Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:12 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,208,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
How did so many people miss the point of this thread?
Haha, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:33 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,947,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
I'm noticing when I get on Facebook, and in real life, everyone I personally know is either engaged, just married, has a baby, or is buying a house(for the new family). Sure, there's a couple of single people I know but not many. I'm still single after several years unfortunately. I've done a lot of work to improve myself but nothing is happening. My friends and acquaintances are moving into a new chapter in life which involves a serious relationship or family. I'm unfortunately not. Every post i see on facebook is about a baby, or how much they love their SO. I'm honestly feeling like a failure and I voluntarily apologized to my mum for not giving her grandchildren. Who has been through/going through feeling like this?
Of all those people you see on Facebook, someone is being cheated on by his/her partner, someone is suffering from ppd after a baby, and someone else is up to his/her eyeballs in debt because of a new house.

Believe me, you are doing just peachy.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:54 PM

17,114 posts, read 56,751,259 times
Quote:
I'm noticing when I get on Facebook, and in real life, everyone I personally know is either engaged, just married, has a baby, or is buying a house(for the new family). Sure, there's a couple of single people I know but not many. I'm still single after several years fortunately. I've done a lot of work to improve myself but nothing is happening. My friends and acquaintances are moving into a new chapter in life which involves a serious relationship or family. I'm fortunately not. Every post i see on facebook is about a baby, or how much they love their SO. I'm somehow feeling like a failure and before I thought it through, I voluntarily apologized to my mum for not giving her grandchildren. Who has been through/going through feeling like this?
Fixed that for ya. You need to get married and have kids like you need another hole in your head.

Considered trading the M for a mini-van? Fancy having the gal you married cut her hair short, gain weight, dress frumpish, and in general make you think you were nuts to do this? Like the idea of being saddled with paying for a brat regardless if you get divorced or not?

Tell your mum you don't owe her any (bloody) grand-babies. You should have had your mouth cleaned out with carburetor cleaner for saying that. Tell her you will bring her a shrubbery, and she will have to be satisfied with that!

Keep calm and carry on!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:13 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,261,238 times
Quote:
+1... Sometimes I will be meeting at a bar with some friends and they bring their SO..... Annoying!
This is annoying, but it's the part about being single amongst a lot of people that aren't. Most of my friends don't do it on purpose. Their SOs want to get out as well and it's easier for a group of people to hang out together. The women have their conversations and the men have theirs. I go through ebs and flows with it. This past weekend my date wanted to go out, because both of our friends were out. It was nice to bring out a date with me, since all my friends were out with their SOs.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Fixed that for ya. You need to get married and have kids like you need another hole in your head.

Considered trading the M for a mini-van? Fancy having the gal you married cut her hair short, gain weight, dress frumpish, and in general make you think you were nuts to do this? Like the idea of being saddled with paying for a brat regardless if you get divorced or not?

Tell your mum you don't owe her any (bloody) grand-babies. You should have had your mouth cleaned out with carburetor cleaner for saying that. Tell her you will bring her a shrubbery, and she will have to be satisfied with that!

Keep calm and carry on!
Lmao Oh no I could NEVER get rid of the M!!! Haha I enjoyed reading your post!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:28 PM

102,062 posts, read 106,950,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaEllaElla View Post
It doesn't mean you're "behind" or they're "moving on". It's not about moving on, it's about growing up.

You shouldn't worry or feel pressured in any way. Do you and let things happen naturally. Life isn't a race (cliché, but true).
I don't agree with the bolded, and it seems to contradict the concluding comments to that post. (Feel free to clarify, if I've misconstrued that part.) Marriage doesn't mean you're "grown up". It's not a badge of maturity. Look at all the divorces that happen due to one partner being irresponsible with money, or lying and cheating, or just plain not ready for marriage. Having babies certainly isn't a sign of maturity, I don't think that point needs any elaboration.

The OP shouldn't feel that everyone around him has "grown up" except him. Being a grown-up is about how you handle responsibility. If you haven't met the right person yet, that shouldn't reflect on how "grown up" you are.

And just because everyone around you is getting married and some may be having kids, OP, doesn't mean they're making sound decisions. You've done the right thing for you, so far; you've kept yourself out of divorce court, and out of child-support-payments. You're being true to yourself, and harming no one by doing so. Keep on keepin' on. And don't undermine yourself by wishing you were someone else.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:36 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,384,494 times
Quote:
THIS is the problem! I feel like I'm not progressing or "growing up". Honestly, your post made me feel a tad worse, but whatever. Thanks anyway.
Are you really basing progressing or growing up based on that?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't agree with the bolded, and it seems to contradict the concluding comments to that post. (Feel free to clarify, if I've misconstrued that part.) Marriage doesn't mean you're "grown up". It's not a badge of maturity. Look at all the divorces that happen due to one partner being irresponsible with money, or lying and cheating, or just plain not ready for marriage. Having babies certainly isn't a sign of maturity, I don't think that point needs any elaboration.

The OP shouldn't feel that everyone around him has "grown up" except him. Being a grown-up is about how you handle responsibility. If you haven't met the right person yet, that shouldn't reflect on how "grown up" you are.

And just because everyone around you is getting married and some may be having kids, OP, doesn't mean they're making sound decisions. You've done the right thing for you, so far; you've kept yourself out of divorce court, and out of child-support-payments. You're being true to yourself, and harming no one by doing so. Keep on keepin' on. And don't undermine yourself by wishing you were someone else.
I agree to all of this!!! I really liked this! One of the best posts

Old 03-31-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Are you really basing progressing or growing up based on that?
Well not necessarily, I just feel left out.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:52 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,125,203 times
Everyone hits life's milstones at their own pace. I got married when I was 27, bought our first home at 38, had kids at 43. I always joke, I'm sending my kids to preschool and my friends are sending their kids to...rehab.

Don't sweat it, be yourself and it will all come together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships