Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:44 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,739,613 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know your opinion on this. I was at a very crowded and popular bar the other evening that typically can see upwards of 400-500 patrons spread out over a relatively large area. Of those 500 or so patrons, probably 400 or about 80% were men. Adjacent to where some of my buddies were hanging out were a group of 5 reasonably attractive women all in their early to mid 20's just hanging out with each-other and appearing to have a good time. They must have been hanging out their in the same spot for at-least 3 hours. However, the entire time I was there I did not see one dude come over and introduce themselves to these attractive women even though there were no other guys with them that night. Are a lot of men just afraid or hesitant to approach women in groups? I know plenty of guys complain that the bar/club scene in their respective city is a total "sausage-fest" But who are some of these dudes to complain when they don't even step outside their comfort zone to meet other women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 12:47 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Never approach a women who had more than 2-3 girlfriends with her. Great way to set yourself up for humiliation.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:47 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I'm curious to know your opinion on this. I was at a very crowded and popular bar the other evening that typically can see upwards of 400-500 patrons spread out over a relatively large area. Of those 500 or so patrons, probably 400 or about 80% were men. Adjacent to where some of my buddies were hanging out were a group of 5 reasonably attractive women all in their early to mid 20's just hanging out with each-other and appearing to have a good time. They must have been hanging out their in the same spot for at-least 3 hours. However, the entire time I was there I did not see one dude come over and introduce themselves to these attractive women even though there were no other guys with them that night. Are a lot of men just afraid or hesitant to approach women in groups? I know plenty of guys complain that the bar/club scene in their respective city is a total "sausage-fest" But who are some of these dudes to complain when they don't even step outside their comfort zone to meet other women.
This is a good question. A lot of women would like to know the answer to this question. I've seen this play out in a lot of contexts, not just bars/clubs. Going by some of the posts we've had on this topic in the past, I'd say a lot of men are intimidated by groups of women, i.e. they don't know how to approach a group if they're only interested in one particular woman. That's not all guys, though. And it doesn't explain why a couple of buddies wouldn't approach the women together.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Never approach a women who had more than 2-3 girlfriends with her. Great way to set yourself up for humiliation.
I have heard this a fair share of times. Why do you think this is the case? I am sure there are always exceptions, perhaps?

Old 03-21-2015, 12:55 PM

75 posts, read 90,022 times
You need a more or less equal number of guys or else whoever gets left out might ruin it for everyone. I had this happen once in a bar when I was 19 *ahem* I mean 22.

Some buddies and I were talking to a table of girls and one got left out. As things got to the point where we were all settling in and ordering another round, Oddwheela got a "headache" and demanded that the whole group leave. I even tried to calm the situation down a bit by saying I was friends with the barstaff (true) and could probably get her some Aspirin or whatever but she said she HAD to go lay down.

Other times, it's just overly intimidating to be outnumbered. If they giggle or whisper, you think it's about you. You feel like you have to impress them all even if you only want to talk to one of them. Etc.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:56 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I have heard this a fair share of times. Why do you think this is the case? I am sure there are always exceptions, perhaps?
Because they will very likely laugh at you like you are an absolute scrub not worthy of their friends attention once you leave. It is like in HS if you got in a fight with a smaller person and lost and all your boys are clowning you for losing.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
You feel like you have to impress them all even if you only want to talk to one
And that my friend is the crux of the matter!

Quote:
Because they will very likely laugh at you like you are an absolute scrub not worthy of their friends attention once you leave.
Fair enough and point understood. However, there has to be some dude out there with enough confidence to at-least risk some sort of rejection for a possible reward. (good conversation, phone no., etc.) I can't imagine that in a bar where dudes greatly outnumber women 4 to 1, that no one would have the courage to introduce themselves to a group of reasonably attractive women over a 3 hr. time-span.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:14 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,339,729 times
So, why didn't you and your buddies approach this group of women?

Old 03-21-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
So, why didn't you and your buddies approach this group of women?
I have a gf and was only interested in downing a few beers with a friend I had not seen in quite sometime. However, the other 4 guys in the group are single and it was funny as each person challenged the other to go and say something to the group of ladies. In the end all made convenient excuses and nothing happened.

Remember as well that this was a huge bar, with something like 400 guys in attendance. I couldn't believe no one said anything to these attractive women all night!

Last edited by santafe400; 03-21-2015 at 01:57 PM..

Old 03-21-2015, 09:02 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
I'm married now, so this may not be a deal breaker anymore. But in my single days, I wouldn't have lasted more than a few minutes in a club populated by 80% male patrons. I preferred places where women were more plentiful, not a 1 in 5 ratio. The U.S. is pretty evenly split between men and women, with a slight tilt toward women. This holds true in the vast majority of places across the U.S. If I walked into a place and saw that many men, I'd think I was in the wrong kind of place and wouldn't stick around. If a pack of beautiful women went "unnoticed" for that long in such a place, it would confirm my suspicions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships