Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 02:25 PM

615 posts, read 726,043 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1950s, when Charlie wanted to ask out Susie, did he have to plan out his exact words, body manners, the exact number of days after the first date before he would call her for a second date, try to be somewhat elusive so as to seem busy and uninterested, read books on how to look for "I.O.I.s", figure out whether he was in the friendzone, put a lot of thought into whether to split the bill, etc.?

In other words, would a CD Relationships even need to exist back in the good ole days, or was the same nonsense happening and on the same scale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 02:29 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
There has always been angst in the dating realm. Yes, guys got nervous when they had to call a girl, some were too shy to go after the one they liked, there were always players among the guys, guys playing games to try to seem disinterested. There were all kinds of people then, as there are now; some straightforward, some into playing games. The only difference may have been that back then, a guy's friends would support him and egg him on to call or talk to the girl he was interested in, if he was too shy.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:31 PM

432 posts, read 362,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Back in the 1950s, when Charlie wanted to ask out Susie, did he have to plan out his exact words, body manners, the exact number of days after the first date before he would call her for a second date, try to be somewhat elusive so as to seem busy and uninterested, read books on how to look for "I.O.I.s", figure out whether he was in the friendzone, put a lot of thought into whether to split the bill, etc.?

In other words, would a CD Relationships even need to exist back in the good ole days, or was the same nonsense happening and on the same scale?
Probably not.

The same masculine traits are still attractive today however. Despite the efforts from feminism trying to go against nature, the same feminine/masculine traits are still attractive today. I feel masculine and feminine traits were more promoted back then compared to now.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:41 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Back in the 50s or today guys have to show they have what it takes to convince a woman he can be a good partner. He will show he is fun to be with by picking an activity that she can enjoy. He will show he will be respectful of her by showing a good relationship with his mother. He will show he is a good provider by being generous in the date. He will show he can protect her by being a gentleman. He will show he will be romantic throughout time by not only doing romantic activities or sending flowers every once in a while. Etc. etc. I don't see how these things should change through time.

A man's good character shouldn't have an expiration date or be something of the past. We still have to show these traits whenever we may consider a relationship or how can we expect a woman to be interested in us?

Old 05-22-2015, 03:25 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
I can easily see how dating would have been a lot simpler back then. Nobody on their cell phones 24/7 since they didn't exist, no internet (thus, no online dating apps, FB, Instagram, etc.), no PUA stuff (or at least not even existing back then), minimal TV (no binge watching Netflix or what not), etc. A lot of people are just so indoctrinated to their phones nowadays, and online dating apps and what not just give people too much choice, and feel like the perfect person is just right around the corner (which isn't the case, nobody is perfect).

With how I am, I sometimes feel as if I grew up in the wrong generation. I would have loved to have grown up in the 70's/80's.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:38 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
I can easily see how dating would have been a lot simpler back then. Nobody on their cell phones 24/7 since they didn't exist, no internet (thus, no online dating apps, FB, Instagram, etc.), no PUA stuff (or at least not even existing back then), minimal TV (no binge watching Netflix or what not), etc. A lot of people are just so indoctrinated to their phones nowadays, and online dating apps and what not just give people too much choice, and feel like the perfect person is just right around the corner (which isn't the case, nobody is perfect).

With how I am, I sometimes feel as if I grew up in the wrong generation. I would have loved to have grown up in the 70's/80's.
Sure there was PUA style back then. It just wasn't packaged and marketed. But check out Eddie Haskell, in the Leave It To Beaver shows. He totally gamed Wally's parents, or tried to. Gaming people was the only mode he knew. And Wally would be kinda awkward on the phone when he had to call a girl for a date, and would be real polite. There was a whole protocol back then, that's pretty much gone now, because everything's more informal now. Now we just hang out with the women we're into, until we're ready to kick it up a notch. In some ways, it's easier now.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:48 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Sure there was PUA style back then. It just wasn't packaged and marketed. But check out Eddie Haskell, in the Leave It To Beaver shows. He totally gamed Wally's parents, or tried to. Gaming people was the only mode he knew. And Wally would be kinda awkward on the phone when he had to call a girl for a date, and would be real polite. There was a whole protocol back then, that's pretty much gone now, because everything's more informal now. Now we just hang out with the women we're into, until we're ready to kick it up a notch. In some ways, it's easier now.
Well, that's why I said PUA didn't exist in the form of marketing and packaging so to speak.

I think in my case, I kind of wish it wasn't informal.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:10 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Sure there was PUA style back then.
PUA is terrible watching!

These dating shows are full of these pua-guys today and it looks AWFULL when a guy tries to force a girl for this and that. Yes, we can see how this girl is pulling herself away from him when a guy is trying to "lead" her.. Disgusting.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:22 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
One way it is easier: it is more socially acceptable for Susie to do the asking, so now the pressure isn't all on Charlie.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:43 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
In 2030 people will talk about how the 201x's were so good and how people were upstanding citizens.

In the 1950s people couldn't believe how the crazy teens acted.

There's a million and one threads on every single subject about "how the old days were better"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships