Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:15 PM

102 posts, read 244,483 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving 7 hours away and would like to keep in touch with my family through Facebook (most of them have a Facebook) but my boyfriend thinks Facebook is stupid. My boyfriend and I have been together for 10 years now and he doesn't like the idea of me having friends or being on any type of social media because he worries about guys trying to message me and stuff. I'm not a huge fan of Facebook myself but I want to be able to keep in touch with my parents, post pictures, ect.

I would restrict the Facebook to friends and family only, but my boyfriend still thinks it's stupid. I have always kinda gone along with him when he says that Facebook is stupid, but really I wouldn't mind having one. My dad always tells me to make one and I feel bad because the only reason I don't do it is because of my boyfriend.

My boyfriend is my only friend but I don't mind because I don't really care about having a bunch of friends. I'm socially awkward anyways. He is a really good guy, just jealous and paranoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 08:17 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freealex View Post
He is a really good guy, just jealous and paranoid.
Then he is NOT a really good guy.
You should keep in touch with your family however you see fit.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:18 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:

He is a really good guy, just jealous and paranoid.

I guess you know these are two major problems.

But anyway ...

If you are an adult and you want to have a FB account, do it. If he's not on FB, what does he care?

Don't let him control you.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:26 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
Danger, Will Robinson, Danger.

Anyone and everyone should know by now that if a boyfriend tries to cut you off from family and friends, he is up to no good.

Are you or are you not a grown woman? If you are not, then you should not go away with your boyfriend.

However, if you are, then you can do whatever the h e l l you want to and you do NOT need permission from ANYONE, boyfriend or not. If BF has a problem with it, then that is HIS problem, not yours.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:35 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,182,547 times
It seems like he is controlling and wants to keep you isolated. That is a big red flag, especially when combined with jealousy and paranoia. It doesn't sound like a good idea to move far away from your support network of family with a guy who wants to limit your contact with them. Are you sure that this move will work out well for you? (Note that I said for YOU, not just him.)

Old 05-25-2015, 08:39 PM

102 posts, read 244,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Danger, Will Robinson, Danger.

Anyone and everyone should know by now that if a boyfriend tries to cut you off from family and friends, he is up to no good.

Are you or are you not a grown woman? If you are not, then you should not go away with your boyfriend.

However, if you are, then you can do whatever the h e l l you want to and you do NOT need permission from ANYONE, boyfriend or not. If BF has a problem with it, then that is HIS problem, not yours.
He doesn't want to cut me off. He loves my family and we all do things together. He just doesn't like the idea of Facebook, it has nothing to do with him not wanting me to talk to my family. I am 23 and I would move in a couple years. We both want to move to southern Utah.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:44 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,212 times
Quote:
I plan on moving 7 hours away and would like to keep in touch with my family through Facebook (most of them have a Facebook) but my boyfriend thinks Facebook is stupid. My boyfriend and I have been together for 10 years now and he doesn't like the idea of me having friends or being on any type of social media because he worries about guys trying to message me and stuff. I'm not a huge fan of Facebook myself but I want to be able to keep in touch with my parents, post pictures, ect.

I would restrict the Facebook to friends and family only, but my boyfriend still thinks it's stupid. I have always kinda gone along with him when he says that Facebook is stupid, but really I wouldn't mind having one. My dad always tells me to make one and I feel bad because the only reason I don't do it is because of my boyfriend.

My boyfriend is my only friend but I don't mind because I don't really care about having a bunch of friends. I'm socially awkward anyways. He is a really good guy, just jealous and paranoid.
Jealous and paranoid are not the hallmarks of a really good guy. Your boyfriend is very controlling, doesn't want you to have friends, is isolating you from your family, and is so insecure that he doesn't want you to have a Facebook account to keep in touch with your parents because he's worried that other guys will message you. These are red flags and often indicate an abusive person. If someone truly loves you they will not try to control you and keep you away from your family and friends. Be very careful because once you are seven hours away from your parents it may escalate.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:45 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
He doesn't want to cut me off. He loves my family and we all do things together. He just doesn't like the idea of Facebook, it has nothing to do with him not wanting me to talk to my family. I am 23 and I would move in a couple years. We both want to move to southern Utah.
Don't you have Aspergers?

Old 05-25-2015, 08:46 PM

9 posts, read 8,351 times
Your boyfriend is very insecure. That's fine, but don't let that aspect of him control your life. Do what you want. Don't listen to him.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:01 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,331 times
Ugh.... Please just end it. You're 23? How old is he? You are getting yourself into a dangerous situation! Isolation is important to abusers. You have no protection.

He doesn't have to like Facebook or anything you like for that matter, but he should NEVER stop you from doing them or make you feel bad about it. You may be a couple, but you are still your own person capable of making your own decisions and he doesn't have to like or agree with them, but he should support you no matter what.

Seriously, find someone else or be single and enjoy yourself for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships