Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 06:09 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

I remember this epic thread from the Parenting forum VERY well.

SAHM families - am I really expecting too much??

It's been going on THIS long. This is who he is. He's very SELF-centered, which is a bad trait in a parent.

You got some good advice in that thread. You should review it because you two need serious therapy. Think of what kind of anxious, resentful household your kids will be brought up in if it continues like this.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 03-28-2015 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: fix link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 06:28 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
This is another reason why I'm single, no man will ever tell me what I can and can't do.

I would of went to the class. (Take that ya jerk)

Old 03-28-2015, 06:40 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
What makes you think he would have changed with the second kid? He showed you what kind of dad he was with the first one. He's not going to change. You just have to deal with it.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:47 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Why on earth did you get pregnant again?
This was my first thought. I'll never understand women that are with men that treat them this way and then chose to stay and/or have more children with them. Did you expect different results this time around, OP? Of course you're not wrong for expecting some "me" time, but you're wrong for letting this man control you.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:53 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
I was married to that guy. I don't regret having a second child, but I regret what our divorce did to that second child. Both my children have abandonment issues and struggle with trying to get their dad's attention in a positive way. It's really sad.

One thing you don't say is that you love this man. How is that a good life?

Old 03-28-2015, 06:58 AM

860 posts, read 1,337,715 times
Don't know if your furniture is suitable given you're pregnant, but maybe you could sleep on the couch Friday nights or another bed so he isn't bothered? Now personally, it'd be him on the couch in my house, but since it sounds like your husband is a bit of a regular grouch, it'd probably be easier if you moved for the night. Won't solve the having to listen for his son thing but maybe the undisturbed sleep will make that bearable to him.

Frankly, though, it sounds like he's not happy that you're a SAHM and he has the burden of providing. Perhaps you could mention getting a part time job once your new baby is old enough to be taken to daycare or watched by a sitter. I think that's his main frustration that's creeping into everyday life now.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:02 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
I amend my previous post after reading the one from a few years ago. Neither of you have appreciation for what the other brings to the marriage or the family. Without real appreciation you both will continue in this downward spiral.

When is the last time you said, "Thank you" to your spouse? I know some, and likely the OP, will immediately think "Well, when is the last time he thanked her (me)?" That is the kind of selfish thinking that has landed the OP and her spouse in this situation. Sometimes one has to "be the change one wants to see."

Just as we act as role models for our children sometimes we need to be role models for our spouse.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:16 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I amend my previous post after reading the one from a few years ago. Neither of you have appreciation for what the other brings to the marriage or the family. Without real appreciation you both will continue in this downward spiral.

When is the last time you said, "Thank you" to your spouse? I know some, and likely the OP, will immediately think "Well, when is the last time he thanked her (me)?" That is the kind of selfish thinking that has landed the OP and her spouse in this situation. Sometimes one has to "be the change one wants to see."

Just as we act as role models for our children sometimes we need to be role models for our spouse.
This is the kind of "hard work" that many people don't realize makes up a huge part of keeping a marriage healthy.

Too many people are caught up in keeping score and in the "What have you done for me lately?" mindset to realize that they only control what THEY do.

But this particular scenario involves more than that, including a personality issue that can at least be addressed with therapy if not resolved.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:26 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Are you telling me you have no friends or family you can leave your little one with for a few hours? There are no "mom's day out" programs locally to watch your child for a few hours? Not even a neighbor, maybe an elderly lady in the neighborhood that could watch him/her? I don't think your husband is spoiled. He just needs a little time for RandR. He works all week and brings home all the funds you folks have to live on. Sounds to me he deserves some respect. Today, being a stay at home mom is a pretty easy gig. Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Keeper; 03-28-2015 at 09:05 AM..

Old 03-28-2015, 07:34 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
This has been going on for several years with no end in sight?? It's certainly not going to get any easier when another kid is added to the mix. Nevertheless, as an immediate solution to the Saturday issue, drop your son off with a sitter, or have a one come over early Saturday morning. If he isn't going to roll out of bed and watch his own dang kid for a few hours, then pay someone else to do it. Done.

The other thread was quite eye-opening, and disturbing. While we've only heard one side of the story, from the sound of it, you've got quite a dysfunctional situation on your hands. I can't imagine having to nag the Mr. into spending time with our kids; heck he offers to take over so I can go carousing.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 03-28-2015 at 07:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships