Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:41 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,859,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Once the love blinders are off, all the flaws are laid bare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17;
Yep.

Looking back, my most recent ex was a extremely selfish, self-centered person. She was fun to be around, at times, but holy crap I made a few big mistakes waiting around for her to grow the hell up.
That's not the issue here, though. She went through a major personality change, due to a death in the family. It's not about him suddenly noticing qualities that had been there all along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 09:48 AM

780 posts, read 677,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Dude, it sounds like she hasn't been able to move past the grief over losing her mom. That's really young to lose a parent. Have a heart, man. It's kinda cold to just write her off as some loser, when it seems pretty obvious that she's fallen into depression due to the personal loss. If you were a friend, you could've asked her if she was ok, and suggested she get some grief counseling, or something.

This isn't about people going through changes in their 20's, like a normal thing. This is someone who's fallen into a serious funk, and can't get out. Somebody needs to offer them a leg up. How's her dad dealing with the loss? Maybe they're both depressed, and are feeding each other's depression.
Exactly what I was thinking as well.

But, to answer the actual question, aside from the back story of what your ex is going through (which isn't a fair judgment of who she is due to the circumstances)...

No, I wouldn't wonder. I am proud to have my ex as an ex, meaning I'm proud of his accomplishments in life now. He was in a rut and us being together, we got him out. He is doing so much better in life now and I am proud of him. I was there for him, brought him back up when he was in the gutter, when he was feeling hopeless (failing classes and on depression meds and all), unfortunately it wasn't reciprocated. The only "regret" I can have is I should have walked-away earlier.

If we are both single now and he asked me back, I still wouldn't date him, not because I think he's a "loser". In a way, I think he's actually a great catch. Who ever he ends up with is lucky...if she is willing to put up with his one specific trait that I couldn't. My ex and I not compatible. We have different values on a certain topic and it took a toll on us, that's why it ended and that is that.

I hope you realize that who you date is a reflection of who you are, in one way or the other.

So if you think that you dated a "loser", what does that say about who you were?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:55 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,634,397 times
Quote:
That's not the issue here, though. She went through a major personality change, due to a death in the family. It's not about him suddenly noticing qualities that had been there all along.
I was just answering the thread title hahaha

Old 04-06-2015, 10:02 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,394,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Have you ever felt this way when meeting an ex you haven't seen in awhile?
Who hasn't?

Old 04-06-2015, 11:31 AM

35,043 posts, read 31,233,730 times
Quote:
Dude, it sounds like she hasn't been able to move past the grief over losing her mom. That's really young to lose a parent. Have a heart, man. It's kinda cold to just write her off as some loser, when it seems pretty obvious that she's fallen into depression due to the personal loss. If you were a friend, you could've asked her if she was ok, and suggested she get some grief counseling, or something.

This isn't about people going through changes in their 20's, like a normal thing. This is someone who's fallen into a serious funk, and can't get out. Somebody needs to offer them a leg up. How's her dad dealing with the loss? Maybe they're both depressed, and are feeding each other's depression.
Her dad has never been around to my knowledge. The thing is - it's been two years and it's like she's just completely stopped living life.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:57 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,299,166 times
My three ex's now I wish I never met. Two of them cheated on me and my recent one dumped me to go back to her ex husband that cheated on her. Dating sucks. Whatever

Old 04-06-2015, 12:00 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
Yeah.
One really blimped out.
The other is still ridiculous but she's found someone else to go on that ride.
The last two are still OK.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:00 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times
Can't recall doing this. I always knew what I saw in them, even though I wouldn't be attracted to them now as our paths diverged.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:03 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,732,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Her dad has never been around to my knowledge. The thing is - it's been two years and it's like she's just completely stopped living life.
Personal grief does not have a timeline just because you think it should.

If her dad has never been around, that means her entire parental support system is gone and she is probably questioning, "Where do I go from here? Who do I even belong to anymore?"

I met my fiance a couple of years after his two week old son passed.... It's been about six years since it happened.... and there are times when he still isn't okay and cries about the life that was lost. Grief just isn't a uniform thing where you should "be over it" by X years.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:01 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,294,652 times
I did with an ex, unlike the case of OP. We were each other's first love when we broke off, happened to meet some years later, went out few times and I knew he wanted to get back together. I wasn't sure about it until one day while having dinner, he tried to convince me by telling what a good catch he is, good looking, great career, got a car now, successful and all. Sure he is all that, but then I realized things changed and wondered what I saw in this boastful man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships