Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a man who is a bad dancer, dance anyway in the eyes of a woman he is interested in?
Yes - the effort counts more 15 68.18%
No - bad dancing is too much of a turnoff, he's best to not bother 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 07:20 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
Women (in general) love to dance, and seem to like a man who can dance. At least my wife does. I've become an OK dancer but nothing great.

Poll time.

If a guy is just an absolutely horrible dancer, but he dances anyway, is it a positive in that he's making the effort and putting himself out there, or does him being a bad dancer turn you off to the point it overrides any benefit from him putting himself out there?
Have you taken a few lessons, OP? You don't have to dance like the Dancing With The Stars people, you only need to know the basic steps, which are easy. A couple more lessons, and you can add some extras. Before you know it, you'll be having fun! Unless you don't have an ear for music and rhythm. If you don't enjoy the music, it's hard to get into the flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 06:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
It would bother me if he wouldn't dance at all, but being "bad" at it wouldn't bother me. Loosen up, don't take it too seriously, and the moves will come. Look at it as a vertical dry hump set to music

Old 04-17-2015, 10:44 AM

403 posts, read 597,539 times
LOL seriously who cares. Most guys are bad dancers anyways. That's very low on my list, right above if he wears boxers or briefs.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:35 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,528 times
I think it depends on the dance. Slow dance, he absolutely should.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:33 PM

158 posts, read 143,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Have you taken a few lessons, OP? You don't have to dance like the Dancing With The Stars people, you only need to know the basic steps, which are easy. A couple more lessons, and you can add some extras. Before you know it, you'll be having fun! Unless you don't have an ear for music and rhythm. If you don't enjoy the music, it's hard to get into the flow.
This. Don't drop by much here anymore. Have been in a ballroom frenzy for about the last two years.

There is always more to learn and that is one of the things that appeals to me. Each party between 15-20 different kinds of dances might be done.

Most everyone is very friendly and accommodating to beginners. Anyone male or female that either avoids or is arrogant to newcomers really isn't worth fretting over.

Out of many ladies I have encountered over the last two years there is one and only one lady that I never will ask to dance again and it is due in essence to arrogance on her part.

Find a good venue and go forth and have fun!

Old 04-17-2015, 01:43 PM

287 posts, read 362,977 times
I can't dance at all. I'm tone deaf and can't pick up on a beat. I'm very self conscious about how bad I look on a dance floor. Any woman that would subject me to doing something that I hate that much is just selfish. My current wife understands this, my ex didn't. I'll do a lot of things I don't like for a woman, I'll compromise whenever possible, but not on this.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone Read View Post
I can't dance at all. I'm tone deaf and can't pick up on a beat. I'm very self conscious about how bad I look on a dance floor. Any woman that would subject me to doing something that I hate that much is just selfish. My current wife understands this, my ex didn't. I'll do a lot of things I don't like for a woman, I'll compromise whenever possible, but not on this.
This is fair. If you're musically challenged, it won't work. Women should be understanding of that. Play to your strengths. And if dancing for some woman is really important, then she can move on and find someone who's able to accommodate that, at the least.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGPA View Post
This. Don't drop by much here anymore. Have been in a ballroom frenzy for about the last two years.

There is always more to learn and that is one of the things that appeals to me. Each party between 15-20 different kinds of dances might be done.

Most everyone is very friendly and accommodating to beginners. Anyone male or female that either avoids or is arrogant to newcomers really isn't worth fretting over.

Out of many ladies I have encountered over the last two years there is one and only one lady that I never will ask to dance again and it is due in essence to arrogance on her part.

Find a good venue and go forth and have fun!
And there's not only ballroom. There's salsa/Latin dance, folk dance and more. The OP could try different genres, and see which music moves him more. OP, these venues usually offer free lessons an hour before the dancing begins.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
Aw, but you could still have fun with it if you wanted to! I have no rhythm either, so I feel your pain. You ever see that Sun Drop soda commercial, the one with the chick dancing to "Drop It Like It's Hot"? Yeah, that pretty much sums up my moves and I know how foolish it looks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone Read View Post

Old 04-17-2015, 06:29 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewme18 View Post
LOL seriously who cares. Most guys are bad dancers anyways. That's very low on my list, right above if he wears boxers or briefs.
In my experience, men and women are about equal on this. I do a lot of dancing but it's not a deal breaker if a man doesn't dance--it's low on my list of priorities for a relationship really and I have no problem if we have some separate activities. What is a turnoff though is when a man is a bad dancer and doesn't like to dance but he gets out there anyway, just to meet women--it's so much more enjoyable to dance with a partner who enjoys what he's doing and guys who enjoy it do get better. Usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships