Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 01:08 PM

781 posts, read 744,190 times

Advertisements

I think you need a break from Facebook. Remember, people are generally only putting the good stuff on the site, not the bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 04:45 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Yea I'm doing school part time right now because of my job. In the summer, i have to take 6 week long classes(cram and dump). I can stay pretty busy lol. The other aspect to me being stuck in GA right now is that I may take over/continue a business once the owner retires. I need to stay pretty focused on what I'm trying to accomplish, but its hard when everyone around me is starting a family. At least I can still go out and have fun I guess
If everybody around you was smoking crack, would you feel pressure to smoke it too, in order to fit in?!

You need to firm up the plans on the possibility of taking over the business, talk that over with the present owner, figure out if that's really possible, what it will cost, etc. And is this opportunity worth being more or less planted where you are, because if it's a brick-and-mortar business, you will have to stay there with it for years, probably, before being able to sell on (if that's what you want to do).

Old 04-02-2015, 05:07 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If everybody around you was smoking crack, would you feel pressure to smoke it too, in order to fit in?!

You need to firm up the plans on the possibility of taking over the business, talk that over with the present owner, figure out if that's really possible, what it will cost, etc. And is this opportunity worth being more or less planted where you are, because if it's a brick-and-mortar business, you will have to stay there with it for years, probably, before being able to sell on (if that's what you want to do).
Just what I'd wanted to say, but you did a better job. Think twice before locking yourself into this location, OP. You could pick up some skills from this business, but market them elsewhere.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:59 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Oh Facebook.

I remember when it came out when I was in college. God, it was so cool. It was this awesome communication device that was mostly college students where we could make fun of each other's drunk pictures and send out invites for killer parties - you just friended that cute girl from class and included her in the invite hoping she'd come to your party.... and she showed! Score!

The day that Facebook began to suck: the day that our parents joined it. Now it's the equivalent of Christmas cards. I always hated Christmas cards - I never gave a damn about the unsolicited updates of other people's familial progression. Always so propagandistic and fake. That's what Facebook has become.

I recommend freezing your FB profile. I did it for a year a while back and it was a refreshing experience.

I recently got engaged. It got hundreds of likes and on my fiance's page she got twice as many. She just HAD to show the ring off. But don't let that bother you. I'm 32 and pretty much all my FB friends are already married with kids so I felt the same way as OP does for years. I remember thinking the same things.. that I'd failed at life somehow. That feeling is something in you that FB brings out, not truth. Happiness is an inside job - getting married will not solve that and is not an end in itself.

Last year my father died and I posted a heartfelt tribute to him with pictures and stories - it received at best 20% of the attention of the engagement announcement. Facebook is for people's propaganda now, not for anything genuine. If you put something "unexpected" or out of the ordinary people don't really know how to react.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:01 PM

OP, it's possible to live a fulfilling life without facebook, you know. Maybe that's a crazy thought, but it works for me.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:25 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, good grief!

OP, find the courage to be your own person. You don't need Dostoyevsky or Nietzsche for that.

Roll over, Beethoven, and tell Tchaikovsky the news!
Well, seriously the dude does not seem to be expressing much in the way of deep thoughts. If he hasn't any of his own, maybe some light reading would give him something to think about.

I consider it a distinct honor to be called out for recommending Dostoyevsky and Nietzsche. And I *am* turning it down from 12, I didn't recommend reading Dostoyevsky in the original Russian!

"I am a railing by a torrent - let he who can, grasp me!"

Old 04-03-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, seriously the dude does not seem to be expressing much in the way of deep thoughts. If he hasn't any of his own, maybe some light reading would give him something to think about.

I consider it a distinct honor to be called out for recommending Dostoyevsky and Nietzsche. And I *am* turning it down from 12, I didn't recommend reading Dostoyevsky in the original Russian!

"I am a railing by a torrent - let he who can, grasp me!"
Haha, hyuk, hyuk--"light reading". You're funny, Mitch. So you're from Russia, are you? I should have known.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:12 PM

356 posts, read 365,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
I'm noticing when I get on Facebook, and in real life, everyone I personally know is either engaged, just married, has a baby, or is buying a house(for the new family). Sure, there's a couple of single people I know but not many. I'm still single after several years unfortunately. I've done a lot of work to improve myself but nothing is happening. My friends and acquaintances are moving into a new chapter in life which involves a serious relationship or family. I'm unfortunately not. Every post i see on facebook is about a baby, or how much they love their SO. I'm honestly feeling like a failure and I voluntarily apologized to my mum for not giving her grandchildren. Who has been through/going through feeling like this?
Moving on to another stage in life...sucks but you have to move on too.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:59 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,289,233 times
If you are older than 30, then you need to drive your M3 into the lot, and upgrade to a M5, that's the problem, too many are looking at your car as being a midlife crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships