Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 02:30 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times

Advertisements

So, here's the thing with Facebook. Everyone on here always says - "Oh, people's lives probably suck but they just make them look good - so don't feel bad! They are all miserable liars!" And that's not really the point. The point is that it doesn't matter if they are happy or not. Seeing other people miserable shouldn't make someone happy. I can understand that when you are in a bad place, it's hard to be happy for other people - and that's why you should stay off of Facebook. Because you shouldn't compare yourself to other people. When you are in a place where you can be happy for others - then you can get back on Facebook.

We are all on our own path and things happen at different times for all of us. Focus on being positive and things will get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 02:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
People who get depressed at facebook are also people who are going to get depressed by ANYthing they see that indicates to them that others might have things that they don't have. Staying off facebook won't help change attitudes and outlooks, it will just avoid one of many potential triggers. I used to live with a guy who would be alternately rage-y and despondent if he saw on social media that somebody he considered to be "less" than him had accomplished something he hadn't. But if he wasn't on social media, he would react the same if he heard about, say, a colleague at work getting some recognition he hadn't, when my brother bought a bigger house in a nicer area than he had, when confronted by people who had cars he considered nicer than his, went to better schools than he did, worked for more well-known companies than he did, etc. It wasn't like social media was the problem...insecurity was the problem. Warped perceptions were the problem.

The comparing game doesn't go away if you stop looking at facebook. It requires a major attitude adjustment, and the conscious decision that you're going to stop basing what you value in life upon how it compares to the choices of others.

If you spend all your time basing your own self worth on whether or not others have things you don't, or whether or not you have things others don't, you're probably a pretty miserable excuse for a person, overall.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
So, here's the thing with Facebook. Everyone on here always says - "Oh, people's lives probably suck but they just make them look good - so don't feel bad! They are all miserable liars!" And that's not really the point. The point is that it doesn't matter if they are happy or not. Seeing other people miserable shouldn't make someone happy. I can understand that when you are in a bad place, it's hard to be happy for other people - and that's why you should stay off of Facebook. Because you shouldn't compare yourself to other people. When you are in a place where you can be happy for others - then you can get back on Facebook.

We are all on our own path and things happen at different times for all of us. Focus on being positive and things will get better.
Exactly.

If your personal happiness is based upon supposed confirmation that others have crappier lives than you, and that happiness is only possible if you have "beaten" other people, you've got problems.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:37 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times
fakebook and all this other irrelevant stuff has no place in relationships

people break up/dsivorce over nonsense on a damn website

fakebook is control and manipulation...the fact that everytime you go somewhere on the internets you often see something that says "sign in thru facebook" hmm

Old 05-11-2015, 02:38 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
You need to start watching more True Crime shows.

Almost every one is about some husband who decides to murder his wife.

It may make you thankful you have never gone there.

At least no one you love will chuck you off a staircase in the dead of night.

What I'm trying to say is, those Marriages look Wonderful from the outside looking in. Inside looking out? Not so much sometimes.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:41 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
fakebook and all this other irrelevant stuff has no place in relationships

people break up/dsivorce over nonsense on a damn website

fakebook is control and manipulation...the fact that everytime you go somewhere on the internets you often see something that says "sign in thru facebook" hmm
I love Facebook. I love seeing what friends and relatives that I haven't seen in years are up to. I love seeing people's families, pets, trips, etc. I love being able to keep in contact with people that I had lost touch with years ago. It's not all control and manipulation. It doesn't cause breaks up or divorces. People do that all on their own.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
f

Right.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:46 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I love Facebook. I love seeing what friends and relatives that I haven't seen in years are up to. I love seeing people's families, pets, trips, etc. I love being able to keep in contact with people that I had lost touch with years ago. It's not all control and manipulation. It doesn't cause breaks up or divorces. People do that all on their own.
tru. you know i mentioned this only because this is what fakebookers say

i suppose its what you make it

it seems you use it for good, while other/most people seem to use it to generate bad feelings like jealousy and depression

i see posts here and its usually always the latter

Old 05-11-2015, 02:49 PM

You seriously think other people use social media with the intent of "making" others feel badly about themselves?

Sheesh - here's reality: People feel badly about themselves, or they don't. Nobody can "make" you feel badly about yourself. You do that on your own. And nobody's using Facebook to gaslight you. If you feel like a loser when you look at others' social media, online discussion forums, etc., that's 100% on you.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:04 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You seriously think other people use social media with the intent of "making" others feel badly about themselves?

Sheesh - here's reality: People feel badly about themselves, or they don't. Nobody can "make" you feel badly about yourself. You do that on your own. And nobody's using Facebook to gaslight you. If you feel like a loser when you look at others' social media, online discussion forums, etc., that's 100% on you.
I think some people use social media to make THEMSELVES feel better.

I'm not thinking of people who post here and there, but people who are constantly gushing about how wonderful their SO is, or who can't go out for a drink with some friends without tagging everyone there and posting 10 pictures of every drink they have. I really don't understand the motivation to make a post about everything that ever happens to you except that you are trying to validate your own life through the likes and comments of others. Seems sad to me.

After I got a divorce, I will admit Facebook made me sad. It wasn't that I was unhappy for people who were getting married, starting families, etc. but it just made me sad that they had something I longed for. People are only human and I understand what OP means. I think some of us are just trying to point out to her not to put too much stock into what people write online. It isn't always the truth and other people are struggling in their own ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships