Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:39 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
I dont know. I think of myself as a strong person. I just dont know if I have it in me to start the life again as mom of 2 young children.
Am I happy? No.
But what is the guarantee that I will be happy when I am single?
My wife is an incredibly strong woman. She found herself pregnant and married to a Narcissist who had been hammering her for so long with controlling, passive aggressive behaviors such as those your husband is doing (and was doing last year in your "passing clouds" thread) that she honestly believed she was the controlling spouse and the problem. She just kept buckling down, doing more, taking on more, letting him have his way more, and receiving increasing amounts of emotional abuse for her efforts to try and make things work.

If you were talking to her now, she would tell you she was more miserable than she even realized at the time (and she knew she was miserable). She would say she was incredibly confused and not thinking straight by his manipulative tactics (the controlling tactics are employed to keep you confused and push you further into submission and acceptance). She was afraid to take action too, for fear of change and the future. Then, when she finally stood up for herself, left him, and filed for divorce, she would say it was one of the best decision she has made in her life!

Your not happy, and life is awfully short for that. Lots of people are single with two kids, and even if they have a lot of work on their plate in that situation, life is generally happier without having your emotions toyed with so you submit to the will of your spouse. So no, there is not a guarantee, but the odds are in your favor. Heavily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 11:39 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So guaranteed unhappiness vs. possibility of unhappiness and possibility of happiness

Hmmmn, tough choice!
Indeed it is. your sarcasm aside, what is the guarantee that he will not get more sensible in future? Its possible (though the possibility is slim) he will change. I like to believe so.

It maybe extremely easy choice for you to make. But I am not you. When I married him, I did not love him. I mean, I did not know him, let alone love him. But over a period of time I did fall in love with him. We built our lives togetehr, made some memories, fought, made a baby (one still going on), made plans on what we want after retirement and so many things.
I left everything that I had behind (friends/family/job) and moved across continents with 2 bags in hand to live with him, be his wife and love him. So, for me to think that it was all for nothing (after 8 years of being married) is really tough. So, yes, for me its a tough choice.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:41 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Quote:
Indeed it is. your sarcasm aside, what is the guarantee that he will not get more sensible in future? Its possible (though the possibility is slim) he will change. I like to believe so.

It maybe extremely easy choice for you to make. But I am not you. When I married him, I did not love him. I mean, I did not know him, let alone love him. But over a period of time I did fall in love with him. We built our lives togetehr, made some memories, fought, made a baby (one still going on), made plans on what we want after retirement and so many things.
I left everything that I had behind (friends/family/job) and moved across continents with 2 bags in hand to live with him, be his wife and love him. So, for me to think that it was all for nothing (after 8 years of being married) is really tough. So, yes, for me its a tough choice.
Speak to your counselor about all his behaviors and see if that counselor thinks he is on the brink of a change. Also, do some research on Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I bet he fits it very well.

Zebras do not change their stripes. Usually, controlling and emotionally abusive spouses don't either... especially when the other spouse just tows the line and enables their behavior.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:42 AM

606 posts, read 903,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Those of you that are saying this is normal and acceptable must not have kids yet. You have no idea how much work it is taking care of 2 babies. Besides, I want to be home with them. My days (nights) at the bar are behind me for the most part.
We have kids. I have a set of twins in there so I know what it's like to have 2 babies at one time. I still think it's fine for a husband (and a wife) to have time with friends. My husband doesn't go out much anymore but I wouldn't have a problem if he did. He would have come home first and helped get the kids down for the night and THEN gone out, but I still think it's fine.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:42 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
You don't even know him. What reason do you have to be optimistic for that?

Any reason? I'd like to believe I'm going to hit the lottery too, but I'm sane (errr, almost).

Do what you will, but IMO, if after 8 years of marriage and having a kid with another coming, if he doesn't really want to spend time with you and make a warm, cuddling, loving family life... it isn't going to happen in year 9, or year 10, or year 15.

I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:47 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
I dont know. I think of myself as a strong person. I just dont know if I have it in me to start the life again as mom of 2 young children.
Am I happy? No.
But what is the guarantee that I will be happy when I am single?
The point about taking the steps to become single again is, a) You'll at least be less miserable than you are now, and b) you'll have the option of finding a better husband and father of your kids.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:49 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
We have 3 kids, and my husband is an awesome dad who spends tons of time with them every day. That's why I'm not bothered by it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
My kids were born 5 years ago and I can probably count the number of times I've been out with friends since they arrived. I used to go out for happy hour every Friday, that's over with. It's not because my wife forbids it, either. I wouldn't leave her home to take care of 2 infants/toddlers on her own. Now that they're 5 they're easier to care for so I do get out now and then but pre 4-5?

Those of you that are saying this is normal and acceptable must not have kids yet. You have no idea how much work it is taking care of 2 babies. Besides, I want to be home with them. My days (nights) at the bar are behind me for the most part.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Speak to your counselor about all his behaviors and see if that counselor thinks he is on the brink of a change. Also, do some research on Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I bet he fits it very well.

Zebras do not change their stripes. Usually, controlling and emotionally abusive spouses don't either... especially when the other spouse just tows the line and enables their behavior.
Oh she doesnt think he will change. She says that I have to make a choice. If I want to live with him, learn the techniques to live with a person like him. If I want to leave him, she will help me cope with separation. Ultimately she insisted I have a choice. For the longest time, I simply couldnt believe that I do have a choice. I guess its more to do with the surroundings and upbringing. Now, I am starting to believe that I can leave this when ever I want to; that I have some sort of control over this.

Just I dont want to apply for divorce this year.

Also, my religion plays mind games with me all the time. I have always believed in the concept of karma. And now I am thinking maybe I did something bad to someone and its appropriate that I suffer the consequences.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:53 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
oh no no, I am not Muslim. And I also am highly educated and hold a successful job. My parents know about the situation at home. They said that **** happens but they sure could not have predicted this to happen. They support me with whatever decision I take.

What country do you live?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-29-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The point about taking the steps to become single again is, a) You'll at least be less miserable than you are now, and b) you'll have the option of finding a better husband and father of your kids.
Yes, I am slowly (with the help of my counselor) starting to believe that I dont have to stay in a relationship that makes me sad. Actually, what I find is, for a lot of people the choice is obviously simple. I wonder why its so hard for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships