U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:29 AM

9,014 posts, read 8,277,859 times

Advertisements

I look at the titles of so many of these threads-
and it always shocks me how people over analyze & over complicate things.
With the so called advantage of the internet, why aren't people more satisfied w/ their love lives?
It seems like they're more disconnected than ever.
One thing's for sure-
I don't ever recall being so insecure about the opposite sex like so many are these days.
(Or at least possibly only in this forum)
I'm talking specifically about people in the earliest phases of relationships,
broadcasting every insecurity imaginable.
I just don't get it.
I've never, ever been that type....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:31 AM

35,325 posts, read 24,986,098 times
Well be thankful for that. I tend to overanalyze everything. In parts of my life (profession) it helps, in other parts, it hurts.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:54 AM

9,070 posts, read 14,962,185 times
I think the nature of this forum attracts threads from people who do have insecurities, or are overthinking the small things, which makes it appear as if there are far more people around with insecurities in their romantic lives than is really the case in real life.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:57 AM

9,041 posts, read 8,285,989 times
I think that the internet can be a curse in this respect. Too much information is available now, and unfortunately, too many people who aren't critical thinkers and can't discern legitimate and reputable sites from blogs which are merely opinions by Joe Nobody.

Prior to the internet, you turned to a peer or an older brother for advice on meeting girls, and then most figured it out, rather than sitting at home reading hours and hours of other people's experiences and paralyzing yourself from doing anything at all.

I recall back in school, cramming for an exam, and then at some point you just had to stop, and take your chances. I feel the same about dating.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:01 AM

9,070 posts, read 14,962,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I think that the internet can be a curse in this respect. Too much information is available now, and unfortunately, too many people who aren't critical thinkers and can't discern legitimate and reputable sites from blogs which are merely opinions by Joe Nobody.

Prior to the internet, you turned to a peer or an older brother for advice on meeting girls, and then most figured it out, rather than sitting at home reading hours and hours of other people's experiences and paralyzing yourself from doing anything at all.

I recall back in school, cramming for an exam, and then at some point you just had to stop, and take your chances. I feel the same about dating.
Or worse, people who are out to make a buck selling books/information full of utter manipulative garbage designed to "speak to" desperate people who are looking for answers and excuses for their own failures, and a comfy explanation which places the blame anywhere but on themselves.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:02 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,036,572 times
Quote:

Tried to rep you...but you know that drill. You are on point with this!!! This post should be in the Smithsonian or something

Old 03-24-2015, 09:04 AM

2,845 posts, read 1,802,406 times
Because they like excess drama in their lives? Because their lives are so empty/dull otherwise that they have nothing else to fill the void?

Old 03-24-2015, 09:08 AM

8,018 posts, read 6,565,437 times
Fear of failure and people want to get it right the first time. It's understandable.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 AM

2,845 posts, read 1,802,406 times
Quote:

I agree with everything you said. I'm astounded by the amount of threads on here "what does her text mean?" or "what's up with this guy?" I can kind of understand posts from younger people, but some of the posts here are from people that are old enough to know better. My guess is they are just seeking attention. By the time you're in your 30's, you should have this stuff figured out.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:14 AM

9,041 posts, read 8,285,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Fear of failure and people want to get it right the first time. It's understandable.
But that's crazy. You are not going to get anything right the first time you try it. Everything in life takes practice and experience. Why should dating be the exception?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or