Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:29 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I wonder what makes people write nasty messages though. I mean, if I was doing OLD and I saw someone I was interested in but I didn't fit their preferences, I might write to them anyway. BUT I would write to them and say that I knew that I didn't fit their preferences but that I was interested in them. And if they wanted to give me a chance - great! If not - I'd move on. But I wouldn't write a nasty message.
It's the internet. Keyboard warriors are everywhere. I mean, why do some people respond with nasty messages to posts they don't agree with on this forum when they could just as easily be ignored? Some sense of "I want the last word, so take THAT!" attitude, or whatever other psych factors are at play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:32 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
It's the internet. Keyboard warriors are everywhere. I mean, why do some people respond with nasty messages to posts they don't agree with on this forum when they could just as easily be ignored? Some sense of "I want the last word, so take THAT!" attitude, or whatever other psych factors are at play.
I think it's different. If I didn't fit someone's criteria, I still might have a chance if I put my best foot forward but I definitely wouldn't have a chance if I acted like a lunatic. On the forum - nothing really makes a difference. You can agree with someone or disagree with someone - at the end of the day, none of it matters. With OLD, you are looking for a relationship or a date or marriage - so there's something at stake.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:34 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
This is a forum for discussion. When I was on OLD I certainly didn't think it appropriate to tell someone what I thought of them, unless it was good.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-24-2015, 08:44 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
Maybe she is upset that I am a match for her but she is not a match for me. If she was of child bearing age and didn't have kids she probably would be. I'm never mean to women that message me. Meanest thing I'll do is ignore them like women ignore me.
Your experience is the male equivalent of what I Don't Date You got when she had a profile on OLD. She specified she wasn't looking for dads, but dads would contact her, and when she pointed out her main specification, they'd get angry at her.

Maybe for Montana, she's right; maybe you'll have trouble finding single women with no kids at that age. Geography does play a role in these things. I still think that if your business still takes you to CA occasionally, you should try to date there.

Didn't you say last year some time that you were almost 40, or had just turned 40?

Old 03-24-2015, 08:51 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I think it's different. If I didn't fit someone's criteria, I still might have a chance if I put my best foot forward but I definitely wouldn't have a chance if I acted like a lunatic. On the forum - nothing really makes a difference. You can agree with someone or disagree with someone - at the end of the day, none of it matters. With OLD, you are looking for a relationship or a date or marriage - so there's something at stake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
This is a forum for discussion. When I was on OLD I certainly didn't think it appropriate to tell someone what I thought of them, unless it was good.
I agree that it's not the same thing, but it's the same psychological factors at work. Dew notes that she "might still have a chance if (she puts her) best foot forward", but not everyone feels that way. They'll see a filtering criteria that they don't fit and immediately rule themselves out. At that point, the chance is already "gone" and they go into vilification mode. They don't see the message as an opportunity for the recipient to set aside their search criteria, they see it as a means to vent their frustration and maybe even try to make the person feel bad about having those preferences in the first place.

I use this forum as an example because you see the exact same psychology in place, just being utilized in a different medium. I'm not justifying it; it's certainly a stupid thing to do. But if you want the reasoning...that's what it is. I never thought it was appropriate either, but when feelings get hurt, some people don't care about what's appropriate.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,740 times
She sounds like a jerk, especially the part about most good women having children.

Having a child doesn't make you good. Not having a child doesn't make you bad. She's an idiot.

I do hope you don't have your Billy Zabka fan club photo on your profile though. That won't do you any favors.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:56 PM

783 posts, read 849,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I agree with that. I don't send a message to anyone unless I have something good to say. Even a thanks but no thanks is rude IMO.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:14 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,283,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
I agree with that. I don't send a message to anyone unless I have something good to say. Even a thanks but no thanks is rude IMO.
I'm actually okay with a thanks but no thanks. It at least acknowledges that I made a point to contact them. It takes all the questioning and guess work out of it. Also, I'm not the kind of guy that's going to bombard them with why they didn't want to communicate with me either.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:29 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
You would've thought that attitude went away after high school.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:34 PM

382 posts, read 824,988 times
I don't think you are that unreasonable. The age range is a bit off though. At 35, not many 20 something women will want to date you. My range has always been up to 5 years older than me and I don't know any women dating or married to men more than 7 yrs. older than them. It's just kind of unrealistic, and you may have to adjust your attractiveness requirements to compensate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships