Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 08:31 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_fly_12 View Post
There are many little girls that are raised to believe marriage needs to be fairy-tale like. NBC recently published the "average" cost of a wedding to be just over $31,000.

I have gone around and around with some young brides to be in the past trying to talk them out of spending this kind of money. The concept is so ingrained in their heads, like a right of passage, that you can't talk sense into them.

Anyone that starts a new married life by immediately being in the hole just from the party is too immature to be tying the knot IMHO.

The Average Cost of a Wedding Soars to More Than $31,000 - NBC News
Most of that is entertainment with a bit under half just for the reception hall.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:35 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
I know nobody who spent $31K on a wedding. I know my own wedding cost nothing anywhere close to that. Not even a fraction of it.

It would be interesting to see the data set that produced that figure.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:38 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I know nobody who spent $31K on a wedding. I know my own wedding cost nothing anywhere close to that. Not even a fraction of it.

It would be interesting to see the data set that produced that figure.
Me either and I live in Chicago where people are supposedly spending $48K. I don't know that many people that are married, but still.

03/27/2014: TheKnot.com Releases 2013 Wedding Statistics

Old 03-14-2015, 08:40 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This is excellent news. People really shouldn't be getting married (on average) until 30 when education is done and careers are well on track, and people are more matured. The data shows these individuals are among the least likely to divorce. We're heading in the right direction!
Exactly.

This thread is nonsense, both the article and the OP's views. While they might fit the definition, I don't consider a 20 year old a bachelor, nor should they be married at that age. The 70% stat is only used here to be dramatic.

As for the OP, he has obvious hang ups, but out in the real world, 20 year olds aren't choosing not to get married because of alimony. It's only the internet, blog, MRA followers that obsess about these things that have no relevance to their own lives, other than being weak and stupid excuses to hide their shortcomings behind.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:44 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Do it right? You don't need to spend $50K on what is basically a party to get married.
I'm not privy to what absolutely everyone is doing for their weddings, but I'm still going to guess that the majority don't take such a practical approach to their 'special day'.

But okay, I admit that wasn't the strongest point I made in my post.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:49 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
I know people that spent around 5K on their wedding and people that spent over 50K. However, I don't know anyone that went into debt because of their wedding. The people that spent a lot of money had it to spend.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:57 AM

132 posts, read 140,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
Bachelor Nation: 70% of Men Aged 20-34 Are Not Married | CNS News

Going to cut and paste a few paragraphs here.

Why is it men's fault that men don't want to get married? I blame family law and how it favors women when it comes to alimony, child custody, child support, division of assets, no fault divorces, etc.

So if a woman finds a nice guy during her bad boy dating years (18-25) she better hold onto him. I think both genders have left the virgin until marriage notion behind with the rare exceptions. Though this article says 'woe to the girl that doesn't put out' there are still way more virgin or dateless men then women IMO and not by choice.

I do agree that the changing marriage rates is a direct result of feminism. After decades of social law favoring women in divorce courts it leaves very little reason or incentive for men to get married. A marriage followed by a 50% chance of divorce resulting in alimony and child support(s) can leave a man financially ruined for the better part of his life. Not even talking about the behavioral changes of women but just the legal implications of marriage.

I do want to get married someday, but I'm being very cautious about it.
Unless you have a religious belief about marriage, it just doesn't seem to be an advantageous thing to do any more. Every ones situation is different. I respect those who do and can make it work, it didn't work for me. There was a marriage tax penalty, our combined income was taxed at a higher rate than if we were single. Last time I looked, even though they claimed to have corrected the penalty issue, it still existed. You could look yourself, but really, that was a minor issue but major expense for us when we got married.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:32 AM

708 posts, read 823,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Exactly.

This thread is nonsense, both the article and the OP's views. While they might fit the definition, I don't consider a 20 year old a bachelor, nor should they be married at that age. The 70% stat is only used here to be dramatic.

As for the OP, he has obvious hang ups, but out in the real world, 20 year olds aren't choosing not to get married because of alimony. It's only the internet, blog, MRA followers that obsess about these things that have no relevance to their own lives, other than being weak and stupid excuses to hide their shortcomings behind.

What are the weak and stupid excuses they are using to hide their shortcomings?

Old 03-14-2015, 09:49 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,019,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I know people that spent around 5K on their wedding and people that spent over 50K. However, I don't know anyone that went into debt because of their wedding. The people that spent a lot of money had it to spend.
And how many of those same people purchased a home by FHA where they only had to invest 3.5% down rather than 20%?

Sure, they "had" the money in the bank to spend, but what did they take away from so they could spend it? Could that money have been better spent elsewhere to help build a sturdy financial foundation for the new marriage?

There are more ways than one to create the concept of debt.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:51 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,019,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFromSea View Post
Unless you have a religious belief about marriage, it just doesn't seem to be an advantageous thing to do any more. Every ones situation is different. I respect those who do and can make it work, it didn't work for me. There was a marriage tax penalty, our combined income was taxed at a higher rate than if we were single. Last time I looked, even though they claimed to have corrected the penalty issue, it still existed. You could look yourself, but really, that was a minor issue but major expense for us when we got married.
I also experienced this while married. Our joint incomes were right at that sweet spot of getting hosed by taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships