Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:13 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times

Advertisements

You have to love them and like them. Too many don't like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 10:23 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
I think love is enough, that it has to be on both sides, and that people who "fall in love" with people who treat them horribly do not really know what love is yet because they are damaged enough to believe that someone who loves them would be okay with seeing them hurting in such a way.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:41 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
Love is not enough to me. Sorry, Love doesn't pay the bills, or guarantee much of anything--it's an emotions, and it can be fleeting. People fall in and out of love all the time. You need more than just "love", you NEED to be compatible, have similar core values, similar goals, and have a friendship and foundation to hold the relationship together. Love is nice and it's needed obviously, but without the other components, unfortunately it is NOT enough. At least not to me. I learned that the hard way.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:03 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I agree. You could easily love someone who is toxic for you. You can also be in love with someone knowing in the end it's not enough to keep you together.
Concur.

I don't know the history people are referring to in here OP but no, love by itself isn't enough.

I also dont know your plans. Just to be in love? Great. Get married and stay married? You need a lot more than love, especially if you want to raise kids with this person.

Plenty of people are wildly in love on their wedding day then down the road grow to resent each other and treat each other poorly.

Love is fun and nice but it does wear off. The chemical reaction calms down and you are left with what? I hope in your case commitment and a deep friendship. That gushy fun ride doesnt last forever, well usually.

Last edited by magpiehere; 05-22-2015 at 03:25 PM..

Old 05-22-2015, 02:05 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
There was a song about love not being enough. I hated it. Because it brought to light that it was true for me and my husband. We were not compatible. I did love him, and still care about him. We are divorced now. I just texted him and asked him if he wanted some tamales. I still care for him, but do I want to live with him? Hell no.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:17 PM

432 posts, read 362,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugosvoice View Post
Love does not equal compatibility. Just because you fall in love with someone doesn’t necessarily mean they’re a good partner for you to be with over the long term.

Love is Not Enough
This just proves that the term "Love" has been twisted in so many ways.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
There are many components to love. Some of what the writer states I can buy. While there may be attraction, chemistry and all that, it is not the sum of the whole that is sustainable love.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:23 PM

85 posts, read 62,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
There was a song about love not being enough. I hated it. Because it brought to light that it was true for me and my husband.
"There's a danger in loving somebody too much,
and it's sad when you know it's your heart you can't trust.
There's a reason why people don't stay where they are.
Baby, sometimes love just ain't enough."

Great song.

EDIT: Oh whoops I just saw that you hated it. Sorry, i wasn't rubbing it in.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:59 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
I was in love with someone long time ago. He was not a good guy, not at all. He was different when he was with me. Then he was different to other women and with guys. Piece by piece I got to know his trueself. He acted a total different person with me and I could not look such a liar. Of course I was already deep in my feelings. It was very hard to say no always when my heart shout out yes. It hurt, it made me cry. But now I know I did a right thing.

Love with a right person is enough

Love with a wrong person is not.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:15 PM

31,046 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Hell, you can love a drug addict, an alcoholic, a child molester, someone who beats you.

Many people have known all the above. A girl who I date was molested by here step father. Her mother and the step fathers bio children are still with him because they love him. Wonderful thing this love is

I won't even stay with someone who is too far right or left politically, but I guess if I was truly in love with them I wouldn't care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships