Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mother/wife ambitions less attractive than hyper career ambitions?
Yes 24 29.63%
No 57 70.37%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 05:46 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,886,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I just don't see how it's difficult. Everything people have mentioned can be outsourced for $10-$15/hr and won't take 40 hours to complete.

Cleaning
Laundry
Dishes
Appointment setting

I'm going by the recommended sleep times. Teens are only recommended to get 9-10 hrs of sleep, but teens have longer school hours and are largely self sufficient by that point.

CDC - How Much Sleep Do I Need? - Sleep and Sleep Disorders
People keep mentioning the cleaning and while it can take a few hours, if one is single or a two people working couple it can take longer. Everyone has to clean, though quite a few people choose not to.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:50 PM

52,165 posts, read 52,609,244 times
None of these people here have kids, yet everyone is saying how easy it is????

Amazing the crap this forum produces......

Old 03-19-2015, 06:10 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,254,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I don't really think there is anything anyone can say to convince you that parenting is harder than you think it is because you already think you know everything. Why is it so hard to admit that you might actually not know what it's like to be a parent?
I'm willing to be educated, but in order for that to happen I need to know what is so difficult. Cleaning? Washing dishes? Laundry? Cooking? Chauffeur? Shopping? Tutor? You can hire someone to do this stuff for $12-$15/hr and they won't need to be FT if the kids are in school.

Time consuming? Yes
Challenging? Sure. Though I would argue this is because people don't know what they don't know.
Thankless? Most definitely.
Difficult? I'm not really seeing it.

I don't know what it's like to be a parent, but given the choice, I would gladly choose that over, say, a coal miner.

Quote:
And for the record - saying that being a parent is hard doesn't mean that it's not enjoyable or that every minute is torture. It simply means that it's hard. Things that are hard can also be wonderful.
Idk, I see a lot of people claiming it's the hardest job and that it should pay $100K-$300K (different ads, different articles), but the bulk of the work can be outsourced for <$30K.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:15 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,151,011 times
Quote:
I just don't see how it's difficult.

Yes, I understand that. We agree that you just don't see how it's difficult. And I'm saying that it doesn't matter if you can't see it. If you have children, you will understand. Until then, you can either accept that you don't understand or you can keep thinking that you know everything about something that you have not experienced.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, I understand that. We agree that you just don't see how it's difficult. And I'm saying that it doesn't matter if you can't see it. If you have children, you will understand. Until then, you can either accept that you don't understand or you can keep thinking that you know everything about something that you have not experienced.
I don't have kids either, but I got enough sense to know that I don't really understand what it's like to raise children...

Simple basic subject to grasp, yet here we are page after page after page rehashing the same old crapola......

People without children don't have a clue what is involved with child raising and to say otherwise is just foolish.........

We can guess, but it's like trying to explain how to ride a bicycle.....you don't get it til you've done it........

Old 03-19-2015, 06:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I know a woman who's hubby makes little money and has a daughter not quite school age but is talking about having another child if her husband gets a raise. They rent and have only one car. The wife is not motivated to work. I don't understand why more children when they are barely making it now! I dont understand why .....
But, really...when it comes right down to it, do you need to understand why? Does it matter whether or not you understand why?

It seems to me that the only people who need to be really clear on the ins and outs and particulars of this situation are the people in it.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:29 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,886,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't have kids either, but I got enough sense to know that I don't really understand what it's like to raise children...

Simple basic subject to grasp, yet here we are page after page after page rehashing the same old crapola......

People without children don't have a clue what is involved with child raising and to say otherwise is just foolish.........

We can guess, but it's like trying to explain how to ride a bicycle.....you don't get it til you've done it........
My mom was a SAHM and even she says once the kids go to school it's not all that hard. She said working and then coming home to cook and clean was much harder.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:32 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,224,281 times
There's nothing difficult about out, but it is indeed time consuming based on the sheer volume and frequency when you have a few kids. When it was just the Mr. and I we could easily get away with giving the place a once-over on Sunday afternoon and throw on a load of laundry or two.

Could *I* justify staying home full-time when the kids are at school? Absolutely not, nor do I want to. But the fact remains that the responsibilities are not held in suspended animation during the 6.5 hours the kids are out of the house.
Quote:
There are 7+ hours to do laundry and wash dishes. Dishes practically wash themselves and laundry can be done by a wash N fold place. Even if you do all that yourself it's more time consuming than anything else. I mean, what have you actually mentioned that is difficult?

Old 03-19-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
My mom was a SAHM and even she says once the kids go to school it's not all that hard. She said working and then coming home to cook and clean was much harder.
LOL.... reread what you wrote, you're making my point.....that shows that if raising kids were so easy it wouldn't be an issue to come home after work and tend to that stuff...

It shows how tough raising kids really is in that doing both can be extremely tough...

Old 03-19-2015, 06:40 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,791,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Hopefully, you see the irony in this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.