Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:40 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,758,934 times

Advertisements

I always thought no sex before marriage would be an immediate non-starter for me in a relationship.

I am a guy who lives in the USA. I recently returned from a vacation in Latin America where I met a really nice local girl randomly at a local sidewalk café. We had an immediate chemistry. I was only in her city for four days. We had a date every day I was there. We talked about me making a second trip in two months to come see her again.

Then on my last day in her city before I left I learned she does not believe in pre-marital sex. In her words, "It is not moral," to have sex before marriage. I immediately told her I had a different opinion and that pre-marital sex was pretty much standard practice in the USA for most people. It is also standard practice in her country, she just happens to come from a very religious/conservative family. I told her I might have an issue with it but that I still liked her. So we spent the last day together like we never had that conversation. We just had a nice date, walking, holding hands, kissing, etc.

Note: This is not a question about long distance relationships (LDR). We are both ok with the distance and are willing to live with the risks and rewards that come with that.

Anyway, despite her conservative views on this issue I can tell she is a passionate and romantic lover. Trust me on that one. She is not a virgin as she was married before (no kids though).

I have been back in the states for almost a week and I really feel like I need to give her a definitive answer. She wants me to come back to visit her. My rational self says cut this off now. She is great but this is a major lifestyle/difference of opinion. The other part of me wants to go see her again but that could just be a waste of time (for both of us).

Should I just break this off now or try to give it more time and visit her again? Have you ever dated someone with this view and how did you deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:45 AM

3,350 posts, read 2,833,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
I always thought no sex before marriage would be an immediate non-starter for me in a relationship.

I am a guy who lives in the USA. I recently returned from a vacation in Latin America where I met a really nice local girl randomly at a local sidewalk café. We had an immediate chemistry. I was only in her city for four days. We had a date every day I was there. We talked about me making a second trip in two months to come see her again.

Then on my last day in her city before I left I learned she does not believe in pre-marital sex. In her words, "It is not moral," to have sex before marriage. I immediately told her I had a different opinion and that pre-marital sex was pretty much standard practice in the USA for most people. It is also standard practice in her country, she just happens to come from a very religious/conservative family. I told her I might have an issue with it but that I still liked her. So we spent the last day together like we never had that conversation. We just had a nice date, walking, holding hands, kissing, etc.

Note: This is not a question about long distance relationships (LDR). We are both ok with the distance and are willing to live with the risks and rewards that come with that.

Anyway, despite her conservative views on this issue I can tell she is a passionate and romantic lover. Trust me on that one. She is not a virgin as she was married before (no kids though).

I have been back in the states for almost a week and I really feel like I need to give her a definitive answer. She wants me to come back to visit her. My rational self says cut this off now. She is great but this is a major lifestyle/difference of opinion. The other part of me wants to go see her again but that could just be a waste of time (for both of us).

Should I just break this off now or try to give it more time and visit her again? Have you ever dated someone with this view and how did you deal with it?
I think you let it go because it is bothering you so much

Old 03-19-2015, 07:45 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,211,343 times
Ultimately, it is really up to you. Why would you care if we would or wouldn't date this girl?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:46 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,966,863 times
No one can tell you what is right for you so read the words you just wrote then make the decision about your life and how you want to live it.

I have dated plenty of men like this and it was never a problem, we just did not have sex, no big deal and certainly not the most important part of a relationship.

Edited to add: You cannot possibly tell just by looking at someone that they are a "passionate" lover, that is your own mind creating wishes you hope are true.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Ultimately, it is really up to you. Why would you care if we would or wouldn't date this girl?
Yes, it is up to me. I guess I was just interested to hear what others have to say be it from personal experience or whatever.

I've got a good buddy whose opinion I sought. We think a lot alike and I expected him to say no way is that acceptable. But when I showed him her picture and told him how much we had clicked he said maybe it would be worth pursuing her or at least getting to know her better.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:52 AM

[quote=CSD610;38873508]

Edited to add: You cannot possibly tell just by looking at someone that they are a "passionate" lover, that is your own mind creating wishes you hope are true.[/quote]

We had some private moments in my hotel room that would suggest otherwise. In other words, no sexual intercourse but enough foreplay to indicate she is very passionate and intense in bed (in a good way).

Old 03-19-2015, 07:54 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,966,863 times
^^^
Okay, whatever you say.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:55 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,874,400 times
I think the bigger question here is not necessarily whether or not she is willing to have pre-marital sex, but is where do you really see this going.

Clearly you have found chemistry and interest in her. However, you both live a huge distance away, in different countries.

So whether or not she believes in pre-marital sex, do you really feel this is someone you would be willing to move to another country for if a relationship happens? Do you think she would be willing to do the same?

If you do think one of you would be willing to accept such a huge life change as moving away from everything to start a new life in a new country, then is ultimately marrying really that much more of a leap?

I think your answer is really in whether or not a relationship is even practical here.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:01 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,716,568 times
Quote:

Hey, each to their own, but I'm guessing she's Catholic so can she even get re-married if she's so moral and religious? Was there an annulment?

I guess we all have selective morality, but this selective sex morality is always a weird thing to me.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:11 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,211,343 times
Quote:
Yes, it is up to me. I guess I was just interested to hear what others have to say be it from personal experience or whatever.

I've got a good buddy whose opinion I sought. We think a lot alike and I expected him to say no way is that acceptable. But when I showed him her picture and told him how much we had clicked he said maybe it would be worth pursuing her or at least getting to know her better.
I hear Brazilians are okay with some sexual acts as long as it isn't vaginal, so no sex before marriage may not actually be no sex... Realistically though, due to distance and the no sex, you should move on unless you are wanting to get married.

I wouldn't go for it personally, but that's because there are women in my city that will give it up pretty easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships