Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 10:39 AM

971 posts, read 688,418 times

Advertisements

I know you wanted women's responses, but as an IT guy, I thought I would chime in. I work for one of the "Big Three" Telecom companies as a Network Engineer. I myself, nor any of my "geek" buddies have ANY problem finding a date. Quite the opposite. When women see the company name on the uniform shirt, it actually works as an attractant in itself, as we are known to be very well paid and women looking for someone stable often approach us. I have had more than one woman approach me at a bar and say ohhhh, I see you work for "X" you guys make really good money, don't you? Instant red flag.

I never discuss work with a date because I know they would find it uninteresting and not get what I was saying anyway. The biggest problem I see in the IT business is the insane amount of unpredictable hours we work and the miserable callouts coming at all the inopportune times. No problems with dates with this IT Geek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 10:59 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_fly_12 View Post
I work in IT (gal here) .. and am the only gal among all men. I'm not a gamer.

All the guys I work with are hilarious. They are super smart, extremely witty and very fun to work with. They are all either married or have long time GFs. They are less stuck up on looks in women and all have great significant others.
This is pretty similar to my experience as far as knowing my husband's coworkers. They are all really smart, pretty funny and they're all in relationships/married. None of them are awkward, but yeah, they are a little nerdy and several are definitely introverts (which is not a bad thing, btw).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I used to be an engineer magnet when I was younger, but I do not date or attract this kind of engineer. I think I don't come across as traditional or conservative enough for their tastes.

The ones I know tend to be highly frugal and politically conservative. Often extremely religious, they are married to practical well-scrubbed women who work in traditional jobs like nurse or grammar school teacher or are stay at home Moms. The kinds of men that are good husband material, but not the boyfriend who sweeps one off their feet. They marry young and have long lasting marriages. I went to a college known for engineering and many of my college friends married this guy. The women are the kind who do not require a lot of attention.
None of the IT guys I know are politically conservative or religious. In fact, they are almost all atheist or agnostic. I wonder if this is a regional thing or something because this doesn't describe any of the IT people I know, and I know a lot of them. They all live in or around Chicago though.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:34 PM

248 posts, read 259,087 times
I'm not an IT guy exactly but an engineer, and I do a lot of programming/hardware stuff. Pretty sure I'm one of the few people among my co-workers who is single, which kind of sucks... I'm younger than many of them though (23) so hopefully it's acceptable.
I'm not super nerdy though I do like video games and comics, but I know enough to not talk about that kind of stuff around a girl.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:45 PM

188 posts, read 209,669 times
I married an IT guy. Telecom engineer currently.
Really into tech stuff, comics, video games (PC gamer), etc.

In high school he was president of the science club, champion mathlete and took advanced tech/computer classes. When he wasn't being a nerd, he was captaining the football team, winning wrestling trophies, running track and getting laid.

I don't think being an IT/ techie nerd is a turn-off. I think poor social skills and assumptions based on stereotypes are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships