Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 09:27 PM

924 posts, read 1,021,139 times

Advertisements

Sorry to be rude, and sorry this might be looked down upon, but I was wondering if anyone has a list of states that allow waivers for alimony and/or spousal support? Primarily, florida and colorado.
Would a prenup be able to protect me from alimony pay? I probably make an agreement where ill pay for an entire year till she gets back on her feet if things dont work out, but I do not believe for life.

I know this is looked down upon, but yes, I am having doubts proposing due to the fact if things just do not click a few years from now, I will still have to award that person alimony. We met, we moved in together in an apartment and now talking about engagement. Lack of trust, yes you are right. I hear stories quite often where someone cheats, divorces, and still gets awarded alimony. Do I think she will cheat and divorce me if I decide to go through with this? most likely no, but is there a 100% guarantee in this world? Then again, its my problem to deal with whether I should continue on, or not. But till then, I am just wondering which states allow waiver of alimony. I am curious about it. Does not mean I will or will not do it. I mostly likely will, but i most likely wont marry also. Who knows, maybe I am better off just staying single for this reason

regardless, is anyone willing to help? that would be great! thank you

Old 05-16-2015, 09:49 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
Have an attorney draw up a prenuptial agreement with whatever stipulations you demand and have her sign it before you get married.

It is easier to not get married.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:03 PM

if I do decide to get married, or break it off, dont know yet. Might just have to talk to my gf and ask to not get married and I know that will bother her and bring huge problems, but its my end for being so scare some

if I do decide, to get married, can that protect me from alimony or some kind of agreement where we can split all assets, property, car, savings, but not alimony and my retirement. is there such thing. I am going to get an attorney regardless, but just to have an idea and help me make my decision. I tried researching online, but there really is not much information on that or personal experince

Old 05-17-2015, 04:48 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
There is not a pre-nup in existence that a good attorney can't convince a judge to throw out. If you are that paranoid, don't get married. You certainly don't sound like you are ready to commit your life to someone else, with the cavalier way you note that it might not work out in a few years.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:06 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
There is not a pre-nup in existence that a good attorney can't convince a judge to throw out. If you are that paranoid, don't get married.
I disagree. Prenups are not uncommon. OP, you don't "have your fiancee sign" whatever you stick in front of her. She has to have her own lawyer review it.

Quote:
You certainly don't sound like you are ready to commit your life to someone else, with the cavalier way you note that it might not work out in a few years.
This is I agree with. If you're already anticipating and planning for divorce, don't bother.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:54 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
TIf you are that paranoid, don't get married. You certainly don't sound like you are ready to commit your life to someone else, with the cavalier way you note that it might not work out in a few years.
This.
OP, please do not get married. You are already planning to fail....

Old 05-17-2015, 06:03 AM

thanks for the reply. Like I mentioned before, I probably wont get married; then again, it is my problem. Obviously, I will have to talk to her and she obviously wont like it. Am I a paranoid person, oh yeah. Reason, I came from the gutter and worked hard and failed so many times, then finally able to make a living by myself.

Also, I used to work for a cook. He told me how he met this women at a party a few years back, just coming from another country. Long story short, he was madly in love, she was not. She filed for divorce a few years later and she has half his things plus paying alimony. He told me he thought this would never happen and should have done a prenup. Would you guys have agreed?

but for you guys, would you say everything is 100% for certain? are you 100% sure your marriage will last a life time? To the women: what if you made 3x the salary that of your husbands. 10 years later, he just wants out and you are forced to pay alimony to your EX. And you CAN NOT say that will never happen, unless you predict the future. Wouldn't you want some sort of protection?

opinions?

Old 05-17-2015, 06:13 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
Consult a divorce attorney...if you can't tell the difference between a division of property and spousal support. Then tell the attorney what you want to do and have the attorney draw up these papers for you and your fiance to sign. Do you have a fiance? Or is this, as others have suggested, for planning purposes to go with your committed attitude toward relationships.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:22 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
You're failing again. Get meds or counseling for the paranoia. Don't get married.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:22 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
OP, to be honest, if you have these kind of trust issues now then why are you considering marrying this woman? Also, if you are viewing marriage as some kind of trap which is going to harm you financially, why would you consider marrying anyone?

I would certainly NOT trust a prenup to avoid the potential of alimony. An alimony award is going to be given based on each individuals financial situation and the length of the marriage and not based on the stipulations of a prenup.

Although, OP, do you make considerably more than your gf? If your incomes are about the same, the chances of alimony shrink significantly. Usually it is awarded when one spouse is a stay at home spouse, or there is a significant income disparity where one spouse would not be able to be immediately self sufficient on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships