U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:16 PM

2,816 posts, read 5,367,234 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of intelligent women who are attracted to "bad boys" in fiction (Gregory House, Sawyer from Lost, heck, even Tony Soprano) but I don't think any of them would marry or even date those characters in real life.

It's a bit like horror films. People are attracted to horror because it's a safe controlled environment. They can change channels or walk away and they know nothing is going to happen to them anyway, but no one really wants to be harrassed by a serial killer in real ife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 03:15 PM

4,562 posts, read 3,769,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
I know a lot of intelligent women who are attracted to "bad boys" in fiction (Gregory House, Sawyer from Lost, heck, even Tony Soprano) but I don't think any of them would marry or even date those characters in real life.

It's a bit like horror films. People are attracted to horror because it's a safe controlled environment. They can change channels or walk away and they know nothing is going to happen to them anyway, but no one really wants to be harrassed by a serial killer in real ife.
That's how I am. In a movie, I could like a bad boy. Some fiction, I liked the villains. lol But I wouldn't go for things in real life that I may find attractive in fiction. Need to be able to separate fiction from reality.

You watch the movie that has that stoic handsome man who is a softy at heart, but doesn't really show it. Cute. Try being in a relationship with someone where the emotional is an issue because a partner is repressed and/or withdrawn. It will probably annoy the hell out of you after you have been together a bit, and possibly lead to a split-up since they won't really open up and talking to them about serious matters may be a chore.

You like that arrogant ass, who is witty and never without a snappy comeback? Hot. In real life, when he acts better than you and throws that sharp tongue at you, you'll probably want nothing more to do with him.

Some stuff can be sexy in fiction. But real life is a whole different ballgame.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:44 PM

14,155 posts, read 11,582,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
That's how I am. In a movie, I could like a bad boy. Some fiction, I liked the villains. lol But I wouldn't go for things in real life that I may find attractive in fiction. Need to be able to separate fiction from reality.

You watch the movie that has that stoic handsome man who is a softy at heart, but doesn't really show it. Cute. Try being in a relationship with someone where the emotional is an issue because a partner is repressed and/or withdrawn. It will probably annoy the hell out of you after you have been together a bit, and possibly lead to a split-up since they won't really open up and talking to them about serious matters may be a chore.

You like that arrogant ass, who is witty and never without a snappy comeback? Hot. In real life, when he acts better than you and throws that sharp tongue at you, you'll probably want nothing more to do with him.

Some stuff can be sexy in fiction. But real life is a whole different ballgame.
Yes, having, often, is not nearly so pleasant a thing, as wanting. My fiance' and I were reminiscing about our younger hears, the other night. Wondering what kind of couple we would have made back then, in our 20s. I never thought of myself as a "bad boy", but I was running with an outlaw bunch, living on the sharp edge of things. She was running the mjstang life in those days to. We knew each other then. Its when we became friends. We weren't really intimate, in a sexual way, but we were drawn to each other, and shared some...adventures.

There are no secrets twixt us about that time in our lives. We were just wondering how we got out alive and in one piece. Lol. We like ourselves better as we are now. Its nice to have real feelings, and share them. To be open with each other and just be a sappy happy couple. No real regrets about our time in the jungle, nothing major anyway. It made us who we are. But we like ourselves and each other better now. We make a better team.than we would have when we were Bill Hickock and Belle Starr..

When we are young, the dangerous living was a lot more appealing. So, its not so hard to understand what a young woman could find attractive and desirab,le about a "bad boy". Same with a young man and a wild girl. Meh... enjoy it. And don't worry, the phase will pass.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:27 PM

10,494 posts, read 8,700,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I still like party girls. At least they enjoy life. I know some in their 70's and they are still having a great time.

Why wouldn't you trust a sorority girl?
I'm with you on that.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:54 PM

10,065 posts, read 13,955,197 times
The guys I know of, don't generally care what women think, serial cheaters, arrogant, 1 has a serious criminal record, both are handsome and charming.

One has a lot of money the other is flat broke.

Both come close to pathological liars.

Neither of them would care enough to post on CD or ask for dating advice. Their attitude is not too far off from " I don't give a sh*t "

Old 03-28-2015, 11:47 PM

369 posts, read 614,921 times
I don't think its so much that women want bad boys, as it is women don't want men who are needy, kiss their butts and are afraid to be dominant.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:50 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,996,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecollege View Post
if anyone here refers to himself as a "bad boy" i will die laughing.
lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detailsymbolizes View Post
ha! I think han solo's got him beat....

http://38.media.tumblr.com/b02dcbcab...he8vo1_500.gif

Old 03-29-2015, 12:02 AM

14,558 posts, read 10,699,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
If anyone here refers to himself as a "bad boy" I will die laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
lol.
Happens aaallll the time here, lol.....

Old 03-29-2015, 12:42 AM

14,790 posts, read 13,996,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Happens aaallll the time here, lol.....
yep... and I laugh each and every time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or