Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 09:02 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,834,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Sounds like somebody feels threatened by women's gains. Wusses.

Women getting more education slows down the birthrate and contributes to national prosperity and GDP growth globally, according to studies. And did y'all know that once wages stagnated, starting in the 70's (not to mention the recession of that period), women's joining the workforce as a mass phenomenon was essential for maintaining the standard of living in the US? According to economists, it was flat wages, not so much the women's movement, that caused women to seek jobs. Corporate greed is bad news, peeps. CEO's taking all the profits to pay themselves more, without giving employees any reward for their improved productivity.

I think I love you, Newbs. One hundred reps.

But you are wasting your intellect, maturity and common sense in CDland, I'm afraid. It's just so much easier to blame "feminism."

Old 03-18-2015, 09:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,225,156 times
One of the biggest hurdles for us is my husband's winter hours, because he plows snow. This year was especially brutal, because even when it was not actively snowing he still had to be out there scraping ice from the roads when it was so cold that the salt can't melt it. He worked on average 100-120/week for 9 weeks straight, and some weeks did not even get to come home at all (they have sleep accommodations at his base), so it was just me holding down the fort during that time. I missed several classes due to delayed openings and early dismissals for my kids, and could not work when they were home on winter break.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:10 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,834,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Exactly.

This thread is nonsense, both the article and the OP's views. While they might fit the definition, I don't consider a 20 year old a bachelor, nor should they be married at that age. The 70% stat is only used here to be dramatic.

As for the OP, he has obvious hang ups, but out in the real world, 20 year olds aren't choosing not to get married because of alimony. It's only the internet, blog, MRA followers that obsess about these things that have no relevance to their own lives, other than being weak and stupid excuses to hide their shortcomings behind.
Couldn't rep you, Liberty. Bummer.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:35 AM

102,178 posts, read 107,754,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I am under pressure from parents to get married off by 25. At this point in life, I would much rather stay single and take time to make the right choices. Is there anything wrong with that ?
Not at all. That's what you should be doing. It shows why the article's premiss is bogus. People who are in grad school or who are at the bottom rung of the career ladder, waiting for their chance to climb it, or who are giving themselves some time to mature, are not "going their own way". They're doing the sensible thing, focussing on personal and professional growth before making a major life-changing personal commitment.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:43 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,197,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not at all. That's what you should be doing. It shows why the article's premiss is bogus. People who are in grad school or who are at the bottom rung of the career ladder, waiting for their chance to climb it, or who are giving themselves some time to mature, are not "going their own way". They're doing the sensible thing, focussing on personal and professional growth before making a major life-changing personal commitment.
Thank you. My sister got married right out of college at age 23, and my aunt still calls the shots on whether she should give importance to having children or studying. Seriously, she is distressed doing a PhD and managing a 2 year old kid. I don't want to be in that situation. I am not getting married before I develop completely. I clearly told my mom this. Nothing will start till I say yes. And the early & mid 20's is a time for personal development as an adult. Kids can come later.

To see my sister in such pain, hurts. She was such a motivated and enthusiastic individual earlier, and now is stressed & depressed. She ended up marrying a family man who is good with kids, but my aunt still called the shots and said she should take care of children while he should spend more time working. She sucked up then, at the age of 24 and now deeply regrets it. Husband didn't stand up for her either.

Some people are just " cut out" as the right people to have families earlier than others, and this goes for men & women. One must work up the guts to say NO when parents try to call shots after marriage without permission. In my opinion, that's when you are truly ready to raise kids.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 03-18-2015 at 10:55 AM..

Old 03-18-2015, 10:51 AM

36,482 posts, read 30,813,185 times
[quote=TheSmuggler;38851546]
Quote:
No, but there are surveys that gauge people's attitudes on marriage. The snark
was pretty unnecessary.
Perhaps you should be more specific and list links to these surveys?

Quote:
And no desire to find out how the process DOES work. You're right, all us
stupid, fearful men see are our broken fathers, brothers, friends and relatives
that come out the other end of Divorce Corp's meat grinder.
Its been my experience that divorce brings out the worst in people and there are always three sides to the story; his, hers, and the truth. Every poor pitiful divorce story is only showing one exaggerated, embellished, and biased side.

Quote:
As I said in the post you ridiculed, fear of divorce is consistently the number
one reason that men are reluctant to marry.
I would dare say unfounded fear perpetrated by woman hating man clubs and probably limited to men who have never been married, probably never in a LTR. Statistics indicated men re-marry at a much higher rate than women.

Quote:
Just absolute disregard and total lack of empathy for 50% of the human race is
what's on display in your post.
How do you figure that.

Quote:

Also, what's hilariously ironic about this comment is that the last several pages have been shaming me because I would insist on having a spouse who makes comparable money to me.
I don't think anyone is slamming you for not wanting a SAHM or for wanting a spouse who has equal earning power, I think that is what most people want. It is your idea of all being equal in regards to having a family and maintaining the status quo.

Quote:

So, what's 2mares' response to men's divorce fears? "Marry a woman who makes comparable money and you won't have to worry about that..."

What is the saying? History repeats itself first as tragedy, and then as farce.
I'm not sure how that saying is relevant. Educate yourself on divorce laws.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:05 AM

376 posts, read 317,553 times
[quote=2mares;38863434]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler View Post
Perhaps you should be more specific and list links to these surveys?

Its been my experience that divorce brings out the worst in people and there are always three sides to the story; his, hers, and the truth. Every poor pitiful divorce story is only showing one exaggerated, embellished, and biased side.

I would dare say unfounded fear perpetrated by woman hating man clubs and probably limited to men who have never been married, probably never in a LTR. Statistics indicated men re-marry at a much higher rate than women.

How do you figure that.

I don't think anyone is slamming you for not wanting a SAHM or for wanting a spouse who has equal earning power, I think that is what most people want. It is your idea of all being equal in regards to having a family and maintaining the status quo.

I'm not sure how that saying is relevant. Educate yourself on divorce laws.
Baaaaaaahahahahaahahahaha. Were you able to type the bolded with a straight face?

So, men's fear of divorce is an unfounded fear fomented by woman-hating man clubs populated by men who've never been in relationships? Hahahaahahahahaha.

Just give me a second here, I'm going to need a minute to recover.

And you had the gall, a paragraph before that statement, to ask me for evidence of my assertion.

Would you care to offer the same? Where do these man clubs meet?

It's hard for me to imagine someone being that out of touch, so I have to assume you're grasping at straws there.

Because men couldn't possibly see their fathers, brothers, friends and coworkers go through divorces and form their own opinions, or come to grips with the raw statistic that 50% of marriages end in divorce.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:10 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,345,853 times
Quote:
Because men couldn't possibly see their fathers, brothers, friends and coworkers go through divorces and form their own opinions, or come to grips with the raw statistic that 50% of marriages end in divorce.
Except that as we've said over and over on this thread (and has been demonstrated with statistics, not anecdotes from our buddies,) 50% of marriages don't end in divorce. And even if that were true, it's not as if marriage is a crap shoot that you have no control over. A bad marriage and its accompanying acrimonious divorce isn't something that just happens. If you take the time to choose the right partner and be the right partner, and if maintaining your relationship is a priority, then the evil specter of divorce isn't going to rear its ugly head and if it does, it's something that can be worked out thoughtfully between two mature partners.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-18-2015 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-18-2015, 11:12 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,925,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Except that as we've said over and over on this thread (and has been demonstrated with statistics, not anecdotes from our buddies,) 50% of marriages don't end in divorce. And even if that were true, it's not as if marriage is a crap shoot that you have no control over. A bad marriage isn't something that just happens. If you take the time to choose the right partner and if maintaining your relationship is a priority, then the evil specter of divorce isn't going to rear its ugly head.

50% is close for all marriages, but for first marriages, it is far lower. So, if you get married, you're likely to stay married. Even more likely if you want until late 20s or older and have an education.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:13 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,152,722 times
Quote:
Baaaaaaahahahahaahahahaha. Were you able to type the bolded with a straight face?

So, men's fear of divorce is an unfounded fear fomented by woman-hating man clubs populated by men who've never been in relationships? Hahahaahahahahaha.

Just give me a second here, I'm going to need a minute to recover.

And you had the gall, a paragraph before that statement, to ask me for evidence of my assertion.

Would you care to offer the same? Where do these man clubs meet?

It's hard for me to imagine someone being that out of touch, so I have to assume you're grasping at straws there.

Men actually remarry after divorce more often than women do.

Can you post a link to the 50% divorce rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.