Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 05:44 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

You know the song lyrics...."Don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do?"

or perhaps it is "Turning Japanese" with .......

"No sex, no drugs, no wine, no women
No fun, no sin, no you, no wonder it's dark ......"

I think it is already known on this site that when it comes to relationships, I'm not looking for sex. Well, looking over my most recent batch of matches, it got me thinking how dates might go over because I don't drink, either.

Don't drink as in outside the house. The reasons are generally three fold, one of them being I don't drink and drive, another similar legal reason, and then, a personal one. That last one being that I don't want to wake up the next morning, wondering if what I did last that was influenced by either released party energy or alcohol. If it was released party energy, that's okay, but things that may have been caused by alcohol can make me shake the morning after.

So, guys, tell me. What's the impression with a date that doesn't drink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 05:48 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I like to get my liquor on, so for me teetotaler won't cut mustard... but to each their own.....

Old 03-21-2015, 05:49 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
I think it'd be great. I don't drink either, and my father is a drunk, and my brother is heading in that direction as well. So I would prefer a date or SO that didn't drink. But finding that may be rare, so long as they don't drink much, like maybe socially and not everyday then cool. But as soon as I see "drunk" that'll be an automatic strike out.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:05 AM

15 posts, read 37,349 times
Not sure why it would matter to be honest. If you can only be fun person when you're drunk, then I'd say it's you more than the "goody two shoes" to be honest. If you can have lots of fun when you're not under the influence, then that is a person you want to be around, whether you're drunk or otherwise. Is there a high % of the population in Texas that drink a lot?

Old 03-21-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos1 View Post
........Is there a high % of the population in Texas that drink a lot?
I don't know, partially because I see the world from a different side of the coin. A and B. A: I am usually at the party because I drove to get there. When Mom was alive, she took me out to meals but I was her driver. In both cases, since my no drink/drive protocol is absolute when in effect, I am at meals, at parties, at eateries, see others have alcohol but I am there with my tonic or soda or ice tea.

Years ago, I was at a mixer for public safety divers with a free keg. One diver, I believe a fire department diver from CO perhaps, asked me what my story was since for the past two days, he didn't see me enjoying the beer. I told him my reasoning, he clasped me on the shoulders, looked me seriously in the eyes....and I don't think I saw him any closer for the rest of the conference.

B: I may be out with my belly dance friends and after the show, sitting around the table with them, them with their wine, me with my soda, but there it is a different reason. Being a night worker, it is often that while people are winding down from the day, I'm winding up.

In either case, I am often observing the world from my requirements not to be drinking.................while I see a world that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
I think it'd be great. I don't drink either, and my father is a drunk, and my brother is heading in that direction as well. So I would prefer a date or SO that didn't drink. But finding that may be rare, so long as they don't drink much, like maybe socially and not everyday then cool. But as soon as I see "drunk" that'll be an automatic strike out.
It's ..... interesting.

I grew up in a European ancestry family, so having wine daily at meals is common......and not the easiest habit to break. Add to it that it is a drinking world, there are influences all around, Scotty is forever telling us to drink scotch.

What does break it are the various protocols in effect. Eight hours between drink and drive, twelve hours between drink and dive. Some rules are stricter than others so the fight is less.

Further, I guess due to my background and what they say about wine, I've been able to drive my alcohol consumption entirely to wine and away from beer and hard liquor. Every time I think about stopping by the Class 6 store for a bottle of, usually, scotch, a little voice in me often pops up to remind me of all the wine at home, already bought, of how the wine is better, and that I'm chasing a fantasy for the taste in a small shot glass.

But, there are a few other things that kill the thirst. I find that after a full meal, I don't desire it. Further, Tom Baker/Lalla Ward Dr. Who and Charmed tend to lower my tension levels just enough so the thirst diminishes.

But not everything is perfect. While the structure of Charmed lowers the tension, the message to drink is still there with Piper buying wine, wine at meals. Many of my pasta sauces and fish stews are made with, especially since I don't have much of a drinking taste for it, various white wines. I'll occasionally experiment with cooking a brisket in a red wine.

So it goes both ways.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-21-2015 at 06:29 AM..

Old 03-21-2015, 07:32 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Why should one care that another doesn't drink? You can still have fun.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:05 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
I admire you.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:06 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Forget the drinking part, if you are not interested in romance/sex you are looking for FRIENDS not dates. Your going to **** off the guys if you are leading them on without stating that upfront.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-21-2015, 01:09 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Ok, this thread just got.....different.....

Ok, I'll play: The Penguin is an atrocious dinner guest, his hygiene is poor and Mrs Grantham is definitely a tea-totaler, but the old biddy is a hoot so I don't mind.

darnit I think think I have my Crawely's and Grantham's mixed up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-21-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Forget the drinking part, if you are not interested in romance/sex you are looking for FRIENDS not dates. Your going to **** off the guys if you are leading them on without stating that upfront.
Ahh, but it is rather stated upfront.......and further, this is something I still don't understand after 40 years or so.

Perhaps I am, well whatever, but I still seeing dating like with Major Nelson on "IDoJ"; you dress nicely, you meet them, you have a good time, you go home separately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships