Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 11:58 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times

Advertisements

This isn't a whiny thread about why I'm single, it's the opposite actually.

I have noticed that when I'm single and not looking, I am ten times happier than when I'm single and looking or when I'm dating. Being single and not looking, I feel free, like a kid. I don't have any emotional baggage weighing me down or distractions from what I really want to do. I'm not anxiously waiting for a text or being paranoid about getting hurt or if I'm going to hurt somebody. And when I do think about my exes I just shrug it off and say it's the past. I feel like I have more control over my emotions and I feel more confident.

It's lovely to feel this great and high but once I start thinking about dating or looking, it makes me anxious and paranoid. I feel I have to guard myself and I just don't like the feeling overall. I know I made a thread not that long ago and I concluded I should not date for a while. This has been a pattern where I'm dating and I feel like crap so I take a break and I feel great and on top of the world and think I'm ready to date again but once I do, I fall back into the slumps. This makes me wonder if I'm just meant to be completely single (no fwb, absolutely nothing at all) then if it's been proved time and again that I'm just happier being single and not looking? I take it this is why so many people actually choose to be single? I hope to be with somebody one day and have it work out but I just don't know how if history shows that I've much happier alone than when I'm not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 12:18 AM

102,185 posts, read 107,790,902 times
No, you're not meant to be forever single. You're meant to overcome the need to guard yourself, so you can be your genuine self with women. If you have a history of bad choices, figure out what the red flags were that you missed. One reason why some people find love when they're least expecting it is due to your experience; they're happy and fulfilled when they're just enjoying their life without worrying about finding someone. They radiate positive energy, and that draws positive people to them. So keep up the good work, and don't freak out and close yourself off if a woman approaches you.

Don't worry. Be happy.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:25 AM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
This isn't a whiny thread about why I'm single, it's the opposite actually.

I have noticed that when I'm single and not looking, I am ten times happier than when I'm single and looking or when I'm dating. Being single and not looking, I feel free, like a kid. I don't have any emotional baggage weighing me down or distractions from what I really want to do. I'm not anxiously waiting for a text or being paranoid about getting hurt or if I'm going to hurt somebody. And when I do think about my exes I just shrug it off and say it's the past. I feel like I have more control over my emotions and I feel more confident.

It's lovely to feel this great and high but once I start thinking about dating or looking, it makes me anxious and paranoid. I feel I have to guard myself and I just don't like the feeling overall. I know I made a thread not that long ago and I concluded I should not date for a while. This has been a pattern where I'm dating and I feel like crap so I take a break and I feel great and on top of the world and think I'm ready to date again but once I do, I fall back into the slumps. This makes me wonder if I'm just meant to be completely single (no fwb, absolutely nothing at all) then if it's been proved time and again that I'm just happier being single and not looking? I take it this is why so many people actually choose to be single? I hope to be with somebody one day and have it work out but I just don't know how if history shows that I've much happier alone than when I'm not.
Some of the best advice I've ever received was this...

Trust your gut....

What does your gut tell you??

Believe in yourself..... learn to know what you want.

All this goes away when you say F it to what you "think" you should do and just do what your gut is telling you... this is of course assuming were talking about normal things... LOL...

It sounds like you might be better off being single, but again... trust your "gut"

No one can tell you what is really right for you at the end of the day.

Best luck to you...

Old 05-24-2015, 03:35 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
I don't know that it means you are meant to be single but I can sort of relate. It took me way to long to learn that I'm a poor judge of character and tended to be attracted to the wrong people. And yes, "looking" and being in new relationships brought out the worst in me, jealous, paranoid, insecure.

I think you might need to know yourself a little better and figure out what kind of person brings out the best in you. When I'm on my own I'm fine with myself. In relationships my very deep insecurities come out. So I needed someone who could soothe that.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:46 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
It is awesome to live your life as it fits best for you! If you feel the life is best when you are single, then enjoy! Also you don't have to label or make your mind up. Be single entire your lifetime except if you meet someone who makes you feel better than being a single. Nobody ask if you swing your side

Old 05-24-2015, 04:59 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
It is your life. Live it the way you want to.

If the time comes that you feel like you want to share your life with someone, you will know it.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:14 AM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Some people are single AND happy. So, why not??

Old 05-24-2015, 02:10 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,274 times
I can certainly relate to several of these posts, including the OP. I'm in the good, not looking, not caring phase right now. It'd be nice to have someone, but I'm enjoying what I'm doing and what I have going on right now. Of course, that could change tomorrow or next week, but I'm perfectly happy right now.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:14 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Dating is rough, constantly wondering if he is ok with you sucks.Seems communication is best to have open.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:16 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
I've stopped looking, but only because of how frustrating it is. I've pretty much given up. Maybe that means a miracle will happen and I'll meet her, finally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships