Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbeauty30 View Post
I feel that when people get married they become one. Therefore, there should be no my money and his/her money but our money. Get joint accounts, you are no longer me but us.
That sounds all warm and fuzzy but, in real life, there are many reasons to keep assets (and income is an asset) separate -

BTW, ever hear of a "pre nuptial" agreement? (the legal term is "ante nuptial" agreement)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 04:06 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJG
I think once you get married all accounts should become joint with both the husband and wife keeping an eye on the finances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Why would you suggest that? Particularily when you don't know the individuals, don't know their desires, don't know their families - etc
If you don't know those things about the person, what are you doing getting married?

Old 01-16-2008, 04:07 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I think he liked the controlling aspect more than anything.
Now that is the heart of the issue right there, money for a lot of people is about power and control over another person in a relationship. One odd twist was when I was married he kept trying to ge me to quit my job and be totally financially dependent on him. It was the old "barefoot and pregnant" thing becuase then i was at his mercy, he also made all the decisions about how money was spent. He got furious when I made the decision to get my own income because that meant he could no longer pull the strings. I left the marriage eventually but money was all about control with him.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
If you don't know those things about the person, what are you doing getting married?
Please - my response was to a poster who made an absolute statement as to what a married couple should do - and that poster does not know the couple

Old 01-16-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
BTW - I do weddings in Las Vegas - I can guarantee you that some couples getting married have No clue about the other person! Heck, they met them an hour ago!!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:16 PM

384 posts, read 1,709,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
What do you guys think about this? Is it a good idea to keep the finances separate? Both have separate accounts for everything but both contribute to a emergency savings?
No I don't believe it is good to keep your finances separate...however, i do believe that each man or woman in a relationship should have an account of his or her own that the other doesn't know about...for extra protection. Too often I've seen one partner or the other clean out the bank account before the other individual knows what's happening and that person is left bone dry.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
No I don't believe it is good to keep your finances separate...however, i do believe that each man or woman in a relationship should have an account of his or her own that the other doesn't know about...for extra protection. Too often I've seen one partner or the other clean out the bank account before the other individual knows what's happening and that person is left bone dry.
Let me ask you this:

I have seen situations where one, or both, spouses do what you suggest - and then one dies. The other has no money now.

What would you suggest?

Old 01-16-2008, 04:28 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
Maybe he's one of those thinkers? I used to do some of that a few years ago.

Regarding the initial question though, I can't imagine not sharing my finances with my spouse (... where art thou?). I spose I can't elaborate since I have no experience in either possibilities but I just kind of figured that I'd marry someone who I trusted my money with. As in she wouldn't blow her money on shoes and my money on clothes. Ba bum tch.
Exactly right, must think in the future if you want to get ahead of the game.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:38 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
BTW - I do weddings in Las Vegas - I can guarantee you that some couples getting married have No clue about the other person! Heck, they met them an hour ago!!
Under those circumstances I wouldn't even tell the other person which pocket I kept my wallet in, and I would take off my watch and hide it.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 PM

384 posts, read 1,709,451 times
Quote:
Let me ask you this:

I have seen situations where one, or both, spouses do what you suggest - and then one dies. The other has no money now.

What would you suggest?
IF they were both keeping an account for his or herself (in trust of someone in case of death of course...we know that you should never have your name alone in a bank account, but in trust of ensures your beneficiary gets the money)...now back to what i was saying if they both had an account of his or her own why would one be broke if the other dies?
Keep in mind now that you can always have an account that's in trust of your spouse's name.........he or she just wouldn't know about it in case you need that cash to fall back on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships