Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 04:59 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,995,776 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I have never taken and compared results of the test, although I have taken it before for professional reasons. I cannot off the top of my head remember the results, but I know I score as very introverted. My wife is more towards the middle of the spectrum, as she can be extroverted at times when in social environments and does seem to thrive in them (where they fatigue me). However, she also can be introverted and prefer quiet solitary time (or small crowds) too.

Either way, our personality differences are pronounced at times but also very complimentary. We both consider those differences and complimentary nature of them a great strength in our relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 06:03 AM

229 posts, read 244,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm an extrovert and generally prefer other extroverts, although I can't imagine asking someone to take a personality test. Just meeting for coffee and chatting IM tells me enough to make a decision about a next date. If we get along and have good conversation and I find him attractive, I'll date him again.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I am not talking about doing this on the first few dates... but within the first month or two

Old 04-10-2015, 10:39 AM

50,695 posts, read 36,389,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezwacks View Post
Oh, don't get me wrong, I am not talking about doing this on the first few dates... but within the first month or two
So if you were getting along good for a month or two, why bother with the test? If you both like each other, you're willing to stop seeing them because a test says your personalities aren't compatable?

Old 04-10-2015, 11:07 AM

11,393 posts, read 24,436,628 times
My husband is more of an introvert than I am. Fortunately, we typically need the same amount of down time/alone time and always agree when it's time to go home from a party.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:20 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,149,516 times
I don't even know what I am on the Myers-Briggs. I took it in 2007 and have no recollection of the results. I think my husband mentioned what "type" he is at some point, but I don't recall exactly. That's how important the test is to me.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:34 AM

718 posts, read 615,459 times
Isn't this like the 10932039403432 thread about these personality types within the past week?

Anyhow, I think those tests need to be taken with a grain of salt. People change, mature and experience. I remember at one point I was an INTP, and three years later, when I retook the test, I came up as a ENTJ. I'm sure in another 5 years it will be different.

However, it is true that the 'opposites attract' myth is the farthest thing from the truth. Opposites may attract, but they will most certainly not stick.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:30 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,787,408 times
Problem is, there is a degree of which one fits the specific category. I am a moderate Introvert, moderate inuitive, very strong thinking and moderate judgement. I am a complete extrovert to people I know, but in crowds or parties with people I don't know, I'm an introvert. People who know me have no idea that I'm an introvert when it comes to parties or crowds where I don't know anyone.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
The thing is, introversion and extroversion have less to do with how outgoing and/ or comfortable one is in various social settings, and more to do with whether or not one is more energized by time spent around others, or by alone time. I'm an outgoing person, but find my solo time far more restorative.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:36 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,925,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The thing is, introversion and extroversion have less to do with how outgoing and/ or comfortable one is in various social settings, and more to do with whether or not one is more energized by time spent around others, or by alone time. I'm an outgoing person, but find my solo time far more restorative.

True, people mess this up a lot. I'm very introverted, but can be very outgoing when I put my mind to it.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:37 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,364,413 times
All of my previous SOs (post-first marriage) knew their MBTI. I mesh well with INT/Fs. All of said SOs have either been INFP or INTP.

I get INFP as my personality type 90% of the time. My husband is the same. The other 10% is INTP. My first husband is ISFP. I only dated one guy who is an extrovert, ENFJ. Apart from that one guy I didn't mesh well or seek out/date extroverts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships