Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 01:03 PM

74 posts, read 102,497 times

Advertisements

I'm an extremely shy (and awkward) person and have never had a girlfriend. I'm 21. I really just don't see why a girl would date a guy like me. Whenever you hear about a 40 year old virgin living in his parents' basement, it is the shy guy. Man, even ugly people and poor people can get girlfriends. I feel like being shy is the worst trait possible when it comes to dating (and a lot of other stuff). Any shy men have success with women?? How did you do it?? And any women in a relationship with a shy guy?? How did you meet?? How shy are you/ is your bf??

Last edited by worthlesshuman; 05-16-2015 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 01:29 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,384,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthlesshuman View Post
I'm an extremely shy (and awkward) person and have never had a girlfriend. I'm 21. I really just don't see why a girl would date a guy like me. Whenever you hear about a 40 year old virgin living in his parents' basement, it is the shy guy. Man, even ugly people and poor people can get girlfriends. I feel like being shy is the worst trait possible when it comes to dating (and a lot of other stuff). Any shy men have success with women?? How did you do it?? And women in a relationship with a shy guy?? How did you meet?? How shy are you/ is your bf??
Hehe, come to think about it, none of my ex's were shy guys, and were the aggressors who pursued.

I personally dig shy men. I love shy guys. Always have. My problem is, when I like a guy, I get shy myself. So it's really hard for two shy people to meet.

But, shy men are beyond sexy to me. That's why they have match-makers. Haha.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:37 PM

24,215 posts, read 16,899,255 times
It sounds like you should be getting out more and trying to talk with people. Get yourself into social situations where you can have a chat with someone. Male or female.
For the shy Practise does make Perfect.
If you are looking to date why not try online dating. It is easy to message with someone and get to know them a bit before meeting in person. The more you type the more you will loosen up and the more you will have to talk about when you do meet.

It might not be love at first sight but with the more dates you get you will gain experience for when the right girl comes along.

Women like a confident man but not overbearing.
Speaking of confidence your name Worthlesshuman speaks volumes about you. If you need counseling, get it and move on. Life is too short to not get into it so get out and have some fun.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:46 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,878,648 times
My husband is very shy in personal situations but not professionally, which is very interesting. It's like I am married to two men. ☺️ Anyways, I am pretty outgoing and not shy so I know what I say when I tell you that many women LOVE a shyer guy. Just don't be shy with the woman you are interested in. Put yourself out there to ask someone out and be yourself. Shy, smart men are the best husbands IMO!

Old 05-16-2015, 01:49 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,552,039 times
Stop thinking about yourself.

I mean it.

I honestly think that a big part of so-called social anxiety is TOO MUCH FOCUS ON YOU.

If the entire time you are worried about what the other person thinks of you, why they don't like you, whether they notice what a useless loser you are, you are doing it wrong.

Try thinking about the other person for a change. Turn your focus completely to them, learning about them, LISTENING to them. Get to know them, which is the entire point of SOCIALizing.

Take yourself out of the equation, focus on the other person, and watch your "anxiety" lessen.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:02 PM

788 posts, read 1,267,427 times
First of all, your issue isn't that you're shy, it's that your username is worthlesshuman. Being shy won't keep women away, but not having any value for yourself will push them away and allows them to treat you like garbage. So start there. Realize your value because I guarantee you have plenty of value and progress from there.

I currently adore a shy guy, but it's a difficult situation because I work with him. He's a sweetheart, incredibly smart, a good guy, but painfully shy. Most of the guys I've dated have been anything but shy, but I'd actually be happy to date the shy guy because he'd be less likely to cheat than the more aggressive types I've dated.

So, my advice to you is to work on your self-esteem. Shyness isn't what's going to turn you into the 40-year-old virgin, but your lack of self-worth likely will. Or, if not the virgin, the man who's been beaten up and abused by worthless women, so don't let that happen. Maybe you need therapy. Maybe you need positive relationships. Maybe you need to do some volunteer work. I don't know, but figure out what works for you and use it to develop your self worth. And stop referring to yourself as a worthless human - you're NOT worthless.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:06 PM

2,729 posts, read 2,681,936 times
My husband is a shy guy. I drag him to altar so maybe just need a woman who puts things in order

Old 05-16-2015, 03:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,182,237 times
I pretty much always gravitated to the shy ones. Sometimes it went nowhere because they couldn't seem to come out of their shell, but that's the brakes; no one wants to be in a one-sided relationship.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:49 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,169,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthlesshuman View Post
I'm an extremely shy (and awkward) person and have never had a girlfriend. I'm 21. I really just don't see why a girl would date a guy like me. Whenever you hear about a 40 year old virgin living in his parents' basement, it is the shy guy. Man, even ugly people and poor people can get girlfriends. I feel like being shy is the worst trait possible when it comes to dating (and a lot of other stuff).
The best piece of advice I can offer you is to just get out of your shell. I was extremely shy in my more youthful years, I was awkward as crap around the opposite sex (still am in some ways), and I fumbled over my words because how nervous I was. It was more due to being way too self-conscious and afraid of looking like a moron. At some point, I became tired of not getting any, and just make my intentions known after I have known a woman for more than 30mins. If she is into me, she will flirt back and may even go into raunchy territory before I do. If she's not into me, she simply won't go there. Since basically saying "F it", I have yet to have a woman flat out reject me.

There's also a chance they might be equally nervous as you are. Just relax, man.

Last edited by Creature of the Wheel; 05-16-2015 at 05:18 PM..

Old 05-16-2015, 04:50 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,552,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post

It was more due to being way too self-conscious and afraid of looking like a moron.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships