Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 01:16 PM

957 posts, read 1,058,096 times

Advertisements

I honestly find it painful to be around most military people, even old friends that are now out of it. It seems like it's the only thing they talk about it and the majority are quite smug. I mean, thanks for your service and all, but please..

That said, I do know a select few that are fun to be around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 01:17 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,056,405 times
This non-copyrighted official USAF photograph depicts my kind of woman, on the right.

http://www.amc.af.mil/shared/media/p...-7937B-592.JPG

One of these days I should hang out in San Francisco during Fleet Week, maybe I could meet a Navy girl who is special to me and maybe she would feel the same toward me.

Maybe like these Navy girls:

http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/cg..._SEPT_2011.jpg

Last edited by neutrino78x; 03-06-2015 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-06-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
I honestly find it painful to be around most military people, even old friends that are now out of it. It seems like it's the only thing they talk about it and the majority are quite smug. I mean, thanks for your service and all, but please..
Well it's one of those experiences that are great for talking about. I mean if you had climbed Mount Everest you'd probably love to talk about that too. Or if you'd been to space. I've been "greater than 800 feet" underwater so that's an enjoyable subject to talk about, for me. I hated it when I was in, for the most part. I was one of those who say "I would never do it again but wouldn't have missed it for the world".

Old 03-06-2015, 01:37 PM

957 posts, read 1,058,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Well it's one of those experiences that are great for talking about. I mean if you had climbed Mount Everest you'd probably love to talk about that too. Or if you'd been to space. I've been "greater than 800 feet" underwater so that's an enjoyable subject to talk about, for me. I hated it when I was in, for the most part. I was one of those who say "I would never do it again but wouldn't have missed it for the world".
Talking about their experiences doesn't bother me at all, I enjoy that. I know quite a few that tell every 17-25 year old they come across to join up. They act like f**king recruiters and downplay all of life's other options. That is what drives me nuts. One of them I know thinks it should required that everyone serves two years in the Military.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
. I know quite a few that tell every 17-25 year old they come across to join up. They act like f**king recruiters and downplay all of life's other options.
Although I hated the military as a job, I would probably say this to someone of military age also, assuming they weren't in college looking at a good career already. If you're the person who hasn't been accepted into a college and wondering what you should do with life, I think the military is a great option. Plus you'll have funding to go to college when you get out, if you want. Of course you can join as an officer while you're in college, too. Or after you get out of college.

Quote:
That is what drives me nuts. One of them I know thinks it should required that everyone serves two years in the Military.
A lot of veterans feel that way. Switzerland, Germany, Japan, Israel and South Korea require that. It would probably cause politicians to make better decisions about sending our country to war. So I think your friend has a good point. Although we should talk about it in the politics forum instead. Edit: I'm not sure if I agree with him, just saying he has a good point.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:54 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,288,968 times
I have always found good communication, whether it is sharp writing or clear oral presentation, very sexy. It is probably no coincidence that my fiancee has a background in P.R. as well as marketing.

I'm a college professor and I can confirm that there are a fair number of women who are attracted to academics. Years ago I briefly dated a woman who always begged me to let her sit in on my classes, but I never let her because I was untenured at the time and I was separated but not yet divorced.

My good friend who is a veterinarian gets the rock star treatment by the other volunteers at the animal shelter where he does community service. Another friend is a french chef in SE Asia, formerly NYC, and dinner at his restaurant is about $500/head equivalent in the local currency. He apparently has women lining up at the bar trying to pick him up at closing time every night.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:11 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,173,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Too easy, Empress ... I set'em up and you knock'em down.

Quote:
What's wrong with Clowns? I guess you said you didn't care for men in uniforms.
I'm glad you took that in the spirit with which it was intended.

Men in uniform... It's not that I have any particular preference one way or the other. It's just that's who approaches me. I don't know why. Maybe when you live in the DC area like I did in my 20s and after my divorce, with all of those military bases around, it's just a numbers game.

Law enforcement won't leave me alone, either. Again, plenty in DC. Relationshipwise, only one DC cop, but if you want to count a month or two of dating, well, there's Secret Service, Customs and Border Patrol (at the time part of the Treasury, not sure if it is now), and a federal air marshall.

Once the last SO, who is a LEO, and I broke up, I figured, "Okay, no more of that." But now I have decided to just stop dating until I move back to DC this summer because if I heard, "By the way, I'm a cop. Is that going to be a problem?" one more time, I was going to pour my drink on someone's head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Besides some of professions listed as turn-offs by Djuna and Lilac, I will add pilots. I know some good ones, but I know more bad ones.
Had a few dates with one in my 20s, but the attraction came more from the fact that he went to Rensselaer than that he was a pilot. After my divorce I had a brief fling with another pilot. Gorgeous Norwegian. Yep. Nope. Good for fun but wouldn't have been fun for good.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:55 PM

10,029 posts, read 7,188,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I have always found good communication, whether it is sharp writing or clear oral presentation, very sexy. It is probably no coincidence that my fiancee has a background in P.R. as well as marketing.

I'm a college professor and I can confirm that there are a fair number of women who are attracted to academics. Years ago I briefly dated a woman who always begged me to let her sit in on my classes, but I never let her because I was untenured at the time and I was separated but not yet divorced.

My good friend who is a veterinarian gets the rock star treatment by the other volunteers at the animal shelter where he does community service. Another friend is a french chef in SE Asia, formerly NYC, and dinner at his restaurant is about $500/head equivalent in the local currency. He apparently has women lining up at the bar trying to pick him up at closing time every night.
I am too and what I found was that it can be just as much of a drawback as an advantage. A problem I've had (and I have this in 'normal life' not just dating) is that people treat me differently. They'll become insecure, feeling the need to tell me whatever they think they know about my subject as if I need to hear that to accept them. One woman literally said I was "too smart" for her which didn't make sense to me since I don't really "speak intellectual" in my daily life.

I'm still relatively young - 32 - and I get the feeling they think I'm some sort of wunderkind to be working this job and not be 50-60.

They can be attracted to the confidence factor. I've spoken in public so much that I'm pretty secure with the "presentation" of myself as you suggest.

I would put "academic" as a turn-off. There are a few single female professors at my institution in my general age range and I can't stand most of them.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:02 PM

20,325 posts, read 14,547,380 times
Quote:

Yeah, my husband seems to think that we should all serve in order to be full citizens. Knowing him, he'd exempt women though. <-- The only response I can muster to the whole thing... And he talks about his time in the Army at great length, often.

Of course...I have a really hard time not bringing my favorite band into practically every conversation. So I don't hold it against him, really.

I am NOT attracted to athletes of any kind (I'd rather date a politician actually) teachers, uniforms in general do nothing for me...

Really this question doesn't have a simple answer. Because if I'm talking about guys that I am simply attracted to then yeah, I like the creative people and the rock guitarists and so on. Oh, and tattoo artists, I would LOVE to be with a talented tattoo artist. That's very cool.

But if we are talking about a guy that I'm in a long term, serious relationship with, I do want some stability in my day to day life. So as long as he's got a CAREER and not just floating from one semi-successful gig to the next, it wouldn't matter if he was an engineer or a physicist or a plumber. I'd like, for the long term, for my guy to be happy with whatever he's doing in life, but to be able to leave work at work (for the most part) and just be well rounded regardless.

Unfortunately, I do not have either of those ends of the spectrum. But I love my husband anyways.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 7,188,252 times
Quote:

It depends whether they were the "military type." I was in the Army and only had that attitude for a year or two. By the time I got out I was so sick of it I made a point to not act like that. Most people are surprised that I served because I really don't give off the vibe. Had you known me when I was 19 I would have been like that but I grew out of it. Some people never do.

The smug attitude seemed to be a bigger problem among the officers than the enlisted corps.

Aviation is indeed the worst. Pilots always thought they were hot s**t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships