Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 03:32 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

What is up with all these couples than have barely known each other a minute spouting off "I love you" all over Facebook and everywhere else? Doesn't that take time? Like lots of time to fall in love with someone?

I am talking like they have been a couple for 2 months. The ex of the guy I hang out with, started dating this guy long distance 2-3 months ago and they spew "I love you" everywhere. My ex was engaged two weeks after meeting his most recent significant other.

Is this even normal? Is this fast moving relationship style doomed for failure by not letting things develop naturally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 03:44 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,065 times
Perhaps they feel as if things ARE "developing naturally" at that pace. They've put their guard down and thrown caution to the wind. When you have fallen in love you want to shout it from the rooftops! Or facebook...same thing. LOL.

Or maybe they are young and not yet cynical to know how fleeting it can be. I have a niece on facebook who announces to everyone that she's in a relationship with the best boyfriend in the world. It's a different guy every few weeks! But she is 15 so you just have to laugh.

Her heart will harden soon enough without my help.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:50 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Perhaps they feel as if things ARE "developing naturally" at that pace. They've put their guard down and thrown caution to the wind. When you have fallen in love you want to shout it from the rooftops! Or facebook...same thing. LOL.

Or maybe they are young and not yet cynical to know how fleeting it can be. I have a niece on facebook who announces to everyone that she's in a relationship with the best boyfriend in the world. It's a different guy every few weeks! But she is 15 so you just have to laugh.

Her heart will harden soon enough without my help.
I get 15 year olds acting that way. The couples I am referring to are mid to late 30's.

I have known my significant other most of my life and while I do love him, that is from watching him grow up and knowing him forever. That did not cultivate in 2 months.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:54 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I get 15 year olds acting that way. The couples I am referring to are mid to late 30's.

I have known my significant other most of my life and while I do love him, that is from watching him grow up and knowing him forever. That did not cultivate in 2 months.

Well, this is you, that's them. Is it me? Nope. Is it someone else? Yep.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:05 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Some people, regardless of age, are easily enamoured; that's all there is to it.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:08 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

Right. I know what you're saying. But you don't have to know someone for years to love them. It's easy to confuse infatuation with love. I've always struggled with that myself. But infatuation can lay the foundation for genuine mature love, so why knock it?

Old 03-31-2015, 04:50 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Let people express love if they want to.

It's a lot better than killing one another over nothing.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:54 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
But the second you guys wanted a "relationship" he was essentially sleeping over at your place pretty quick, and around your kids.
Slow moving relationships?
You have known him a while, but you have not been "dating" him that long, and said you don't really know where the relationship stands--if you're FWB or Official, and he just broke up with a previous SO not too long ago. Or has that changed and it's official now?

So you 2 moved fast in your "relationship" as well, the second you both decided to try one.

So as you can see, relationships move at different paces. it depends on the people, and what works for one couple may seem weird or odd to another. So, I wouldn't say it's doomed. It has as much chance as any other relationship.

Some couples get married after a few months, and are still together 20 years later. 1 couple dated for 5 years before marriage happened. Then some date a good bit, a wedding is planned, but the end up splitting. My brother and his ex moved steadily. They dated a good while, he eventually moved into her place where he stayed for some years. They planned a wedding, and ended up breaking up because he got tired of her and was talking to another girl.

It's like the old saying that you shouldn't have sex on a 1st date because guys will lose interest. That is very much possible. But if it's a good man, he'd still give you a shot and hang out more. Some women had sex on 1st dates, and said date ended up being their husband. lol

Last edited by HappyRain; 03-31-2015 at 05:04 AM..

Old 03-31-2015, 04:55 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Could be a fad thing, without much meaning. Same as the comment, "I love, love, love it!".

Old 03-31-2015, 05:27 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
It could be a spur of the moment thing. They don't always mean it.

My boyfriend said that he loves with me a few days, even though we've "known" each other for like a month.

In actuality, I knew the guy ever since we were kids. We were childhood friends (distant friends rather). It wasn't until a month ago where we thought we have feelings for each other. And now he's like "I love you". I can't say it as of yet, but I do have strong feelings for him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships