Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mother/wife ambitions less attractive than hyper career ambitions?
Yes 24 29.63%
No 57 70.37%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler View Post
It's all about context.

I actually made the top 5 list again of salespeople for my product in my state.

While it does mean I'm making good money, sadly, it doesn't improve my dating prospects.
I'm going to go out on a limb, here, and postulate that your state sales standing and associated income may not be at the root of any dating issues.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:42 PM

376 posts, read 317,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You said that sufficient finances are necessary for a family to be happy and healthy. I don't disagree with that. I don't see, however, where both parents earning the same income is categorically necessary for finances to be sufficient.

There's nothing wrong with it. But it has nothing to do with whether or not you are "an equal."
No, what you implied I said was that a family with enough money is, by definition, a happy family. And that's not what I said at all.

This whole argument is really ridiculous, and for a person at my age (35) to run into a woman who is "aspiring" to be a stay-at-home mom is a possibility so remote that it's really approaching farce.

I've stated it several times, I want a financial equal as well. And you keep forgetting that I'm only talking about my own situation.

I make around $100K and I would want more than that for annual household income to raise a couple of kids.

So, really, where are these women that want to be SAHM's? I've never met one. What are they doing right now? Through their 20's and 30's?

I just don't get this scenario even playing out in real life.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb, here, and postulate that your state sales standing and associated income may not be at the root of any dating issues.
It was sort of a joke...sort of

Old 03-17-2015, 12:58 PM

Well, first off, I didn't imply anything, I directly quoted you and then contributed my own commentary. You said you need a certain amount of money to be happy/healthy, I don't disagree (though I don't believe that sufficient finances necessarily come from two parents pulling in an identical dollar amount). I never said anything about thinking that money is ALL a family needs to be healthy or happy.

Quote:
So, really, where are these women that want to be SAHM's? I've never met one. What are they doing right now? Through their 20's and 30's?

I just don't get this scenario even playing out in real life.
After my child is born, I'll be a SAHM for at least as long as it takes me to finish my graduate degree. Longer, if that is what my spouse and I determine, and depending on the needs of my child.

What I am I doing right now? Going to grad school full-time. Something we'd already planned for, whether we were able to start a family or not.

What did I do through my twenties and thirties to date? Worked full-time in my chosen field. Wasn't a parent.

Will I go back to work after becoming a parent? Yep, I plan to, given that my continued degree is something I'm completing specifically due to the type of work I do. Whether full time or part time and when are all decisions that will be made jointly with my spouse, based on what we feel is best for our family. I also plan to stay home with my child for whatever time period my family feels is best, possibly eventually work an abbreviated schedule with a smaller client caseload, which I'll have the flexibility to do, perhaps.

Just a slice of "real life" as it's playing out, here.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 03-17-2015 at 01:07 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Well, first off, I didn't imply anything, I directly quoted you and then contributed my own commentary. You said you need a certain amount of money to be happy/healthy, I don't disagree (though I don't believe that sufficient finances necessarily come from two parents pulling in an identical dollar amount). I never said anything about thinking that money is ALL a family needs to be healthy or happy.

After my child is born, I'll be a SAHM for at least as long as it takes me to finish my graduate degree. Longer, if that is what my spouse and I determine, and depending on the needs of my child.

What I am I doing right now? Going to grad school full-time. Something we'd already planned for, whether we were able to start a family or not.

What did I do through my twenties and thirties to date? Worked full-time in my chosen field. Wasn't a parent.

Will I go back to work after becoming a parent? Yep, I plan to, given that my continued degree is something I'm completing specifically due to the type of work I do. Whether full time or part time and when are all decisions that will be made jointly with my spouse, based on what we feel is best for our family. I also plan to stay home with my child for whatever time period my family feels is best, possibly eventually work an abbreviated schedule with a smaller client caseload, which I'll have the flexibility to do, perhaps.

Just a slice of "real life" as it's playing out, here.
Well, then you're actually not aspiring to be a SAHM. So you're not even who I'm talking about. You're going to do it short term because it makes sense on several different fronts.

That's not what I took the meaning of the thread to be.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:53 PM

I guess it depends on how you define "aspiring."

Is it something I WANT to do? Yes.

How long or short term it ends up being is really dependent upon a number of variables that haven't been revealed yet.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I guess it depends on how you define "aspiring."

Is it something I WANT to do? Yes.

How long or short term it ends up being is really dependent upon a number of variables that haven't been revealed yet.
Why bother with the advanced degree, then?

Old 03-17-2015, 02:04 PM

Mainly? Because I can and it's free and it interests me.

If I get an opportunity to use it, career-wise, awesome, because it will open a variety of doors that my bachelor's alone will not. I imagine I will ultimately get the opportunity to use it, should I so choose, but it's not my first priority.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Mainly? Because I can and it's free and it interests me.

If I get an opportunity to use it, career-wise, awesome, because it will open a variety of doors that my bachelor's alone will not. I imagine I will ultimately get the opportunity to use it, should I so choose, but it's not my first priority.

Wow, must be nice. Being a stay-at-home spouse/parent is not really an option that most men get to even contemplate, much less exercise.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:15 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler View Post
Well, then you're actually not aspiring to be a SAHM. So you're not even who I'm talking about. You're going to do it short term because it makes sense on several different fronts.

That's not what I took the meaning of the thread to be.
Are you talking about the women who never plan to work again? Yeah those women tend to be lazy but not the majority. I think most women who stay at home after a baby (and keep in mind most women don't stay at home)only do it for a few years, until perhaps the baby goes to school. Oddly, I've always been a career person but like the idea of staying at him after a birth. Then again I work at home and my boyfriend does too (we don't live together) so if we did have a baby the baby would have us both. However this right now is just something we discuss but won't think about unless we get married and have a baby (or adopt). I know a few women who never worked again, even when the kids are in school and they are lazy usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships