Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:21 PM

67 posts, read 88,675 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone this is my first post here. I am having some problems with my parents. I met a lovely Colombian girl from Bogota 1 year ago while on vacation there. I am 26 white male and she is 22 and she is learning English even though I am fluent in Spanish so communication is not a problem for me. My parents think that it is not a good idea to marry a person from out of the country because they think she is using me. I have visited her 4 times in Colombia over the last year and she came to the states 1 time to visit me. I have always preferred Hispanic women over all other women so she is perfect for me but it is tough when my own parents don't support my choice. I am going to marry her within the year and bring her here once I get the fiance visa straightened out whether my parents approve or not. Do you guys have any suggestions to help my parents understand that they should not worry about her using me. I really don't know what to do about it?

Old 04-03-2015, 09:28 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Whoah whoah get engage and see how it goes. DON'T RUSH ANYTHING!

Old 04-03-2015, 09:33 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
You've only met with her 4 or 5 times and you're talking about marriage, you're family is correct to voice concern, their concern should be how fast things are going not so much her using you for a meal ticket to the USA... course, that could be a reason too, places like Columbia people are desperately poor, there isn't much of a middle class in a lot of south American countries, people either have money or are broke as hell and poor....... Slow your roll is the correct way of dealing with this.

This is assuming this is a real post.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
Hi everyone this is my first post here. I am having some problems with my parents. I met a lovely Colombian girl from Bogota 1 year ago while on vacation there. I am 26 white male and she is 22 and she is learning English even though I am fluent in Spanish so communication is not a problem for me. My parents think that it is not a good idea to marry a person from out of the country because they think she is using me. I have visited her 4 times in Colombia over the last year and she came to the states 1 time to visit me. I have always preferred Hispanic women over all other women so she is perfect for me but it is tough when my own parents don't support my choice. I am going to marry her within the year and bring her here once I get the fiance visa straightened out whether my parents approve or not. Do you guys have any suggestions to help my parents understand that they should not worry about her using me. I really don't know what to do about it?
Your parents may be right.

With that said, your parents are worried about it which suggests to me that they care about you, and you're just going to have to deal with it. On the other hand, you've stated that you're marrying the woman with or without their approval and since it will be your loss if they are right or your win if you are right, they're just going to have to deal with it.

[how long was your vacation?]

Old 04-03-2015, 09:42 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You've only met with her 4 or 5 times and you're talking about marriage, you're family is correct to voice concern, their concern should be how fast things are going not so much her using you for a meal ticket to the USA... course, that could be a reason too, places like Columbia people are desperately poor, there isn't much of a middle class in a lot of south American countries, people either have money or are broke as hell and poor....... Slow your roll is the correct way of dealing with this.

This is assuming this is a real post.

^^^ Yup.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:22 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
How was she able to come here to visit you? Is she from a high-end family, or does she have a high-level career? They don't give visas to just anyone.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:38 PM

609 posts, read 615,411 times
I'm willing to bet there's a 75% chance she's using you as a visa

Old 04-03-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Your parents may be right.

With that said, your parents are worried about it which suggests to me that they care about you, and you're just going to have to deal with it. On the other hand, you've stated that you're marrying the woman with or without their approval and since it will be your loss if they are right or your win if you are right, they're just going to have to deal with it.

[how long was your vacation?]
I was there for the whole month of February 2014 when I first met her. I visited her 4 times since for an average of 2 weeks each of those trips. We communicate all the time over Skype and whatsapp so we are always in contact. She is not poor as some have suggested because her family is middle class in Colombia. She is finishing her studies to be a vet technician and like I said she is learning English. Sometimes you have to follow your heart and that is what I am going to do. I get the whole parents are concerned bit but I wish they had more trust instead of being negative.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How was she able to come here to visit you? Is she from a high-end family, or does she have a high-level career? They don't give visas to just anyone.
She is of a middle class family in Bogota and she was able to get her tourist visa without any issues.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:43 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times
Quote:
I am going to marry her within the year and bring her here once I get the fiance visa straightened out whether my parents approve or not. Do you guys have any suggestions to help my parents understand that they should not worry about her using me. I really don't know what to do about it?
Well, if his post is real, suggest that your parents look up the biography of Jeb Bush. Very similar story that ended well for him... Of course there are no guarantees...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships