Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 02:54 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

I've been dating this woman about three or months or so - very sweet, dependable, attentive, etc. Things have generally gone well. She is twice divorced and lost a baby when he was three months old, so I know there's some emotional baggage, but she hasn't really shown it.

She has been living with her brother and sister in law over the last two years. I had been to the house, but had never been inside it until last night. The kitchen counter was so cluttered with dishes there was no space left. There was a tub of butter sitting out exposed and had spoiled. Half the dining room was completely inaccessible with mounds of clothes that went as high as my head. It was the nastiest, most cluttered place I've personally ever seen. I have asthma and couldn't spend more than ten minutes in there without having to go outside and catch my breath.

Her bedroom was no better. You couldn't step on the floor without walking on her clothes or other belongings. She was also having me save what seemed to be worthless items - I moved multiple large picture frames (two to three tall by a foot wide or so) that had $1.50 price tags from Goodwill. She wanted to save ten boxes of 24 count Crayons. Probably half the things we moved last night were broken, duplicates, or useless. Her car is also messy, but not really abnormally so.

I am a pretty clean person, but not an absolute neat freak. I never leave perishable items for longer than I am using them, take out trash at least every other day, never let clothes accumulate on the floor, etc. I know all of this hoard is not hers, but I am concerned about the number of items she seems to be keeping that are of little value and questionable use. I was originally going to help her, two brothers, nephew, and sister in law help move today, but I told her I couldn't be in that house. I told her I would come over tomorrow and help sort and unload the items.

How would you try to handle this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 02:57 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Do what you said you will help with tomorrow then plan on not going back to the house unless it stays cleaned up.
Otherwise you cannot change her ways and I would advise not inviting her to move in with you or allow her to keep anything at your place, even for a short period of time.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:00 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
If anyone remembers what I say here... one thing I don't do is advocate breaking up quickly.... I usually say to try and make it work.... in the case of hoarders, if you are new to the relationship, I'd say run run like the wind and run as fast as you're little legs can carry you...

That hording seems so insurmountable that I couldn't imagine getting involved with that......

I don't mean to sound harsh here...

Old 03-07-2015, 03:05 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Isn't hoarding a form of OCD? You could suggest she get treated for OCD. But she seems to be in a family of hoarders.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:09 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
At this point, I'm really not sure how much of the problem is hers or that of her brother/sis in law.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:12 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,288,251 times
It's one thing to be alone and hoarding, but a whole family of hoarders would be quite a challenge to conquer. Myself, if I can't walk through a place without gagging....rotten butter....I would never return. Tell her the truth, tell her how you feel about it

Old 03-07-2015, 03:13 PM

718 posts, read 615,586 times
After watching those A&E hoarder shows, I'm scarred for life. No way would I ever put myself in that position. However, if she's simply very, very messy, then you can probably work with that. At the end of the day, her messiness won't affect you unless you decide to move in together. You just started dating her so I don't think that's coming up, but if that's where the relationship is heading -- perhaps have a conversation with her and ask her where the messiness comes from? Why she lets it get that bad? Is it her or the in laws? etc. Hoarding is a disease though, so if you're planning to stick it out, prepare yourself for some serious sh*t.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:15 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
At this point, I'm really not sure how much of the problem is hers or that of her brother/sis in law.
You said she was collecting big boxes of crayons. Who really needs crayons, and why more than one box? She's a hoarder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations;
She was also having me save what seemed to be worthless items - I moved multiple large picture frames (two to three tall by a foot wide or so) that had $1.50 price tags from Goodwill. She wanted to save ten boxes of 24 count Crayons. Probably half the things we moved last night were broken, duplicates, or useless. Her car is also messy, but not really abnormally so.
Because she's from (or with) a family of hoarders, she probably doesn't realize that it's an illness, and not normal.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:27 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Wow. Your concern is understandable.

I'm kind of with Chow, in that I'd at least be poised for an escape. On the other hand, Ashley's right, too. If this woman is someone you really like and you've been dating for a couple of months, then a respectful but honest conversation about it is not out of order. As Ruth says, she might not even realize it's as bad as it is, and perhaps she needs a wake-up call.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:15 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Did it seem like there might be some dead cats hidden in the hoard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships