is uncertain about our future.

Weird isnt it?

Ok.... I hope this brings up another comments.
Stop fishing for reason that he wants to commit with you.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:36 PM

535 posts, read 515,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You're a placeholder until he takes his next step.

The end.
Correct.

Sorry OP

Old 03-02-2015, 07:04 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
He's telling you want you want to hear to keep you around so he has someone to sleep with. I'm sorry OP, you're delusional if you think he's actually serious about you.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:17 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,463 times
I'm not sure what exactly you want him to do in terms of your Visa paperwork... Christ, my boyfriend asked me to fill out something for him pertaining to a hunting license and I was like "hell no, I ain't doin' no forms for you..." Seriously bureaucratic stuff sucks the big one.

But as far as your relationship goes, he sounds like Van Wilder and that is not necessarily a redeeming quality for a grown adult male. End it, you'll be better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships