Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 04:47 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,447,211 times

Advertisements

She might be worried that it will cause repercussions that will make her work life a terrible ordeal. Is he her superior?

Despite the fact it is highly unethical and probably illegal, the kinds of issues this kind of report will cause may be more than she's prepared to handle.

Encourage her to firmly ask him to stop if it happens again. Take notes of the time, date, and situation each time something sexually uncomfortable happens between them.

If it doesn't cease after she asks him to stop, then she will need to report it. Odds are, she's not the only victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:53 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4 View Post
I didnt say anything as i didnt want him to feel it was bugging me or like you say getting a reaction out of me. Im just questioning to myself why my girlfriend didnt say anything and how this has just come about out of nowhere, for him to do it twice and her not to say anything just looks like she enjoys it from him, either that or she doesnt know what to do about it.
This is something she has to do, not you.

You will be the controlling, untrusting boyfriend if you start something.

Talk to her. If she needs your backup then be there for her.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:56 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
This is the reason keeping romance out of the office is a good idea.
This incident has caused you to be distracted from your duties as a paid employee.

It is up to her to tell this man to keep his hands to himself, if she does not tell him that is her choice.

Keep your personal life out of the office and it is usually best to keep Romance, Religion and Politics out of the office as well.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:04 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
This is something she has to do, not you.

You will be the controlling, untrusting boyfriend if you start something.

Talk to her. If she needs your backup then be there for her.
If this guy is doing it in front of you, he's testing you. Don't take the bait. And don't make this about you when you talk to your GF about it.

Let her know you'll support her in whatever she chooses to do.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:55 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,669,806 times
What kind of job do you do?

Old 05-11-2015, 10:15 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
She might be worried that it will cause repercussions that will make her work life a terrible ordeal. Is he her superior?

Despite the fact it is highly unethical and probably illegal, the kinds of issues this kind of report will cause may be more than she's prepared to handle.

Encourage her to firmly ask him to stop if it happens again. Take notes of the time, date, and situation each time something sexually uncomfortable happens between them.

If it doesn't cease after she asks him to stop, then she will need to report it. Odds are, she's not the only victim.

^^^^ this.

I have taken lots of crap at work (sexual harassment) because I didn't want to stir up too much trouble for a simple little touching here and there, until I got older.

I am assuming your gf is pretty shy and the coworker is using her niceness to mess with her.

She needs to put her foot down. Not you. She needs to handle it.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:31 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
If a guy touched my fiance's ass I'd deck him in the face.

If she liked it or encouraged it, I'd dump her.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:35 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4 View Post
Im going to bring it up with my girlfriend again tonight. Neither of us are confrontational people but thinking about it I dont think its right, I just dont get why she doesnt say anything to him as she usually tells people to back off over things like that. Part of me is like its only a pat on the ass but still he shouldnt be doing it should he.

Everyone at work knows that we are together, i just know i wouldnt do that to a fellows colleagues girl so why should i have to put up with that too.
Technically, it's sexual assault. It's completely unacceptable in workplaces in the US. I take it you're in the UK. Are there workplace regulations about that sort of thing?

Old 05-11-2015, 03:38 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post

That's what sexual harassment regs are for; to prevent backlash. If she reports it, and he causes some kind of problem for her, he'll be toast.

Who is this guy, OP? Is he a supervisor? Is he well-connected with management, so he thinks he can get away with this? What gives?

If I were in my 20's, and some guy did that to me at work, I might be too shy to confront him, but I wouldn't be too shy to report him to the office manager or Human Resources, if I knew there were policies against that.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:39 PM

5 posts, read 4,039 times
Just had an evening with my girlfriend and i brought it up that it had bothered me. She said she was sorry for how it effected me and she didnt realise how it looked. She mentioned to me that she has told him a few times in the past to not be so touchy with herself and after seeing how he was yesterday he clearly doesn't get the message.

My girlfriend has told me she will have a firm word with him if he does it again, im sure its only a matter of time as he seems to think its a fine thing to do. If i see him do it again i will have a word myself, i dont want to overreact but its not nice seeing my girlfriend being touched up by a man double our age and i think it just shows disrespect to myself and my girlfriend.

He is not our superior, we are all the same level at the moment i just feel she feels a bit akward making a scene, but she shouldnt have to feel like she has to put up with it, and im not going to.

Just to be clear i didnt blame my girlfriend at all in anyway, just that i felt uncomfortable seeing how he was with her yesterday and that she shouldnt be ok with it. I might make him sound like an old perv but we do all get on, its not like hes a creep that nobody likes, but he still shouldnt be acting that way towards my girlfriend or any girl at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships