Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 11:33 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,272,331 times

Advertisements

Belovenow, you have a good post/theory. But don't get me wrong, I'm nor blaming divorced people for my life. I'm just simply saying that its not taken seriously enough and in return, people don't take relationships seriously enough.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:35 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I can't say I ever met anyone that took going through a divorce as a non serious thing. It was devastating to each and every one of them.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:44 AM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
If you're going to do something so draconian, why not just assign everyone a partner and be done with it? Everyone gets assigned someone within a certain age group. You are not allowed to change partners ever.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:46 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Vowing "til death do you part" is not a legal requirement of marriage, by the way.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:47 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Marriage license should be like a driver's license. Expires a certain time and requires renewal.

We should advocate for making marriage license only last 10 years so that when the time is up, couples can decide to renew their marriage or leave on their own accord.

We know that 50% of marriages don't work out, so why force people to stay together when they can be better off elsewhere.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:48 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
"Till death do us part". This is the responsibility of the parties getting married. So choose accordingly. That's the whole point of marriage. " people change, and things happen"? So you're pretty much saying that "although I got married to this person to be with them forever, Ive become bored with them so I'm moving on"....you're proving my point for me.

I see what you're saying, but again, it is the responsibility of the spouses to screen future abusive relationships BEFORE marriage... So then why are people still married since 40, even 50 years ago? Because they took their union and vows SERIOUSLY. Unlike nowadays. No one is capable of working out the problems

A common mis conception is that people who get divorced didn't work on their problems. Many people go through extensive counseling, compromise and many other things, until they realize it just isn't going to work. Another common mis conception is that people married in the good old days took didn't divorce because they took their vows seriously...eh not really. Divorces were harder to get, and if you did get one you were shamed for getting one, and they also had nowhere else to go if they did get a divorce. They weren't happy just stuck.

Divorce should never be illegal. And why a person divorces should be no one's business but their own. And even if every divorce ended because of something flimsy, that has no effect on the people who truly love each other and will stay married. No one in a happy fullfilled loving marriage is one bit concerned about divorces, and single people shouldn't be either. When it comes to relationships, you can do all the background checks you want, and check all the boxes, and make sure everything comes back perfect, and you will still have issues. I seriously doubt anyone got married thinking, this is cool, wonder how long before we get divorced? I'm sure they went in it thinking it will last forever. But unfortunately circumstances said otherwise.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:51 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Really, I feel like the best reply to this thread would be to bust out the world's smallest violin.

The solution to dating problems is being better at the social nuances of dating and romance, and not altering civil marriage law.

Can we stop blaming the actions of other people for our own shortcomings yet? Changing laws to further control the actions of others STILL does not fix our own shortcomings.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Vowing "til death do you part" is not a legal requirement of marriage, by the way.
Obviously.... I'm speaking in terms of symbolism.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Really, I feel like the best reply to this thread would be to bust out the world's smallest violin.

The solution to dating problems is being better at the social nuances of dating and romance, and not altering civil marriage law.

Can we stop blaming the actions of other people for our own shortcomings yet? Changing laws to further control the actions of others STILL does not fix our own shortcomings.
Yea you're picking my original posting apart. You most likely didn't read some of my other points in it.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:56 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
If divorce were illegal, that would just mean more people would avoid marriage, or marry but then split up without legally divorcing, or perhaps marry and then hire a hitman. It would not magically assure that people would choose their partner wisely. It would not put new baggage free people into the dating pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships