U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 02:07 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,414,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
I know the minute I start a relationship or dating with a girl/women I have experience wayyyy unrelatic expectations

Family must own a sucessful business

Must have a specific height

Must be exact same age

Must make 100k

Must be okay with not seeing each for quite some time workacholic status

Must be okay with waiting a really long time to meet up

Must be okay with an abusive attitude

Must have a lot in common

This hasnt been the case with every girl i dated i met very few but my mind blows when i come across woman like this

You guys have experience anything like this?
Sorry, but I've gotta clock in here, as these topics keep popping up...
It seems to me the majority of "requirements" that end up on "laundry lists" of 'must-haves' show too many individuals focus on what a prospective date/mate can give to or provide for them, rather than any genuine interest in the person himself/herself.

Here's a thought: the next time you meet someone who has unreasonable expectations, ask the person why something like your height, age, income level, etc., is so important to them. You might learn a lot about their character and priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 02:08 PM

25,906 posts, read 36,209,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
My exes all made that kind of money. And we are not talking professionals, try two diesel mechanics and a truck driver. I live in the North East.
I think "and not be a deadbeat dad" is a pretty common dating requirement, but who knows, maybe it's not.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:14 PM

21,730 posts, read 21,618,824 times
[quote=Mr.Professional;38777444]
Quote:
I know the minute I start a relationship or dating with a girl/women I have
experience wayyyy unrelatic expectations
No but at my age my expectations are:

Family must own a sucessful business-hope they don't have family

Must have a specific height-Can stand up straight

Must be exact same age- not dead

Must make 100k-not on disability

Must be okay with not seeing each for quite some time workacholic status-not up my butt 24/7

Must be okay with waiting a really long time to meet up-better hurry, not much time left

Must be okay with an abusive attitude-ok with me speaking my mind, I'm too old to sugar coat things.

Must have a lot in common-must have something in common

Old 03-11-2015, 02:19 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,565,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think most men who do that are already married or divorced at least once. Dry cleaners are classic examples of a "mom and pop," don't you think?
Those are just examples. My point was it's not that unrealistic of an expectation. Not many people will break $100K before they are 30 or so. MD's will just barely break $100K before they are 30 if they aren't going into surgery, but if the timeline changes to 40 you will have significantly more people to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Ok, so as a requirement must live in a high cost of living metropolitan area and have a degree in a STEM field.

Those requirement would only work in select areas.
Or teach, or be a cop, or any number of professions.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:11 PM

2,151 posts, read 2,765,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It's not that much money if you live in a major city. Who do you think is buying the $500-$700K houses?
if u make that much and ur looking for a partner that makes similar, fine. If u are an admin assistant and only want guys that are at the executive level, then i could see it being ridiculous

Old 03-11-2015, 03:12 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,560,597 times
The most common I see are ridiculous height requirements.

I can understand some girl wanting someone at least taller than them, but a 5'4" girl wanting a 6'2" guy or better because he will still tower over her in heels is silly.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:30 PM

7,351 posts, read 4,186,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think "and not be a deadbeat dad" is a pretty common dating requirement, but who knows, maybe it's not.
None if them were dads when I met themand ironically they were very generous and supportive of the kids right up until they broke up with me. It all went downhill after that.

Many men have the strange ability to forget they have kids when they are no longer with the mom.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:41 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,777,763 times
Sheesh. I have a college degree and work in law enforcement and made $68,000 last year and that's with overtime. I'm never gonna hit 100k but I know a few who are close but they live to work over time. I don't know how they have a life. Most don't make that much
Those who make 100K base pay, I guess I chose the wrong profession if 100k is considered average.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:12 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,497,957 times
There are fields where one can def make over 100k, business(supply chain, operations management), doctors, and some attorneys(like my sister). If you get a job in the oil field you can make 100k or more, pipe liners, plumbers, trucking, some mechanics, business owners, etc.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:05 AM

21,730 posts, read 21,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
There are fields where one can def make over 100k, business(supply chain, operations management), doctors, and some attorneys(like my sister). If you get a job in the oil field you can make 100k or more, pipe liners, plumbers, trucking, some mechanics, business owners, etc.
Its all relative to your location. Where I am if you hold out for 100K your going to be single for a long time. I don't think it is reasonable to expect a potential date to make more than you are capable of making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or