Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mother/wife ambitions less attractive than hyper career ambitions?
Yes 24 29.63%
No 57 70.37%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:56 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Wow. I've worked most of my life, I only took a year off on my husband's dollar. What I did for that year had value. I did everything centered around home. Everything was taken care of, cleaning, laundry, shopping.. etc. so the time off my husband had was centered around the children and myself. That was our agreement. I managed the household, chores, cooking and money. Home cooked food, morning, noon and night. Well balanced meals with wise shopping. Free time activities were under my suggestions and were well thought out and in the children's benefit....

Raising the next generation is no small responsibility. Did I do that? No. I came into a family with older children.

If you de-value that role, you de-value our future.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-19-2015, 10:00 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Wow. I've worked most of my life, I only took a year off on my husband's dollar. What I did for that year had value. I did everything centered around home. Everything was taken care of, cleaning, laundry, shopping.. etc. so the time off my husband had was centered around the children and myself. That was our agreement. I managed the household, chores, cooking and money. Home cooked food, morning, noon and night. Well balanced meals with wise shopping. Free time activities were under my suggestions and were well thought out and in the children's benefit....

Raising the next generation is no small responsibility. Did I do that? No. I came into a family with older children.

I'd be curious if you can point to a single poster who disagreed With that (despite offended SAHM's attempts to portray it as such.)
From what I've seen it's about the women who stay at home AFTER their kids are in school. (some for 20-30+ years.)

Old 03-19-2015, 10:07 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:

Raising the next generation is a thought of a person who tends toward selflessness..... a trait that is rare and something to be admired....

Greater global thinking outside of ourselves and our immediate needs is the sign of what leaders and true visionaries do....

Things that men like Dr. Martin Luther King jr have done........... men like him should be aspired to........

Granted this thread isn't on par with what MLK would do, but small snippets abound.

Mikala's post is a small snippet of that greater/larger thinking....

Old 03-19-2015, 10:09 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'd be curious if you can point to a single poster who disagreed With that (despite offended SAHM's attempts to portray it as such.)
From what I've seen it's about the women who stay at home AFTER their kids are in school. (some for 20-30+ years.)
I haven't seen that, but I haven't read every post in the thread. Personally, I could care less what anyone says other than my husband. If he can see the value in what I do ( whether working or not) that's all that matters. Fortunately, he feels the same.

I feel I have a responsibility to add, somehow, to the world. Whether work, being a spouse, sibling, daughter, mother.....whatever. As long as my tiny, little footprint has helped, even if in some small way.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-20-2015, 01:29 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
That's my issue but some took it to mean I meant babies. No, in fact earlier I stated that I have a job I do at home and in effect if I have a baby I'll be home while it's a baby at least. My boyfriend (will be my husband if we have kids) also works at home so the baby will have two stay at home parents. I plan to switch fields but probably won't for a few years. However that is different than not working once they are in school and later. I saw a woman on a game show say she's a stay at home mom and her child is in college.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:52 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
If she has her own money then I wouldn't have a problem. If she just wants me to work and support her through life then yes that's a problem. She can go find a sucker out there who will do it.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:11 AM

376 posts, read 317,595 times
Quote:

That role has been viciously devalued for around 50 years.

And it wasn't men who did it.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:19 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler View Post
That role has been viciously devalued for around 50 years.

And it wasn't men who did it.
Meh. Plenty of men over the years have felt that childcare and homemaking was so beneath them that it was only suitable for a woman to do. That's not exactly valuing the role.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:20 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Meh. Plenty of men over the years have felt that childcare and homemaking was so beneath them that it was only suitable for a woman to do. That's not exactly valuing the role.

Saying a SAHM is not their equal, is pretty clearly devaluing in my book.

But both genders have individuals that devalue it. I have at times, myself.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:23 AM

376 posts, read 317,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Nice strawman.

And plenty of men have also loved, respected and provided for their homemaking wives for their entire adult lives, for thousands of years.

But it was a nice attempt to make it "men's fault," all the same.

Feminism has solely been responsible for the devaluation of the stay-at-home mom role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships