Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 02:30 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times

Advertisements

I do the FWB thing because I routinely work around 80 hours a week and so does my partner. Both of us tried traditional relationships despite being busy only to be dumped repeatedly due to not being able to put enough time into a traditional relationship.

I think you can avoid emotional entanglement if you have two persons with a certain personality/mindset. On the Myers-Briggs I'm an INTJ and my partner is an ENTJ, two NTJ's work perfectly together in a FWB relationship since we place logic ahead of emotions. Contrary to what some might believe, we are both not unemotional robots, we have emotions but know how to keep them under control. We have established boundaries in place to prevent things from getting too emotionally involved and it works. We don't just come over to each other's place & get down and that's it, we go out to eat, do things outdoors, etc. the same thing normal couples do. There is no drama or tension because there is no expectation of anything serious, we don't live together & don't have the stresses that go along with all of that. The sex is absolutely incredible too because things are so carefree.

FWB relationships can be great but only if both parties know how maintain one properly. They aren't for everyone, they can be torture for people with very emotional personality types. Hopefully everything I said makes sense here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 02:32 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
**** buddy.

Call it what it if you are not looking to have more or less than.
So basically your hung up on the semantics.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
In the OP's first thread about this guy, she stated that he told her up front that he was not interested in a relationship, but she thought she could change his mind.
Yeah... but sometimes, people say they don't really want a relationship, but do indicate an openness to one possibly developing in time. If they specifically wanted a FWB situation, I would NEVER assume a relationship may develop.

And if I wanted a relationship, I wouldn't have sex as a virgin with the guy who said he didn't want a relationship. I'd wait and see if he changed his mind about a relationship first. In the meantime, I'd just enjoy his friendship and such.

But, that's just me.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:46 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
It can be, but I think it varies from person to person. Sometimes one person wants a relationship, the other wants something casual, so they end up as FWB.

Other times both want relationships, however busy schedules and distance may prevent them from being in a relationship, so they decide for a FWB arrangement.

Some FWBs turn into relationships, others fizzle out and the two go on into different relationships.

Make sure you two are on the same page, if not then move on.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskandaisy View Post
I'm speaking more in terms of men, because from my observations, a "FWB" relationship is usually more favored by men.

I started thinking about the psychology behind it, and I'm wondering what are the motives that men have behind wanting this type of relationship. My thoughts are:

-Fear of commitment
-Fear of being hurt
-Fear of vulnerability
-Easy way out
-Not having to deal with emotions
-No strings attached sex

Does this type of relationship really provide meaning and fulfillment to either party? Has this type of relationship ever worked out evenly for both parties emotionally?

Everyone can live their life their own way, I just don't see the point in a friends with benefits type of relationship. I see true love, meaning, and value created only in traditional relationships.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are that if you don't want a FWB relationship, then don't have one. And only have a relationship with someone that also wants a relationship. And don't worry about what other people do. There are plenty of men out there that want a real relationship.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:10 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
So basically your hung up on the semantics.
Not at all

It's called calling a bird a bird and not blurring lines to fit indivual needs and keeping the truth of the matter as the heart of its cause.

Something a ton of people seem to get crossed lines with on this board when discussing friends/friendship/opposite sex relations is being freidnly is NOT the same as being a friend.

It's when you start flaking or changing on what defines something to fit your indivual situations and scenerios for whatever reason that you end up with the confusion that follows trying to figure out what was what and who was who.

Last edited by rego00123; 03-18-2015 at 04:30 PM..

Old 03-18-2015, 09:03 PM

432 posts, read 361,937 times
Quote:
I'm speaking more in terms of men, because from my observations, a "FWB" relationship is usually more favored by men.
Well it takes a male and a female to agree on a friends with benefits right...? So that means women favor it too.

Quote:
I started thinking about the psychology behind it, and I'm wondering what are the motives that men have behind wanting this type of relationship. My thoughts are:

-Fear of commitment
-Fear of being hurt
-Fear of vulnerability
-Easy way out
Those four are weak and needy.

Quote:
-Not having to deal with emotions
-No strings attached sex
These two would be my reasons and I would assume her reasons as well.

Quote:

Does this type of relationship really provide meaning and fulfillment to either party? Has this type of relationship ever worked out evenly for both parties emotionally?
Friends with benefits is meant to be strictly about sex. If both parties are happy on getting the sex they want, then it works.

Quote:

Everyone can live their life their own way, I just don't see the point in a friends with benefits type of relationship. I see true love, meaning, and value created only in traditional relationships.
Thoughts?
Random hook-ups and "values" are loosing their value nowadays. It's all about how "nice" men can be and how many likes a woman can get on her latest selfie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships